I've decided to leave V8monza.

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

I've decided to leave V8monza.

Postby DjTy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:10 am

This has all been way too frustrating.

I've been crazy on Bob's mounts since last year, and the regulars should have seen me around a lot whining about mounts, starting threads all the time and everything but as of today's incident I'm putting this all behind me.

I've been constantly emailing Bob and relaying messages between him and my buddy (who is one of the elite 5% ppl here on the island with a credit card) ... this has gone on for 2 weeks and apparently Bob is off again the last 4 days... well as you can see in my sig the engine is there and almost done,

but I'm actually pondering about just selling the car.
This is just getting nowhere on an island like this and I could barely drive it in the past 5months.. (some ppl should remember my TQ converter rumbles thread - engine swap - and the multitude of monza mounts threads...)

anyway flame away about how I should do it myself.................
-Chevy Monza '76 2+2 V8 262ci (old) -> 355ci (oil problem) -> 355ci (piston broke) -> 350ci (current) ... LOL
-Opel Kadett E 1985 1.2Litre (Back up, had a broken condensor :P still need to find replacement accelerator pump membrane...)

My Monza in Cardomain!
DjTy

1976 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby ColinOpseth » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:51 am

Dude,
Don't give up. Us guys are trying to find a solution for you. We dont' drive H-Bodies because they are easy to find parts for; we drive them because H-Bodies are unique and something most people just can't fix up themselves.

That schematic posted seemed to lay out the design fairly well. You shouldn't have too much trouble modifying your existing mounts. If I can get my hands on a set of mounts I will see what I can do to make them cheaper/faster.

I believe Bacchus is going to try to find a solution?
Don't give up, bro..
Colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby AusRs » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:38 am

anyone can do a resto or mod a camaro or firebird .......all the aftermarket floor pans etc excist
H body dont think anything will be easy with them as there is NO aftermarket support .......thats 1/2 the fun
dont give up embrace the challenge :)
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby fyrftr50 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:37 am

Yup ... what they said ... exactly.

Anyone can walk into any auto parts store and build a Mustang, Camaro, etc from the ground up using almost nothing original to start with ... to me, what's the point. The hunt for and the finding of that part that takes months to uncover is all part of the reward in my opinion, of owning a Monza or any other H-Body for that matter. Stick with it, you'll regret it in the end, guaranteed!!!
Bryan
Bryan
fyrftr422@hotmail.com

22 Mazda3 GS
20 Kioti CK2610HST
12 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
80 Chevy Monza Spyder

MONZA, SKYHAWK, STARFIRE & SUNBIRD ... http://monza.homestead.com/monza.html
fyrftr50

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby 79monztah » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:25 am

I've owned my spyder for 17 years . when I got it, I drove it for 6 years or so '' and drove it hard " then it sat. I knew that when I would get back to it that the head liner would be somewhere located near the floor pan !!! I've been looking and found an almost replacment monza. Monzas are rare cars and very fun to drive with v-8s. Finding parts are hard ,but with the people in this forum makes getting parts a little easier. Andy
79 monza spyder
79monztah

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby monzapla » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:45 am

I was watching a show on cable last weekend called Muscle Cars. They were doing a project called "Crate Camaro". It had a crate engine and even the complete body was brand new "delivered in a crate" from Year one I believe. Nothing on the car was authentic camero. It was almost sickening.
monzapla

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

10 years

Postby Monza Madness » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:53 pm

Well.... if it makes you feel any better its been ten years since my IMSA ran, it's all about time, money, parts availabilty, priorities no one just slaps these things together. These cars require lots of patience and lots of love, its a passion not instant gratification. If you get involved in these cars its a long haul and you are not alone. At car shows I talk to venders all the time and there all like the life cereal commercial...........I'm not gonna try it, you try it!! They don't want to make parts cause theres a limited interest in the cars because you can't get parts......a catch22. But as soon as one major jumps on the band wagon the rest will all be there. And as for western union can't you do a person to person money transfer dirrect to Bob Gumm? Yes he'd have to got to a Western Union office and pick it up but it should be a dirrect transfer.
Roger
79 IMSA TPI 350 A/C 700R4
79 Spyder 305 A/C 200r4
Monza Madness

1979 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Postby starfire383 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:15 pm

Some of you guys are missing one really important point. Even a camaro is exotic where he lives, doesn't sound like there's much walking into a parts store and building a mustang either.

