Stripped Torx bolt removal - two pics for those on dial up

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Stripped Torx bolt removal - two pics for those on dial up

Postby bugdewde » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:08 pm

Stripping everything out and off the '72........ AGAIN!

I've got one seat belt torx bolt that is stuck and stripped. The rear seat retracter crowded by the fold down seat frame....... a real jewel to play with.

Stripped it out with the T-50 socket.
Broke 4 large screwdriver tips that came with the Impact Remover thingy that you strike with a hammer..........
Decided to drill it out and use an extracter...... broke the first bit .... it's still in the torx bolt!!! Drillled another hole next to the stuck bit and got the extracter in and it bit down but I was afraid I was gonna break it, too....... IT WON'T BUDGE!!!!!!!

I'm embarassed to admit, I've toiled with it for 3 hours now with not one bit of success. I can't get anything on the head of the bolt because of the danged folding rear seat back bracket and the seat belt retracter. There's no room!

ADVICE??????

Here's a shot of the teardown:
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby heinz057 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:22 pm

weld a nut to it then use a socket
heinz057

1978 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Busted Torx bolt

Postby vega_man_larry » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:32 pm

If enough thread is protruding through the floor maybe you can get purchase on the bolt with a pair of vice grips to get it to start moving? The fastener has a taper and is designed to wedge itself into the hole. I too have had an interesting time trying to get them loose at times. Good luck. Heat may also help to loosen it. Heat up the area around the screw to try to get the metal to expand and loosen the grip on the screw, if you have all the interior and carpet out of the car.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:19 pm

It may also help to apply some heat to the threads on the body from underneath the car before attempting to loosen it. Mine were also quite tight but I managed to get them loose this way. Obviously be careful whenever using an open flame under the car.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby barebonesracecars » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:21 pm

Another possibility is a cold chisel and hammer.....try unscrewing it by driving it loose.

Or an air chisel....cut the head completely off, then drill out the threaded part. I'd do that as a last resort, though. I despise drilling out bolts..especially hardened ones. :cuss:
Last edited by barebonesracecars on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby AusRs » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:27 pm

had the same problem in the monza on the lhside

go underneath and cut the rest of the threaded area off then
drill the hole out and get a very strong screwdriver (flat blade hopefully a square shank one) that almost fits in the hole ,next get a bfh hit the screw driver to jam it in the hole
next step is a pair of vice grips (good ones) and try to turn the stuffed torx screw
worked for me .............although it did take about 45 mins to complete the job :(
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby 73Sedan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:29 pm

I managed to remove 2 by Roto-zipping the threaded ends outside the car to a shape that I could use a standard wrench on...also had to heat up the surrounding metal to cherry red glow.

Almost forgot: DON'T heat the bolt and try to turn it this way, I wound up twisting the metal right off in a clean shear (had to start over on very little remaining visible thread)
73Sedan

Postby bugdewde » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:34 pm

All great ideas........ thanks
- No welder
- It looks like the bottom threads are under the lower control arm mount(inaccessable, I think) I'll have to look.
- Heat from the bottom maybe, but the seat belt retracter is covered with plastic!!!!! All I have is a little portable propane torch, though.
- Chisel and Hammer?????? I've been hammering on it for 3 hours with the Impact thingy!!! I'm beat. I might be able to get an angle on it and beat the snot out of it with a chisel.
Guess I'm not gonna get a miraculous cure, eh? Like wiggle my nose, blink and nod a couple times.......... Presto! Thanks Guys!
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby barebonesracecars » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:37 pm

Your propane torch may be enough.

As for my chisel idea, you want to ram the chisel into the head of the bolt sideways...gouge a good bite into the side of it and try to unscrew it.

You may not have room, but that works on other problems sometimes.
Reid

barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby AusRs » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:41 am

barebonesracecars wrote:Your propane torch may be enough.

As for my chisel idea, you want to ram the chisel into the head of the bolt sideways...gouge a good bite into the side of it and try to unscrew it.

You may not have room, but that works on other problems sometimes.

no room for a chisel
you are working in a 1.5 inch x 1.5 inch x 2 inch triangle :(
and the seat belt IS covered in plastic .....options are very limited

i did debate leaving it there and repair the car around it BUT ..not a great idea LOL
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby ColinOpseth » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:50 am

Use a set of visegrips. Clamp those bitches down so hard they almost break. Use another set of visegrips as leverage to turn the bolt out.

Another option would be to take a grinder and cut the seatbelt off. Cut into the bracket itself as close as you can to the bolt. Heat the bracket up with a torch and use a long blad escrewdriver to "tear" the bracket the rest of the way off. Once you do that, use visegrips to get the bolt out.

Sorry, that's the best I can offer other than to weld a nut on. I suppose you could try JB Welding a nut on? Jus tmake sure you get ALL the grease and grime off, first. Use alcohol spirits to do that. DON'T SMOKE!!

Later,
Colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Bolt

Postby bugdewde » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:22 am

Very cramped, indeed. Can't even access it from the sides!
I can access the underside and may try to grind down the sides of the threads so I can use a wrench on it..........

Hey, I wonder if one of my Sears Extractors that goes over the bolt head will fit the threaded side of the bolt underneath???? Probably chew off the threads, but eventually I should get solid metal. I know it won't fit the head, it's too big. Worth a try anyway.

Worse case, I'll leave it until I can carry the car to a welder. All that cutting, beating, chiseling(work) discourages me. :x
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby Phil G » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:05 pm

Maybe get a stud extractor on the bolt from underneath?

:D
Phil G

Postby 73Sedan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:27 pm

Before you grind, why not try to sandwich 2 nuts and wrench on the outer once there tightly together....assuming theres enough thread under there.

CRUD: have somebody weld a plate to the top of a nut to make a cap nut.

Maybe a longshot, but well worth a try.
73Sedan

Postby barebonesracecars » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:40 pm

...try to sandwich 2 nuts and wrench on the outer once there tightly together....assuming theres enough thread under there.

I don't think there is, but that gives me another idea...sort of a combination of what you've already been told:

Weld a nut to the bottom of the bolt...thread it on flush, then weld in the center. Once it's loose, Sawzall the nut off and screw it out from above.

Only problem is, I think you said "no welder". :cuss:
Reid

barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Next

Return to General Discussion