Monza vs Sunbird tail lights

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Monza vs Sunbird tail lights

Postby 75Monz » Wed May 23, 2018 2:20 pm

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to swap tail lights on a notchback coupe from a Sunbird to a Monza...is it possible? Used to have a 76 Sunbird and liked the look with the chrome overlay much better than the Monza's basic lens. Just could not remember dimension wise how close they were.
Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose, but still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.
75Monz

Re: Monza vs Sunbird tail lights

Postby classic_cruiser » Thu May 24, 2018 1:24 pm

I'm pretty sure they do not interchange. The size of the Monza tail light is not the same as the sunbird - you would have to swap the sheetmetal as well. There was a thread with some comparison pics on this site, I'm trying to find it...
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Re: Monza vs Sunbird tail lights

Postby 75Monz » Thu May 24, 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks Classic, sort of figured as much. I have a very bad memory, but I may have figured this out before because I found a sketch in my H body folder on coupe tail panel removal, but looked like the plan was to do a blank panel and put in early vega fixtures flush. Your Sunbird pic as your avitar looks like the twin of my old Sunbird...minus the few rust spots showing through on mine, lol.
Some people are like slinkies. They serve absolutely no useful purpose, but still put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.
75Monz

Return to General Discussion