Meeting Body man tomorrow

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:17 pm

Painters are a funny group. Can't tell you how many friends have had their cars in "paint hell", meaning the job always takes longer (sometimes much longer) than originally thought. You are also right about very few places willing to do a complete car. Most prefer the in and out insurance work rather than a "complete".
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby barebonesracecars » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:33 pm

cjbiagi wrote:.....You are also right about very few places willing to do a complete car. Most prefer the in and out insurance work rather than a "complete".

....which leaves the professional restorer shops....there goes your money!

I'm considering a pro shop in Cincinnati that specializes in Pontiac restorations, if he will do a Buick :?: May have to call Brad C. and get a name for a Buick painter when the time comes. :wave:
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:03 pm

Or do it yourself, that's what I did.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby barebonesracecars » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:04 pm

UGH...that's a job I will always farm out. I can paint suspension pieces & such, but I don't have the nerve to tackle a car.

I never did like painting anyway. :swear:

Hey Dwight....maybe Clyde is volunteering his services.......? lmao
Reid

barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

update

Postby bugdewde » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:17 pm

- Tank is out---trunk/hatch area is in poor shape. I'll post pics later.
- Driveshaft/tranny/bellhousing out--- had to jack the front of the engine up to lower the rear of the engine in order to get to one bolt on the clutch side of the bellhousing :!:
- Having trouble getting the passenger side motor mount unbolted. Back of Ratchet hits starter, won't go over nut........ open/box end wrench hits engine on one side, frame on other :evil: Been trying to find the right size wrench to remove the starter, to no avail. It feels like an allen head bolt.. I can't remember what it was when I pulled the starter this winter???. Got way irritated and had to come out from under there!

Had to come upstairs and eat a PB&J........ I forgot to eat today and was getting irritated and weak. I'm on my second one!

Reid,..... yep, the stroker motor is in the works, too. Still need a few parts:
-Rear main seal adapter(to 300 crank) gets rid of old rope type seal.....
-Adapted flywheel to mate the starter and ring gear. 300 crank is 0.56" longer than 215.
-Larger clutch for flywheel(I think it's 10.4") currently stock 9.5"
Gotta contact D&D Fabrications(215 Guru, Dan LaGrou) to get any other parts and pieces I'm sure I'll need.
I've got the basics on hand........ 300 crank, 300 front timing cover(for correct timing marks), 300 harmonic balancer on the way.

Clyde....... You're hired. You work for PB&Js, don't ya?????
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:43 pm

I don't think I could eat that many PB&J sandwiches the rest of my life :D I was trying to give you some inspirtation! I did mine out of desire and necessity. I always wanted to know how to paint and I couldn't afford to have it done to my expectations. It's a LOT of work, I don't even think I would want to paint my whole car again. I do have to do some touch ups now and then, ................
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby barebonesracecars » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:39 pm

....I couldn't afford to have it done to my expectations....

I think I have that disease, too. But I still don't want to do it myself.

What brought all this on, Dwight? This new site getting you all itchy? :dance:

Another thought....can you modify that mount so you can put the bolt in the other direction? May be useful someday.
Reid

barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

UPDATE

Postby bugdewde » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:12 am

My motivation came from the fact that a bodyworking friend of a friend was coming over to look at it. He's out of work and needs $$$$.......... I need bodywork, so does my buddy. I wanted to be done by fall....... Large / popular car show here in the fall.

Never mind, though......... Just found out tonight that he can't do the work. Didn't even come look it over. He's trying to find a normal job so he can buy a house(living at parents). ...... .... ..... or that's the story my buddy told me tonight.

I'm not as motivated, but I'm still gonna keep strippin'...... (that sounds bad). Motor is ready to be lifted out. One problem, need a way to attach the lifting device to the motor. No lifting tabs on the intake or anything. Gonna hit one of the parts stores tomorrow to see if they have one of those plates that mount to the manifold in place of the carb for lifting........

I'm considering sheet metal for the spare tire and hatch area...... No tubs, but mini tubs would be cool......... hmmm . Naw. Just thinking out loud.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby v8astregt » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:12 pm

Bodywork and paint is the greatest skill I learned. Nothing like having a paintjob worth $5000, with people asking who did it. Then telling them you did it myself for $500. Very worth it. Saves me a ton of money no doubt.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

ENGINE OUT

Postby bugdewde » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:22 pm

Pulled the 215 out today. No lifting provisions on the intake anywhere and I didn't want to possibly damage the rockers by lifting with a chain on the exhaust manifolds.......... bought a nifty load balancer thingy that attaches to the intake manifold.

Used a chain fall to lift out of Vega. Pretty much done with the component removal........ may work on the body some more (rust removal and cover up with primer)........ or tackle the front and rear suspension stuff........ bushings/balljoints, etc........ Gotta do something!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

bugdewde

Previous

Return to General Discussion