v8 vega with air conditioning?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Postby VegaRon72 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:44 pm

peterpan wrote:i agree on the place to save info like this cause i have never thought about putting on my 72 so i never payed any attenion to it

but now i have the new 72 that i would like to put ac on so now i need the info

how different is the vega ac firewall from the monza one

witch vega fire wall will be easier to put the monza ac stuff on ac or no ac i have bolth i could swap what ever one is easier

Ray,

I have an evaporator that goes under the dash. My '72 had dealer installed A/C. If you're interested, let me know.

Ron
VegaRon72
User has been banned.

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby vegatex » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:04 pm

EagleFish wrote:Dave,

Nothing wrong with your approach on terminology. I suggested the Gen 1 & @ terms because a lot of h-body people are familiar with them and they are simple, non-confusing terms.

My points being:

1) to make sure that someone wanting to perform and a/c upgrade does NOT think that the only car you can use as a donor is a Monza.

2) that the differences between the 1st and 2nd generation h-body cars are not that extensive.

John (John and Richard)

I wasn't criticizing, I just wanted it to be clear to people reading the Service Manual pages I uploaded. :wink:
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Postby EagleFish » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:08 pm

Dave,

No criticism taken. I, too, was just clarifying my thoughts and position.

John (John and Richard)
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Postby vegatex » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:44 pm

Here's step-by step pictures of the removal of the Heater and AC. Remember, you can separate the heater box from the A/C in a Gen 2 (HM, HR) car and change the core without discharging the A/C. In my case, since it wasn't factory I had to pull the whole thing out (You are actually looking at the A/C box after I put it back in) Note that in the last picture you can see the firewall plate from an early Sunbird (HM, HR for those who downloaded the Service Manual scans) from the inside of the car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Part 2

Postby vegatex » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:51 pm

Remember, you can separate the heater box from the A/C in a Gen 2 (HM, HR) car and change the core without discharging the A/C. In my case, since it wasn't factory I had to pull the whole thing out (You are actually looking at the A/C box after I put it back in) Note that in the last picture you can see the firewall plate from an early Sunbird (HM, HR for those who downloaded the Service Manual scans) from the inside of the car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Postby vegatex » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:04 am

Not the best picture, but you can see the firewall cover plate and the HM, HR blower housing sitting on the cowl before I cot it to fit the AC.
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Postby greg72 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:55 pm

AWESOME post Dave , very very informative!

Colin, Dennis or Marco this needs to be listed in the Best Of category !
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby vegatex » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:50 pm

I'll do a web page article when I'm on my next trip with pictures and stuff from the Service Manual.
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Postby peterpan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:11 pm

i got the parts car today and started pullin parts

whats the chance of the monza controls that mount in the dash fitting the vega dash

i will need to do somthing for the compressor lines someone cut the compressor out the hard way
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby vegatex » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:04 am

I don't know about the Monza controls fitting. If they do, great. But couldn't you just use controls from an A/C Vega? One of those should be pretty easy to find. If you need one, give me a coupe weeks and I'm sure I can turn one up for you. (I'm on my way to Asia for a 12-day trip).

As for A/C lines, either your local A/C shop should be able to fab some up, or you can go high dollar and build your own using the Aeroquip stuff found in Jeg's/Summit.
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

Whats behind door number three

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:22 pm

VEGATEX and h-herd :arrow: Thats the same set up on my 75 monza 2+2 hatchback with factory a/c. :arrow: the defroster ,,The distribution box and heater core,, all the same set up except the controls for the dash are a little different,,,,and I am missiing ( can not find )the "Hole"where the wires that control the outside relay. :arrow: but maybe I can find it now. ,,,,Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby peterpan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:24 pm

i have a ac vega for the parts just was curios about the monza controls i thought i might get away with out changing them but i think they are different after looking at them
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby VegaRon72 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:46 pm

Ray or Dave, either one of you guys interested in that under the dash (dealer installed), evaporator? I'd hate to see it end up at the dump.

Ron
VegaRon72
User has been banned.

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby peterpan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:56 pm

can you post pictures of it

i'm still new to the whole ac thing i used to be one of those basterds that pulled that crap off and tossed it

is it the whole unit or what is it
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby vegatex » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 am

VegaRon72 wrote:Ray or Dave, either one of you guys interested in that under the dash (dealer installed), evaporator? I'd hate to see it end up at the dump.

Ron

Maybe Ray could use it, but I've got my stock A/C stuff working in both cars now.

Dave
Dave English
"Vegatex"
'76 Cosworth Vega
denglish@ipapilot.org
vegatex

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion