Whats your H-body task today?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Whats your H-body task today?

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:41 am

Mine involves project Sunbird. I have 3 stock snowflake rims that have old tires that need to get dismounted. I packed them into the Aveo yesterday evening, and I'm headed to a used tire place for a dismount. With that I'll have 4 rims that will be ready for a clean-up and new tires.

New tires, then a battery, then ins/registration/plates and the Sunbird will be back in action... well as soon as the weather clears which should be in like 3 more month's!
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Re: Whats your H-body task today?

Postby macman » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:36 pm

Sounds like your getting there Marco i spend weekend burning branches from trees cut down to make new driveway yo new garage hope to have that built before new winter.
macman

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:36 pm

Yep, here they are. ready for a clean up. I dug out the lug nuts and and made sure they were all in good shape. I didn't realize how scarce 185/ 70/13" tires have become. The 205/60's are looking non-existant.

I'm wondering how it would look if I painted all the insides white to match the body of the car. Gold to match the accent...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:55 pm

Pontiac used to colour match the wheels with the "Honeycomb" GTO/Trans Am wheels in the seventies, but the snow flakes I remember were always gold. You might want to try a spray bomb of white before you clean up the wheels for a "test flight", it will wash off easily if you get to it quickly (a day or less) with methanol alcohol so it won't add any real amount of work to your resto, and you can eye ball them beside your car before you commit to an expensive paint choice you end up hating, or you may just LOVE it. Just some food for thought Marco, keep us posted and post up some pic's if you try some alternate colours (black or a dark gray?). Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby dadhad1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:03 am

Today i got all my aluminum trim back on the car after being redone. All went well. Looks unreal. Couldn't believe what they were able to do.
Now we wait for spring!

Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Postby firebird77clone » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:56 am

On my 77 firebird, I painted my snowflakes white background, with red on the face edge. Made them resemble bloodshot eyeballs, but looked great. ( the car was white with red accents )
firebird77clone

Postby 75_2+2 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:01 pm

I guess I didn't do it today, but I did buy another set of rims for my Monza. I had to give my old ones back (don't know why, they haven't moved since I dropped them off at Dad's house). I ended up putting steel wheels on the car until I found these on craigslist. I guess I need to update my profile one of these days (among other things). The car still needs a bunch of work. Hasn't changed much over the years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1975 Monza 2+2
75_2+2

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Diesel Dan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:42 am

Yesterday worked on descaling the rust on the floor boards.
Maybe throw on some eastwood rust encapsulator paint today, drop the fuel tank and lines.
floor2.jpg
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby bbcowboy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:25 pm

My task for today and the next few days is to finish off the body work and the rear belly pan.
Byron

Cosworth Vega #0756 (IMSA inspired CV)
Cosworth Vega #1044
bbcowboy

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby kgroombr » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:59 pm

75_2+2 wrote:I ended up putting steel wheels on the car until I found these on craigslist.

I really like those wheels and have been trying to find a set for a while now. I have found plenty of them in the 6" width, but I really want the 7" width. Of course P205 60r 13 tires are getting nearly impossible to find.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby 75_2+2 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:15 pm

kgroombr wrote:I really like those wheels and have been trying to find a set for a while now. I have found plenty of them in the 6" width, but I really want the 7" width. Of course P205 60r 13 tires are getting nearly impossible to find.

Ken

I found these by total chance. They were on Craigslist 2 hours from me for like $150 for the set. I called him and bought them before I actually laid eyes on them. Drove up to get them that day right after I got off work. They are in really good shape for their age and I am really happy with how they look on the car.

Yeah, I need tires. The ones that came with the rims don't hold air for very long (obviously from the picture). I haven't looked for tires yet, but I know it will be a pain. My normal tire shop can't get them (so they say anyway). I figure I will probably have to find them online and order them. It took the tire shop almost 2 weeks just to get the lug nuts to bolt the wheels on with - these require mag nuts.

These wheels look way better on the car than the steel ones that I had on it. The steel wheels were way to narrow for the car.
1975 Monza 2+2
75_2+2

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby beakerztoyz » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:42 pm

my task was adding to the exhaust system on my 80 sunbird to get it to come out the back of the car instead of out in front of the back tires :bang: sometimes we gotta do shit we dont wanna do. between my pipe bender and my welder and I we managed to get both sides over the axle theres a bit left to do but that was enough for today.
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby mrj52 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:32 pm

i have givin up on the factory starter, It cranks real slow when hot even wrapped up in a ton of carsonagenic material and some 0/2 gauge battery cable.......Sooooo I bought a new GM mini starter. Time to drop the headers and try er out. Hope it works.
1977 Buick Skyhawk-----Under modification
mrj52

1977 Buick Skyhawk

Postby crawfw » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:04 am

Working on radiator fitment. Replacing a 24x19 aluminum single pass that was fabbed in. Bought a 24x19 dual pass to eliminate the inlet issue running into the power steering. I already have the rotatable thermostat housing so I figured going over the alternator would be an easier solution.
However the dual pass has an outlet angling up. The removed radiator had an outlet angling inward. Having a tough time getting a lower hose to fit properly without flaring on the hookups.
Not going to fill until I feel everything is to my liking. Position of radiator and hose fitment.
I also didn't realize I would have to remove my hood prop rod. Lol
The filler is on the drivers side and wouldn't allow the rod to lay flat. Minor issue though.
Any suggestions on the lower hose would be great. May possibly cut and reweld the outlet to help with angle.
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Return to General Discussion