shell gas now claiming no gunk build up.

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Postby greg72 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:04 pm

heinz057 wrote:yea but it all comes from the same place dead dinosaurs

or fast food restaurants.............. :)
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby vegatex » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:13 pm

I'm having a hard time finding 93 Octane in my area to run in the Turbo Vega. Even 92 is rare. There's one Exxon in town that has 93, so I usually fill up there. I'm hoping this won't be as big a problem after we move to KY-- I've seen 93 up there at more stations than in TX.

BTW, we decided on Bardstown, KY. It's about 30 miles SE of Louisville. We even have a house we like, but still haven't sold our home in Abilene.

Later,
Dave
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Postby EagleFish » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:28 pm

Yeah, I was stationed at Fort Knox, KY and lived off-post in a little town called West Point, just outsid Louisville. ('69-'71)
Good luck in Bardstown. :D

John (John and Richard)
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Postby v8astregt » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:24 pm

There hasn't been anything higher than 91 in AZ for as long as I can remember. There are a couple pumps in the valley that carry 100 octane, but that's it.

I like it whenever I go back to Minnesota. There are stations there that actually have letters of thanks from the Minnesota Street Rod Ass. thanking them for carry I believe it was "non-oxygenated" gasoline, or something like that. And of course that was with 93 octane. That was a few years ago. Hopefully it's the same when I go back this summer.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby starfire383 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:49 pm

marco_1978_spyder wrote:Wow, interesting to hear about all the different gas stations out there.

I havent seen an Arco gas station since the 80's. Same with Chevron!

There's actually no shell gas stations that I know of around here.

Maybe one Gulf. A hand full of exxons.
next up probably BP and kwik fill

then Citgo. (my fav).

The rest are all Sunoco, Mobil, Hess.

Supporting Citco supports that Chavez A-hole that calls you and me devils everyday. It's their national oil company.
starfire383

93 Octane

Postby BillB1210 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:20 pm

Dave and other 93 octane searchers,

I believe Sunoco still has 93 Octane. Another option is a mix of 100 Octane Low Lead Aviation gas with whatever you can buy! That is assuming you don't have a catalytic converter. It is expensive, but if you are above 10.5:1 compression ratio, you will need something to go to the "cruise in".

As far a Citgo, I quit using them when it was disclosed that Chavez and Venezuela were the "owners". For me, I wouldn't use it if it was "free" - leave that for the Kennedy folks in Massachusetts.

Sorry for the politics......

Bill
BillB1210

Postby vegatex » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:26 pm

EagleFish wrote:Yeah, I was stationed at Fort Knox, KY and lived off-post in a little town called West Point, just outsid Louisville. ('69-'71)
Good luck in Bardstown. :D

John (John and Richard)

My dad lives in Radcliff, between the post and E-town. I think we're going to like it OK. I prefer not being in the city, and like the small-town atmosphere there. I also like being away from UPS-- you never know who is going to be watching or listening from Management when you live in the airline HQ city. Still, it's close enough to drive to Louisville or Elizabethtown for anything we can't find in Bardstown. Of course the public schools are pretty bad everywhere in KY. Even the people who moved to Oldham County for better schools and spent big bucks for homes out there are now putting their kids in private school. We figure we'll put our kids in the Catholic middle school and HS (St. Joe's and Bethlehem) in Bardstown and still be able to afford a nice home there for less than it would cost in East Louisville or Oldham County.

Plus I'm a UK grad, if that helps!

