Paint

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Paint

Postby SunbirdMan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:18 am

I'm planning ahead for a paint job on my car and will be going with the original color which is 67 Saffron metallic. GM only used this color in 1978. Here's a sample from an f-body site. Although this is not extremely accurate color sample, you can see its very similar to other GM colors. What I'm wondering is how accurate do paint manufactures get when they're formulating these old colors. Are some paint companies known for being more accurate than others?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:58 pm

Generally speaking I would say it should be very accurate with todays technology. Be aware that it may look different from your car now if it is painted that color because of the age factor. It will be mixed at whatever paint store you go to based on a computer selected process. Metallic paint can also vary on how it looks based upon how you spray it.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby starfire383 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:29 pm

It'll also come out different because anything other than bottom of the line paint will be base/clear. And even if you were to insist on single stage for originality, the shop will probably be more familiar with base/clear and you're asking for trouble moving away from what they know. Also the pigments that go into it will be different than what GM used, so even if it's the same, it'll end up different in certain light conditions. Plus they may use a different color primer/base than GM did. Plus the metallic particles will be a different material, and possibly a different shape which reflects differently. Lots of variables.

Good Luck!
starfire383

Postby SunbirdMan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:54 pm

So the individual paint stores have the color formula in their computer and regardless of what brand I choose they will mix up a matching color. I kind of figured I'd need a time machine to ever know exactly what it should look like. I'd like it to match the color inside the trunk.
I'm thinking of painting the engine compartment myself and then installing the new motor and leave the rest of the car to a shop.

Thanks
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:36 pm

Just take your exterior and interior color codes from the plate on the cowl (for the life of me I can't think of what that is called) and they can mix up the paint and dye for you.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to General Discussion