vega tote trailer

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Nice Idea

Postby HotfootGT » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:23 am

vega_man_larry wrote:My problem with it would be my memory. I'd have a senior moment and foget I had a trailer and start freaking out over the jerk who is tailgating me so closely! :lol:

Larry

At least it would be another H-body!
Howdy from Hotlanta
73 Kammback "Little Buddy"
62 Skylark 215 CI Aluminum V8
71 Dodge D-100 Sweptline
HotfootGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Re: Nice Idea

Postby starfire383 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:00 pm

vega_man_larry wrote:My problem with it would be my memory. I'd have a senior moment and foget I had a trailer and start freaking out over the jerk who is tailgating me so closely! :lol:

Larry

I have those all the time when pulling with an open trailer. Little bit of road fatigue sets in and all of a sudden out of the corner of your eye you catch grillework & headlights in the windshield mirror....only takes a half second to make ya feel stupid for 5 minutes :lol:
starfire383

Re: vega tote trailer

Postby bugdewde » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:38 am

Hate to revive an old thread...... Naw, I don't mind a bit. :lol:

While I was under the Kammback cleaning out the quarter drains, I was messing around with the idea of putting the trailer hitch on it.
As my utility trailer (5x8) is pretty worn out and haggard looking, I was thinking about one of the those cheap Harbor Freight fold up trailers and this old thread popped into my head. Hey... I have a rusty/damaged Wagon shell sitting in the yard!

So..... last night, I decided to play with some pictures. Sorry, I don't have photoshop and I just used "Paint" .... my skills suck.

This "short" version would require a lot of cutting/patching to close up the front.
Trailer Short.jpg

However, this "long" version wouldn't need nearly as much patching. Underhood cowl vents, column/master cylinder/clutch/HVAC holes. Thought about simply removing the fenders, but the underlying cowl area doesn't look all that good with the fenders off. That area would need work to smooth over.
Trailer Long.jpg

Home Rich Exhaust.jpeg

Cheap/Easy: Keep original floor and seat back to lay flat for storage and camping shelter.
Full blown project: Or cut floor out and use a trailer axle to have deep storage.

Then I started adding up the weight for the long version.
2500lb car
-300 engine
-100 trans
-100 fenders/hood/header/valance
-300 inner fenders/suspension/brakes/steering/front tires
_______
1700 lb trailer. Not to mention what you're hauling.

Probably not a good idea to tow with a Vega!
Isn't someone play around with some fiberglass molds? LOL........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:58 pm

Dwight I like the long version, ALOT! With the seats removed create a few "panel" type compartment[s] (remember the panel had no rear seats and some "Cubbies" where the seats used to belong in the wagon) all the way to the front, maybe two or three compartments on each side, cut out the tunnel and there should be quite a bit of storage under there. Remove the Quarter windows and fill, remove other glass and replace with "Plexi" and now you have a neat little hard shell tent that you can sleep in at the Autocross events. Painted to match your car with matching wheels, and some "DARK TINT" you should be able to insure with your "Classic car insurance" (they will only insure "Novelty Trailers" and I think this should qualify). If tongue weight becomes the problem there is a front dolly wheel that uses small utility trailer wheels on a caster to unload some of the weight. Maybe not a very useful trailer, but one cool camper! Harry P.S. I'll try and find a pic' of that caster.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby lleelduo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:18 am

I have seen this before
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Larry Leitz

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari sport wagon
1969 Chevrolet Impala SS 427 convertiable
2016 Chevrolet Volt
2016 Chevrolet City Express
lleelduo

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby dindin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:25 am

Please step away from the torch!! :lol: :lol: Too funny

Al
dindin

Postby spencerforhire » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:57 pm

As Harry mentioned, tongue weight would be an issue with any more than about the back third of the car as a trailer.
Funny this should show up today on another forum; same thing but with a Civic-
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=57C00DEE
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Sunula66 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:56 am

Guys, we have a member here with the Blown Sunbird in Michigan that pulls a Sunbird hatch trailer, Justa 6....wish I could post his pics..they're on the Garage I'm sure... :th:
Marc...see, I wasn't out of line suggesting this for your Aveo....would look pretty kool... 8)
"remember... not everything is good on TOAST!"
3 Birds of a Feather...
#1 the Silver '80 W-66 code Formula purchased 9 years ago
#2 red "80 W-66 code Formula purchased Mar./16
#3 black '78-9 coupe with spoiler kit and 4spd 305...parted out to a Terrific H-Buddy
2015 Cruze Turbo Diesel/ Just replaced by the 2016 Sonic
'98 GMC 1/2 ton with corporate 3/4 ton driveline still makin' it all possible
Sunula66

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby waybad » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:07 pm

anybody even have a trailer hitch on their Vega/Monza??
if so lets see it!! :dance:
Tinker
waybad

Postby spencerforhire » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:14 pm

Please excuse the the 15 years of genuine "bard find" dirt & patina.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:39 pm

waybad wrote:anybody even have a trailer hitch on their Vega/Monza??
if so lets see it!! :dance:

Tinker I have not had one but IF I get to do PowerTour I will build one, and some interesting trailer to lower the cost of Motels. We (the unfortunate Missus & I) will sleep in some sort of trailer for a few of the many nights on the road, truck stop showers and a few motels so she doesn't divorce me [from my stuff :lol: ] I have been playing with the same idea [and others] for the Monza for some time now. They all just take too much time & money from the car and the other things I need to do first at least for now. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby waybad » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:31 pm

Good deal Harry,, I hope to be able to do some of the PT myself.. I'm trying to figure out a trailer hitch for my 72,, if everything goes well I will need it for drag week..

notice I said if everything goes well :bang: :bang: :bang: it's fighting me the whole way right now,, I will hopefully have some updates this week :oops:
Tink
Tinker
waybad

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Monza Harry wrote:Dwight I like the long version, ALOT! With the seats removed create a few "panel" type compartment[s] (remember the panel had no rear seats and some "Cubbies" where the seats used to belong in the wagon) all the way to the front, maybe two or three compartments on each side, cut out the tunnel and there should be quite a bit of storage under there. Remove the Quarter windows and fill, remove other glass and replace with "Plexi" and now you have a neat little hard shell tent that you can sleep in at the Autocross events. Painted to match your car with matching wheels, and some "DARK TINT" you should be able to insure with your "Classic car insurance" (they will only insure "Novelty Trailers" and I think this should qualify). If tongue weight becomes the problem there is a front dolly wheel that uses small utility trailer wheels on a caster to unload some of the weight. Maybe not a very useful trailer, but one cool camper! Harry P.S. I'll try and find a pic' of that caster.
Well Dwight I will resurrect this long dormant thread because as I said it is an idea I have been fighting with [in my own head] for quite some time now! So to address the tongue weight issue the idea that comes to mind for me, will to build the tongue and front of the body work such that the trailer will be a "Full Trailer" not a "Semi Trailer" the difference is that I will [hopefully in the next X? years]build a caster for the front and then the tongue will be a "Drawbar" in stead of an actual load bearing Tongue. This will eliminate the tongue weight issue as there won't be any, or with a little engineering very little, as I will determine by the most advanced engineering techniques [Trial and Failure...I mean error]! The caster will be built with a real trailer wheel, tire and bearings of appropriate capacity all mounted so that it can have an "air shock" for suspension. Think of this like flat towing a car with a tow bar, only an easier arrangement for backing up. Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Previous

Return to General Discussion