Later,
Dave
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Re: 93 Octane

Postby vegatex » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:31 pm

BillB1210 wrote:Dave and other 93 octane searchers,

I believe Sunoco still has 93 Octane. Another option is a mix of 100 Octane Low Lead Aviation gas with whatever you can buy! That is assuming you don't have a catalytic converter. It is expensive, but if you are above 10.5:1 compression ratio, you will need something to go to the "cruise in". Bill

Bill,

No Sunoco in Texas, but I know they have it across the river from where we're moving-- southern Ohio. I think they even have a 97 blend! There may be some in KY-- up near the speedway, I think. The 100LL is a possibility-- my compression is only around 8.5:1, but when you hit it with boost, it's probably like a 12:1 NA engine! Right now I'm using Torco additive with 93 to get up to around 97. But the knock is still a problem, so the next step will be Alky...
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

93 Octane

Postby BillB1210 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:42 pm

Dave and all,

The ZZ2 is 10.0:1, which is higher than the current ZZ4 crate engine. It also has a fairly "rough" cam at 238 degrees duration. All stuff I didn't know when I purchased it in 1991, but dug out recently. May need an electric vacuum pump for the power brakes - welcome to modifying cars!

Since the car is over 25 years old, here, I can probably blend a little 100LL to some Sunoco and avoid a "knock". Next winter I will TPI the top of the engine and the computer should take care of the needed timing from there...

I wonder what you need to do to ethanol to boost the octane - perhaps Vodka!

Bill
BillB1210

Postby vegatex » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:59 pm

Actually, I will probably be spraying either windshield washer fluid or a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol and water. Pretty easy to build your own system-- see the link below.

http://members.cox.net/stevemonroe/AlcoholInjMod.html

I will spray it right after the turbo where the adapter bell goes into the manifold. Some companies even sell alky systems for high-compressin NA cars. Might be something to consider.

Bill, either way make sure you get a knock gauge. Casper's sells them with the sensor and Electronic Spark Control module so they can be used as a stand-alone.
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Alcohol/Methanol Injection

Postby BillB1210 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:12 pm

Dave,

Probably a little known fact, but I'm old enough to remember it. The 215 CID Cutlass Supreme had a 215 HP option that used water methanol injection to stop the knock. It was a tank on the drivers side, much like a coolant overflow tank. I believe that was a Turbo car also!

Someone needs to confirm this, but I remember it from a friend's Mom's car.

Bill
BillB1210

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:57 pm

Anyone heard of Delta Sonic?

I think there local...out of buffalo ny or something.

There these car-wash places with the cheapest gas prices and for a while (last I saw-late 90's)they even offered 101 octane.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

DO YOU SMELL THAT SMELL

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:30 pm

I AM SORRY THAT OLD BRAND'S AND COMERCIALS HAVE GONE SOME WHERE,,,, ON BETA , VHS TAPE, WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL THEY HAD PREMIUMN REGULAR,BOTH HAD TET/ETHYL LEAD RED DYE AND (WHITE GAS) LOWLEAD,, THEN AS MEMORY SERVE IT BEST.,,, :arrow: GULF OIL COMPANY HAD A "COMERCIAL" WITH THE 68- 69 ? Z/28 CAMERO GOING UP AND DOWN WHAT LOOKED TO BE A HILLY TWISTY CENTRAL TEXAS,, TWO LANE BLACK TOP, THE CAR WAS OBLOUSLY A FOUR SPEED HITTING REDLINE AND TOUTING THE GULF (BRAND) "NO NOX " ??? :arrow: CALL IT A KNOCK OR CALL IT A PING.,,, (IT WAS MAKING THE PING'S GO AWAY" WITH HEAVY ACELERATION AND ADVANCE AS FAR AS YOU DARED.,, WAS MERGED (TAKEOVER) THE CHEVRON SIGN WENT UP.,,,, WHAT DO THE GULF SIGN'S LOOK LIKE TO DAY :?: AND BACK TO THE SMELL FACTOR.,,,, :arrow: STILL GOT "ORIGINAL" CATALITIC CONVERTERS, :arrow: THEN MAYBE A PIPE SURGERY/FINE TUNE,, BUT AT LAST WE COULD SEE THE METROPOLITAN AREA'STOP OF BUILDING'S LIKE DOWNTOWN HOUSTON, FROM 31 MILES OUT INSTEAD OF 3-15 ON A GOOD DAY,PRE 1974 MIKE,, :arrow: ( I JUST KNOW "MIDEOLDE" GOING TO TELL ME THAT IT WAS FILMED IN CALIFORNIA.,,,,MIKE
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Previous

Return to General Discussion