Took the Astre on its inaugural drive today!

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Postby v8astregt » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:46 pm

Thanks again for all the replies!

So I'm gonna do some measuring today. I wanna see what the biggest Griffin I can fit would be without hanging down a foot. I think I'll do that, then I'd like to think about doing a different fan setup. Right now, I have a single 12 or 14" plastic flexalite fan, with a single electric fan up front.

Will I benefit more if I were able to squeeze in two puller fans out back with a shroud? The mechanical fan doesn't seem to do that much, and with the odd shaped radiator, it sticks up and down too much, that a shroud would have to be very complex to work. So I think if dual puller electric fans would work, that might be better.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby erock805 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:01 pm

great lookin car...I wont be pumping out your power but i am sure i will have the same issues as the rest of you. good luck on finding the cure...
erick in AZ
http://www.myspace.com/erock805
http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/erock805
73 vega wagon
61 Econoline PU
Road King
34 ford PU
94 bagged crew cab dually
06 GTO
two rat head kids
erock805

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

RE Overheating

Postby danarmstrong » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:02 pm

Hey Josh,
Keep us posted on the cooling problem, I would like to know how you resolve it because I plan on working on mine soon, Seeing all these h body people working on their cars has givin me the fever, I am thinking of moving my radiator forward to give me aout 4 to 5 inches clearence and look into having a dual puller fan w/ shrouds custom made for mine. I am fairly confident that will fix my problem.

Have you ever talked to Jim on v8monza site, his screename is Myvega, he is an older fellow , retired with a bad ass wheel pullin, street legal vega, he has no overheating problems and I am running about the same cooling setup minus the fans so far.

Later and Good Luck Keep us posted.
Dan
danarmstrong

1977 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby barebonesracecars » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:39 pm

Two smaller fans on the engine side would likely give you more core coverage than a single large one. Not sure if the extra restriction caused by the built-on shroud would hurt or not, though. You'd have to study them, and compare cfm specs.
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby v8astregt » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:02 pm

Well my Ron Davis aluminum radiator should be here next Wednesday. I'll probably get around to ripping the old stuff off before the weekend. I'm gonna try to get it going with the same setup I have now. If I can get it reasonable with just a radiator swap, I'm gonna feel real good when I get to doing all the little things.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Previous

Return to General Discussion