Dolores Gumm - V8 H-Body Talk moderator has some words......

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Bacchus » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:22 am

v8astregt wrote:It seems that the majority of the people have made the switch. It's pretty quiet over there.

I know how you all feel about abandoning ship, but in this case, technology needs to take the win. This board it TONS better than EZboard.

It's always been quiet over there. This isn't something new.
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

1974 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby v8astregt » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:31 pm

Bacchus wrote:
v8astregt wrote:It seems that the majority of the people have made the switch. It's pretty quiet over there.

I know how you all feel about abandoning ship, but in this case, technology needs to take the win. This board it TONS better than EZboard.

It's always been quiet over there. This isn't something new.

It hasn't been an extremely active board, but then again, it's never been to where there are only like 6 posts per day, and now the only posts really seem to be about the future of the site.

Meanwhile on this site, I log onto here every couple hours and there are like 20 new posts in that time. This board is much more active.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Mounts ?

Postby Buscop » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:16 am

barebonesracecars wrote:Using the stock base, along with a readily available GM mount, should be enough.

My nephew has a state of the art CNC Machine shop business that specializes in stainless steel and other exotic metals. When I took in a set of stock GM mounts to him he said he could easily fabricated a set out of stainless steel for me. Then asked how many would I like. So making these mounts isn't a big deal for the right people. So if they were made in Canada would that be a problem? :?: Just a thought at this time.
Russell G Hilder
1949 Model Wife
1979 Monza Wagon
2007 Harley FLHTCU
2009 Dodge Dakota Laramie
Buscop

1979 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby barebonesracecars » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:26 am

I believe Patent law applies everywhere, but some countries refuse to recognize other's intellectual property and such; EX: China. I'm sure Canada has no problem recognizing American patents, and vice versa.

That being said, I don't believe using the stock mount base, adapted to a common truck mount, would be an infringement. Bob's mounts are completely new.

If you're going to start manufacturing completely new mounts, there may be case. However, if Colin is correct, there is no actual patent pending on Bob's mounts. Obviously I am not a lawyer, so I would recommend doing your own research.

Now, if you are referring to International shipments, you could always talk to your Post Master (or equivalent).

Didn't help much, did I?
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Hey DJTY!!

Postby Monza Madness » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:15 pm

That must be a picture of a Two headlight fast back. Looks like the header panel is a little loose, those headlights are moving all over the place. :P Must be from that lopey cam, rumpita,rumpita,rumpita :wink:
Roger
79 IMSA TPI 350 A/C 700R4
79 Spyder 305 A/C 200r4
Monza Madness

1979 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby Bacchus » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:07 pm

Patents are good for 17 years in the U.S. To get a patent in another country, you have to file int hat country.

I'm guessing GM has let the patent on the mounts expire so copying them would be no big deal. A quick patent search would tell you that. However, it's doubtful that those mounts were ever patented to begin with. There isn't anything of real intellectual property about the mounts anyway.

Ask your cousin how much he will make them for in runs of 100. I will fund them and sell them at a modest markup (with a discount to club members).
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

Postby ColinOpseth » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:10 pm

Bacchus,
Should you choose to do that I will make a shopping cart for you...for the modest price of a few sets of mounts in exchange or something along those lines. Anything to further the hobby!

I have built shopping carts for over 5 companies. One of them was a multi-million dollar wheel and tire business is San Diego.

Later,
Colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Bacchus » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:17 pm

ColinOpseth wrote:Bacchus,
Should you choose to do that I will make a shopping cart for you...for the modest price of a few sets of mounts in exchange or something along those lines. Anything to further the hobby!

I have built shopping carts for over 5 companies. One of them was a multi-million dollar wheel and tire business is San Diego.

Later,
Colin

I have, for several years, offered to fund the development, marketing, and selling of hbody products, but only providing that I get all rights to the product itself. I have tried to buy the design of Bob's mounts (even though I don't have to as they haven't been patented) and even offered to buy him out of his Don Hardy deal. I didn't want to go to Hardy direct because I do think Bob is providing a great service over there. BUT, there can be a lot more done if someone has the right mindset and funds to get it done. You have to make money on this stuff in order to make it stick. There is no question about that. No one will seriously take a run at a catalog of hbody parts unless money can be made. But that doesn't mean gouging people. There is a lot of risk in buying up 100's of parts, paying for designs and tooling, etc.
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

Postby ColinOpseth » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:19 pm

I totally agree.

I'm glad you're willing to take the initiative and make some of the hard-to-get parts for the H-Bods. I also will do what I can but funds are limited on my side. My expertise is in building webpages, anyway.

If I can be of any assistance at all please let me know. I'll do what I can.
Take care,
Colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Bacchus » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:23 pm

If I can get enough people to identify the right parts they need, help identify current sources of suppliers, etc. I can put a catalog together for that.

Helping with the webpage would help. I could sponsor part of this site in return for a storefront.
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

Postby djv8ga » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:54 pm

Bacchus...We need those lower control arm bushing washers. They would be cool in stainless. (Are you reading this Russell?)
djv8ga

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby OldsStarfire » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:18 pm

Unfortunately getting a patent on a low volume aftermarket part like this makes no financial sense. It costs about $3,500 plus you have to pay maintanence fees every year, plus if you wanted to defend it you would have to sue and that would cost tens of thousands.

Many many inventors have gone broke (and made their lives miserable) defending their patents. The inventor of FM radio even jumped out his high rise window to his death!

Jeff
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby AusRs » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:34 am

do you also realise if you re manufacture ANY GM product for restoration ......you need to have in licensed by GM OR risk getting the pants sued off of you !
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby Bacchus » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:32 am

AusRs wrote:do you also realise if you re manufacture ANY GM product for restoration ......you need to have in licensed by GM OR risk getting the pants sued off of you !

Not true. If you make it exactly like GM did, then you may be in trouble. If you make it different (e.g. make it out of a different material, modify the design, etc.) you are pretty safe.
Last edited by Bacchus on Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

Postby Bacchus » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:32 am

OldsStarfire wrote:Unfortunately getting a patent on a low volume aftermarket part like this makes no financial sense. It costs about $3,500 plus you have to pay maintanence fees every year, plus if you wanted to defend it you would have to sue and that would cost tens of thousands.

Many many inventors have gone broke (and made their lives miserable) defending their patents. The inventor of FM radio even jumped out his high rise window to his death!

Jeff

Patents cost a lot more than that. I am dealing with 176 patent applications at my company right now. Our budget for this year is $750k, and that will only clear off about 40 of them.
1974 Vega Wagon
2007 Jeep GC LTD HEMI
2002 BMW 330XI
Bacchus

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion