Aftermarket LS Oil pan?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Aftermarket LS Oil pan?

Postby n8thenetninja » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:08 am

I got my pan on, and the engine started finally. (swapping cylinder heads at the same time slowed me down a bit. heh.) With the correct torque and the GM gasket it seems to be sealing. I have only run it for a few minutes on jackstands though, so time will tell if it stays sealed. The steering clearance is much better than my bashed in Hamburger pan was. That's definitely a plus.
n8thenetninja

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby n8thenetninja » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:26 am

Update: After getting it put back together and road worthy, I took it on several test drives to calibrate shift points, then drove it around town a bit (probably 3 hours or so total), it lost half a quart of oil to a drip on the rear of the pan. :bang: The rear drivers side was the worst place for warpage, so I'm pretty sure it's the pan. It's of course possible that it's coming from my rear cover or rear main seal, but I don't think that's the case. My plan from here is to loosen up the pan bolts, check for foreign particles on the gasket, then try gooping it up with RTV before torquing it down again. I hope something works because I'm tired of losing oil. It's bad enough that I'm worried about getting black flagged at the drag strip. I'll post more when I know more.

P.S. When I have more information compiled, I may post a review on the entire powerbyace conversion kit and customer service experience...
n8thenetninja

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:27 pm

look to see if it is the fitting that can be drilled for oil oil sender that is on drivers rear of pan.
monzaaddict

Postby n8thenetninja » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:27 pm

I put a plug where the oil level sensor would go. It doesn’t seem to be leaking from there
n8thenetninja

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm

any updates?
monzaaddict

Postby n8thenetninja » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:24 pm

Sort of. The oil pressure/oil cooler delete plug (I think Corvettes use it?) the pan came with was on upside down (maybe to pack easier?) with the gasket flipped and slightly offset. Seems like he just finger tightened the bolts and then painted over it. After flipping that around, and tightening it down with a little RTV, the problem seemed a little better. It is still leaking from the rear of the pan, and since the flexplate is there, I can’t reach up there to goop it up with anything. I’m afraid I’m going to have to remove the pan completely in order to clean it off and put a layer of RTV on the gasket. I didn’t have the time to do that at the time, so for now I’m just watching the level until I can pull it all apart again. I also tried re-torquing the bolts without much success. :|
n8thenetninja

Postby Old Rob » Tue May 14, 2019 12:41 am

n8thenetninja wrote:Sort of. The oil pressure/oil cooler delete plug (I think Corvettes use it?) the pan came with was on upside down (maybe to pack easier?) with the gasket flipped and slightly offset. Seems like he just finger tightened the bolts and then painted over it. After flipping that around, and tightening it down with a little RTV, the problem seemed a little better. It is still leaking from the rear of the pan, and since the flexplate is there, I can’t reach up there to goop it up with anything. I’m afraid I’m going to have to remove the pan completely in order to clean it off and put a layer of RTV on the gasket. I didn’t have the time to do that at the time, so for now I’m just watching the level until I can pull it all apart again. I also tried re-torquing the bolts without much success. :|

They don't remove the oil bypass. It's left as it comes from the manufacturer. The end user should have removed it to do a final cleaning. All parts should have final cleaning before assemble. There are several ways things can get contaminated before assemble. Not worth the risk.
The only problem there has been with the pan installation has been with the windage tray not being modified as per instructions. "IF THE WINDAGE TRAY IS NOT MODIFIED PER INSTRUCTIONS, THE PAN WILL RIDE ON THE PICKUP TUBE AND POSSIBLY CRACK, LEAK WHEN INSTALLED." If the windage tray was not modified, the oil pickup tube most likely is now bent. Straighting is all but impossible, even on the fixture. Luckily most people get a wobble and either email ACE tech or read the instructions. If instructions are followed a full length tay will work
Leaking at the rear is odd as all the welding affects the front of the pan. Most rear leaks from the LSx engines are from the rear seal housing. I know over 60 of these completed pans have been produced. The first two were trashed and this is only the third one to have a problem, to which I know ACE tech was never informed.
Old Rob

Postby n8thenetninja » Tue May 14, 2019 1:42 am

Yes, I trimmed the windage tray before installation. It would be pretty obvious that something was wrong if I hadn't, and I'm not in the habit of brute forcing things together. I haven't contacted ACE tech yet because I've been debating whether it would do any good or not. However, since ACE seems to have contacted me on the forums, (correct me if I'm wrong Old Rob) I suppose I might as well email them as challenged. I'll post the results of that conversation here whenever it's resolved.
n8thenetninja

Postby n8thenetninja » Wed May 22, 2019 11:59 pm

Update: I pulled it all apart again and reinstalled the pan using a GM Performance one piece gasket (instead of the OEM AC Delco I used the first time), and put a thin bead of RTV on either side of the gasket, along the outside of the rubber part (to avoid squeezing it into the inside). Unfortunately while torquing it down again (to spec according to the manual), one of the rear cover bolt holes lost it's threads. It's been helicoiled once already, so I left it and torqued the rest down. When the engine warms up, it still drips from that corner. :bang: Since that bolt is loose, I can't say with certainty that the leak isn't due to that this time. I won't know until I pull the transmission and replace the cover. My theory right now is that since the leak was also a problem when there were two bolts in the rear cover, there's either a problem with the oil pan like I originally thought, or there's the possibility that there's a problem with the rear cover gasket or rear main seal. It's always hard to see up there, so anything is possible.

I probably won't have a chance (or motivation :bored: ) to pull it apart again for a couple weeks. I'll eventually post an update with what I find.

I have also been corresponding with Rob at ACE about the issue. He asked some questions and told me to try the RTV thing I mentioned above. He hasn't had a chance to comment about the results yet. Obviously he can comment here as well if he wants.
n8thenetninja

Previous

Return to General Discussion