Stick with it if you really want the car. If not, you would not be the first to abandon a project, but most people later regret it. You've come this far, why not see it through. The car will be far more valuable as a running vehicle anyway.

Another thought- you do have the original V8 mounts, right? Surely there's a welder on the island that can connect the 2 pieces and make them solid mounts. Suddenly you're on the road.
starfire383

Postby DjTy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:48 pm

Starfire.. I wouldn't say a camaro being exotichere... this is a car oriented place, and We have lots of stuff, from the old e-bodies to the new mustang 2005 and loads of other domestic rides (you could say a couple of 1000 fbodies, even 1st and 2nd gens)

I placed a local internet ad for C10 V8mounts... let's hope somebody will reply so I can get it welded...
'If not me and Dad will have to lap up the mounts ghetto style :s

anyway, I've been a bit depressed with all this and marco's comment on top of it yesterday night, but still the monza is my rare pride on the island, and even if I can't get the mounts online I'll weld them or use spacers and will see how it goes.

tnx.
Ty
-Chevy Monza '76 2+2 V8 262ci (old) -> 355ci (oil problem) -> 355ci (piston broke) -> 350ci (current) ... LOL
-Opel Kadett E 1985 1.2Litre (Back up, had a broken condensor :P still need to find replacement accelerator pump membrane...)

My Monza in Cardomain!
DjTy

1976 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:18 pm

Come on I'm not so bad...

Who wants to open the first advance auto parts franchise on the island!!!!!!

come on! we'll be rich, and get see big boobs on the beach everyday.

who's in?
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby DjTy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:50 pm

lol... no ur not so bad, but please know, it isn't really u, but all the rest about it trying to get them...

Anyway, I'll be checking how me and my dad can weld something together along the likes of Bob's mounts... I'll probably post some pictures of the result...

anyone with an Idea about other mounts that are similar to the '66 Chevy C10's?

it will help me out greatly getting some locally to modify for the monza...

My Monza in Cardomain!
DjTy

1976 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby starfire383 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:30 pm

Wow, DjTy, I just saw the thread on the other board and I've been there too. Not with V8 mounts, but with plenty of other various vehicles and projects.

One of the primary things that seperates an experienced hot rodder from a starting hot rodder is knowing when to walk away from "traditional methods" and go your own way. It's the way hot rodders did it originally before commercial hot rod parts were available. They built what they wanted with what was available.

It seems you are at that point now for a variety of reasons. You've got the know-how to come this far, so rely on old fashioned hot rodders ingenuity and make some mounts of your own design. Modify what you have, start from scratch, use the chevy truck mount design, modify something you can get locally, whatever. As we say in the states, it's not rocket science. Have faith in yourself, and you'll be suprised at what you can come up with.

Good Luck!
starfire383

Postby ivend » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm

can start with this

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... ryId=12989

need too make a brace for
ivend

Postby ivend » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:41 pm

can start with this

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... ryId=12989

need too make a brace for
ivend

Postby AusRs » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:41 am

weird thing is
i can get stuff sent in to aus to get sent to you
usgmserviceparts.com
located in wollongong NSW Australia...ships all over the world
i judt ordered my parts to make the engine mounts
will cost me $26 each (aussie dollars )
i also ordered my energy suspension rear trailing arm bushes
i am also told that shocks ARE available ...if i want them it will take 3 weeks to get ...landed in Aus
i cannot so far see a problem with getting running parts for the car ...its the panels that are going to be hard for me to get !!!
edit
all you need is a credtit card to pay !.....simple
note he does not stock monza parts (would you with maybe 20 in the country )
BUT he has looked into a few things for me and the answer so far has been "no problems"
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Next

Return to General Discussion