boughta nice set of stop hops

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

boughta nice set of stop hops

Postby chevyart » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:12 am

recently bought a set of the stop hops that way bad had for sale, made by his friend that is a fabricator. they are perfect replicas of the original ones made decades ago by a california suspension company. they are perfectly milled and welded and look much stronger than the originals that were made long ago. he even supplies the grade 8 hardware for the install. look at the way his car launches in his recent race video. guess they really work like they are supposed to. dont know how many sets are left, but if you need stop hops, i would suggest contacting him. art
chevyart

Re: boughta nice set of stop hops

Postby b_pappy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:53 pm

I've been eyeing a set, just not sure I will need them, and my car is coming along way too slow. Do they bind up the suspension a lot with normal driving?
Bruce
b_pappy

Postby waybad » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:09 pm

Thanks Art.. i have one more set left if anybody wants them.. glad you liked them
Tinker
Tinker
waybad

Postby chevyart » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:49 pm

hey bpappy. cant see the stop hops binding up our suspensions at all. all they do is raise the back end of the rear upper control arms , which in some way stops wheel hop without influencing our every day driving of our h-bodies. probably one of our members could explain how the stops hops work. art
chevyart

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:16 am

Art,

How it works is a suspension theory called "instant center". If you draw imaginary lines through the centerlines of the bushings of the upper and lower control arms, where they intersect is called the instant center. For the "Reader's Digest" version, in the factory configuration the IC is in front of the front bumper. What the hop stop bars do is bring the IC back to closer to the center of the car, which helps plant the rear tires instead of make the rear end squat.

Naturally, there's more to it involving the center of gravity of the vehicle and the imaginary line from the contact point of the rear tire up to the level of the center of gravity at the front axle, but you get the idea.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby chevyart » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:18 pm

chuck. that is a good explanation with the sets of imaginary line intersecting at differtent points along the cars chassis. i guess the reast of the theory is about leverage. i just know that the anti hop devices really work. dam wheel hop can knock your teeth fillings out. art
chevyart

Postby 73astregt » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:32 am

hi art, I can testify that the hop stops do work, I was lucky enough to find an original set of hop stops in Toronto b4 I moved to Nova Scotia in 2012 and finally got around to installing them on the astre this summer, wow what a difference! my car went from violent wheel hop any time the tires broke loose slightly to being able to mash the pedal and smoke the tires right off if I wanted! only trouble with that is now I need a set of tires I can burn off and not care about lol! :twisted: :th: :dance:
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby chevyart » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:30 pm

the next step is slicks and good safety axles and then the rear tires will be planted andthe the fronts up in the air. go for it art
chevyart

Return to General Discussion