Spyder Emblems ???????????

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Spyder Emblems ???????????

Postby AusRs » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:10 am

Update from Dave ,copied from a message
please note he has tried 2 sources so far that have simply priced the emblem way to high (amazing actually GM made a supposedly throw away car with expensive emblems (go figure)
anyway BACK to the message

Good News.... today for your Monza cousins...coming thru now is the approval for the production of the Monza Spyder emblem... "NOW".. and a bonus is access for tooling again or tracking original suppliers for original tooling access if its still around etc.......
The trip Thursday week is still a go-ahead but its the best news we could have hoped for PERIOD for H body guys.. so if there is more that they need and if viable we may help further.......
If your around tomorrow . .come in and I'll show you details ... which you can convey to your H body mates... for the Spyder emblem production methods etc...the Legal hurdle moving on.. just gotta get the production quality etc.. Subject to emblem insert quality.. we can go ahead and get the housings remade maybe to...
Last edited by AusRs on Tue May 26, 2009 5:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby res0o7eb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:14 am

OK. Glad he's still pursuing this.
Hopefully he'll be able to find the original tooling!
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby stage169 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:48 am

A few years ago I bought a Skyhawk emblem insert off ebay. The owners brother worked at the plant that made the H emblems. Kuttawa Plastics in Kentucky is the place. Looks like the Monza insert on this page. http://www.kuttawaplastics.com/after.html They had the Spyder emblem on their web site awhile back but I think everyone kept calling to see if they could buy the last examples they had ( they keep several of everything they made) they took it off. The women I was talking to said they used to have a few Spyder emblems but they were popular among the workers :D Also that just 5-7 years ago GM picked up the tooling for the Spyder emblem. I emailed GM and got no response. Brian
stage169

Postby ozpont » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:57 am

Hi guys.. we are aware of Kuttawa Plastics.. and trying to track down what happened to the tooling.. which is sometimes a huge job.. I know the fender tooling for 67-68 Firebirds that Classic Industries uncovered took a reported two years to unearth and bring to service etc.
We will keep trying and will pretty much have a deffinate answer on or around 16 march.
ozpont

Postby AusRs » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:28 am

HEY Dave
uncover the tooling to make front fenders :) ...OR at least a decent rust repair section for the bottom 12 inches !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AusRs

Postby acstestinc » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:43 pm

Here's an update from GTA Emblems:

"Paul.. looks like we have a solution to the cost and the design of these now
we have exhausted every viable avenue including original tooling is
destroyed by GM.
The emblems are likely to go into production over the next 4-8 weeks and
be made of a correct curved outer shell with an intense 3 d image adhered to
the underside of the clear shell to effect the closest possible image result
akind to an original part.
GM final approval and Licensing is process now.
Dave"

So it appears that the emblem won't be an "exact" duplicate but I have faith that they will look 1000% better then 99.9% of the existing emblems out there.
acstestinc

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby AusRs » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:56 am

yep i have been in contact with Dave also ,it appears that GM made a cheap car with a bloody hard to duplicate emblem :(
so the image from Carl (i think) got cleaned of all imperfections and is being made ,what i understand is they will look correct BUT not actually be made the same as GM did
AusRs

moving along

Postby ozpont » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:26 am

.. guys.. this is a early testbed model of the reproduction Spyder emblem.. we still have a ways to go with it but I'm quietly showing it to you .. and now quietly confident that within a couple of months.. we'll have a excellent Spyder emblem out there for you at a cost we can all afford.. both to produce in such minimal numbers .. keep it legal, keep it affordable and that owners will be happy to get hold of.

Next we're to perfect the actual backing so reflective casting shadows that you can see as the mottely effect in the red... do not come thru as you can see a bit here on this the first test bed sample, we are also bringing the red to a more medalic red now.., highlight the spyders silver legs a shade more... and then tool up and mold the arched lens correctly.. with that being done.. correctly.... we'll proceed with a casting of a new chrome housing but only for the front....

It all depends now over the next weeks developments and improvements we can make way over what I'm showing you here, which probably looks better then some of you may already have.

Q: Is the rear emblem insert exactly the same size as the front one... Can somebody please measure it....???

Q: Is this Spyder emblem INSERT only on 1979 models or where does it start and stop.. ?
ALSO.. what other H bodies used the same housing for holding different types of the same round lens insert.. Hopefully. .if viable.. this will give you the cost spread needed to viably manufacture the housing properly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ozpont

Postby steelhead » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:49 am

although I am now in line with a SPYDER needing new emblems, the red,white and blue bowtie for the regular Monza's would be sweet and uses the same housing.
And are we going to get just the insert for the back?
Lanse
75 2+2
76 2+2
77 Astre Formula
78 Monza Wagon
steelhead

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby mahoy78spyder » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:32 pm

Hey there - looks GREAT!

To answer your questions, yes, the front is the same size as the back. And the years of production are '76-80 - all the same each year. So, if you make this insert, you've got lots of Spyders out there from multiple production years that could potentially benefit from all your hard work! Thanks for doing this!
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby CDA » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:44 pm

That emblem looks great!! I'm sure you're going to make a lot of Monza Spyders very happy vehicles. :D
CDA

Postby res0o7eb » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:42 pm

Yeah, what Lanse said.
And with this new method, it seems that a Buick Skyhawk emblem could easily be created as well.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Postby AusRs » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:24 pm

well Dave does have a skyhawke emblem taped to his bench (came from a rear housing i got off of ebay )
looks good for a first attempt :)
Last edited by AusRs on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AusRs

Postby ozpont » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:44 pm

OK.. things look better all the time.. I'll push on with the housing development now and look to perfect it.
Seems we might have a win/win for quite a number of H body restorer / owners...

Steelhead...I have a clear Chevy insert picture at this stage only.. & now have a used insert on the way over the coming 3-4 weeks..... with a housing so YES.. lets this off while we are at it.... its MUCH easier then the very complicated Spyder by the looks of it. Keep in mind now.. starting from scratch.... it will take around 6 months for product development, although advanced now for this primary model, thru to GM approval & legals to go thru. Same with any other's.. but lets get it off the ground.. I have the GM #'s for it.
Q: Which emblem does the monza 2+2 use...??

mahoy78spyder.. thanks for that year coverage.. it's becoming obvious here we can help other H body restorers beyond what we were originally trying to do.. so thats a good thing.

res0o7eb is the Buick Skyhawk emblem medium light blue with a siliver shadowed eagle as the feature..??... if so I believe we one as a sample here now thanks to your member AUSMONZA that started all this.... Please confirm..?? & we can model off it.. Do you have the original GM part # for that emblem (anybody)

mahoy78spyder... Are you actually in Kabul.. . if so take care over there.. Soldier as a Man... ... your doing your country proud.
ozpont

Postby steelhead » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:11 pm

The 2+2 uses the bowtie. and
I'd want 2sets of those and 1 spyder set
75 2+2
76 2+2
77 Astre Formula
78 Monza Wagon
steelhead

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Next

Return to General Discussion