Bugdewde's '73 Vega

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Bugdewde's '73 Vega

Postby bugdewde » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:20 am

Yep..... I've been without a Vega too long. I'm still gonna play with my '72 transformation into an Astre but that will take some time. I miss driving a Vega.

Bought a '73 all original ...... well mostly.... supposedly a sleeved block, and a different rear end... or at least different ratio.... at least one repaint of the original color.

Car has not run in 3 years. Stated it ran with fuel poured down the carb. I have not attempted any troubleshooting or investigative work on the engine (a long story... coming next).

Check out the car!!!! :!:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2964682
Last edited by bugdewde on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby peterpan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:32 am

are you feeling allright cause you got it the sickness :lol: :lol:

that looks like a sweet vega congrats

i might have the peice to fix that lower valance i got a set of blinkers that had that area of the valance still attached but i'm not sure witch side it was

as soon as i get the chance i will go dig threw my garage to see if i can find it most of my vega parts are packed up in preperation for next summers move so i don't know how long it will take to find it if you are interested in it and its the side you need you can have it for the shipping price
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby ColinOpseth » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:49 am

NICE car. Congratulations!!
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby bugdewde » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:50 am

Now for the bad news...... sort of.... at least for me.

Upon the initial outset of the 200 mile one-way road trip, I did not bring a car trailer or money..... I was only going to look it over.

My mother, yes, my 81 year old mother convinced me to bring the car trailer. She really wanted me to get it. :D So, I return to the house to hook up the trailer (my brother wanted to go with me..... I'm sure at my mother's insistance) while I waited on my brother to get ready. Trailer had two flats.... slow leakers... not unexpected. I aired them up a little with a 12-volt pump just enough to get to a station with air.

At the station, noticed the valve stems were dry rotted and air was leaking out of the sides of the stems almost faster than I could pump air into them. :x Drop the trailer off at my brother's when I picked him up........ OK, no trailering it home if I want it. A big IF.....

Left much later than I wanted (11 am) but made the trip a couple hours late. Arrived around 3 pm. Inspected the car....... decided I wanted it...... quite quickly. But what do I do???? No trailer :x .... and worse..... NO MONEY!!!! :evil:

Western Union....... to the rescue. First place the machine was down... had to travel to another place.... clock is ticking..... After finally explaining what my intentions were, the clerks (foreign accent) finally assisted me through the process... The transfer cost me $139 :x

OK... car is paid for. Sign the title and bill of sale. Now, how do I get it home?
U-haul to the rescue.
For $80 I can rent a tow dolly one way. Sign me up, baby. Do the paperwork, etc.... and go out to hook it up and the U-haul dude won't let me have the tow dolly. NO SOFT TOP VEHICLES CAN TOW ANY OF OUR PRODUCTS!!!!!!! I DRIVE A JEEP RUBICON UNLIMITED <<<<SOFT TOP>>>> :evil: (Also no Ford Explorers.....)

What can I do???? It's 5 pm on a Sat. I know most places are closing. Dude says it doesn't matter, no one will rent to a soft top vehicle.
I'm weighing my choices..... go home 200 miles one way and come back tomorrow with another trailer ..... OR..... rent a U-haul truck with a tow dolly for about $250-$300 ???? I opt for the $250 rental. It's raining... it's been a very long and tiring day... I just want to get this thing over with and get home.
Guess what????? One way truck and dolly is in Athens..... about an hour away. I say forget it. I'm tired, P.O.ed and am ready to tear somebody's head off. Just go home, relax, get a good night's sleep.... do it all again tomorrow. What's a 4 hour drive one way.... no problem.

So here I am, it's 11:45 pm.... I've been at this all day.... and I still don't have a Vega here. I'm beat... but I'm excited, too.
WHAT A DAY!!!!!
By the way...... did I mention this danged thing doesn't even run? AAARRGGHHH!!!! :evil:
Last edited by bugdewde on Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby bugdewde » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:53 am

peterpan wrote:are you feeling allright cause you got it the sickness :lol: :lol:

that looks like a sweet vega congrats

i might have the peice to fix that lower valance i got a set of blinkers that had that area of the valance still attached but i'm not sure witch side it was

as soon as i get the chance i will go dig threw my garage to see if i can find it most of my vega parts are packed up in preperation for next summers move so i don't know how long it will take to find it if you are interested in it and its the side you need you can have it for the shipping price

Thanks Ray...... I'll take you up on that. I have a broken valance from my '73 parts car but I'm unsure of what side is the good side..... it's outside... and it's raining cats and dogs... I don't want to go look right now. Just let me know.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby BigTruckDriver » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:07 am

ok, and how much she run ya?
Last edited by BigTruckDriver on Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigTruckDriver

Postby bugdewde » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:08 am

If I get this thing running..... and if the engine is not in too bad of shape.... I've never driven an automatic Vega. I'm sure to not like it as I've only owned 1 automatic in 25 years.

The '73 parts car has a complete 4-speed set up.......
or one of my T-50 5-speeds with the '72's modified crossmember..... it's gonna be out of commission for a while anyway.

Hmmm..... it's a sickness. I don't even have it home yet and thinking of mods. I really want to leave this one alone.... but I hate autos.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby bugdewde » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 am

BigTruckDriver wrote:ok, and how much she run ya?

I'm too embarrassed to say....... I paid way too much for a non-running Vega. It's listed on Craigslist in the Atlanta area if you want to dig and look.....
I just can't say it.... it hurts too much!
I was weak.... I had H-body withdrawals.... I haven't driven mine in over a year. I was weak..... very weak.
The car smelled great... the undercoating was awesome. Paint was all one color (look at my avatar), no real rust, all electrical works... except the A/C... No belt... compressor was probably bad. Swing out windows and seals were good.... no cracks on the dash.... I was weak.....

Seller inherited it from his dad.
Seller got colon cancer 3 years ago and during the ordeal, the car just sat. They're hoping to move soon and he was clearing out the place some..... apparently the cancer was taken care of.

Did I mention it had a glass pack for a muffler? Oh, I was weak.
Dwight

bugdewde

Postby CW » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:39 am

Sweet car. Nice find 8)
1978 Buick skyhawk, just bought, parked since 1984, 65000km
1988 GMC S15, 355, th350, TCS 2800 stall, 3.73 posi, suicide hood, extreme wheels, 3-4" drop. (Being built with & for my 14yo daughter)
1985 s15 jimmy 4x4, future v8 swap project.
CW

Postby 80 MONZTA » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:38 am

bugdewde wrote:I don't even have it home yet and thinking of mods. I really want to leave this one alone.... but I hate autos.

You know what it really needs, is a Buick 215 and a 5 speed :devil:

Pretty nice looking car!
LeRoy
1980 Monza, 305/Th350 removed for LS1/T-56 swap, can't wait to :burn: My Project
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cdnvega » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:52 am

that is a nice one i saw it on cl awhile ago wish it was close to me.. lol
1972 gt wagon
1972 vega h/b project
1977 astre h/b
1973 vega parts car
1975 astre wgn parts car
cdnvega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby cdnvega » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:00 am

1972 gt wagon
1972 vega h/b project
1977 astre h/b
1973 vega parts car
1975 astre wgn parts car
cdnvega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby jon72vega » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:49 am

Nice score, Dwight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jon72vega

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby HotfootGT » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:12 am

Dwight. Are you comming down 75 past Marietta to get it? I'm 9 miles east of 75.

Saw that post yesterday. Would have pursued if I didn't have 3 other toys, no space or money! :D

Still have to get my 62 Lark on the road (215 automatic)

Erik
Howdy from Hotlanta
73 Kammback "Little Buddy"
62 Skylark 215 CI Aluminum V8
71 Dodge D-100 Sweptline
HotfootGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Postby bugdewde » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:19 am

80 MONZTA wrote:
bugdewde wrote:I don't even have it home yet and thinking of mods. I really want to leave this one alone.... but I hate autos.

You know what it really needs, is a Buick 215 and a 5 speed :devil:

Pretty nice looking car!

Yes.... yes.... the thought HAS gone around in my mind. :D
Quite oddly, though.... I want to get the 140 running and try it for a while. I'll definitely swap in a manual trans at some point.

I've been wanting a driver again..... eventhough this one is non-operational.... I think it will fire to life with some tinkering. Seller seemed to be a very trust worthy person and I have no doubt to doubt him.
Dwight

bugdewde

Next

Return to General Discussion