updated fuel pump???

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: updated fuel pump???

Postby 80 MONZTA » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:15 pm

Wider pic of tank. Dome measures 7 5/8" where it blends into top of tank.
Fuelpump and Tank E.jpg
Here is a new gasket for the pump, it measures 4 1/2" O.D.
Fuelpump and Tank F.jpg
And a pic of gasket in place. I had my anti-gravity machine on to hold it in place for this pic. :lol:
Fuelpump and Tank G.jpg
Yes, if the float was twisted 180 degrees it will hit the original style fuel sock.
Fuelpump and Tank H.jpg
Fuelpump and Tank I.jpg
That is a pretty good site to check out other fuel tanks, and will help a lot. Looks like tanks out of trucks do not have much flat area around the locking ring to be usefull. One local yard has a large pile-o-tanks, maybe I will see something there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeRoy
1980 Monza, 305/Th350 removed for LS1/T-56 swap, can't wait to :burn: My Project
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks!

-Could you post a picture of the ls1 o-ring laying on top of the original opening so I can get an idea of how much it will need to be enlarged?

-Can the upper portion of the pump be removed and reinstalled in a different position within the canister?

-Looks like pump could be mounted with the fittings facing rear and hoses looped to front.

or

-I think the 180 degree twist would work with the flatter stlye filter sock that is in the picture of the racetronix filter - that filter is probably sourced from another oem application and available separately.

-Another solution might be: (I think I like this idea best as the fittings can face forward and there is no interference with the filter sock) see picture below.
A longer piece of wire could be sourced to build a custom sender arm. The arm could start out the same as it is on the back of the canister but when it get toward the side of the canister where the filter sock is, the wire would travel around the canister with an arch in the wire clearing the filter sock then continuing in the same direction as the original float but now in the front of the canister -ending oriented exactly as it is now but toward the front ot he canister- Don't know if that makes any sense but I can picture it in my head.
I included a picture of a 2004-2007 sierra/silverado fuel sender arm which looks like it has plenty of extra material to bend around the canister.

To eliminate the rib in the bottom of the tank I think a slice would have to be made along the length of the rib where it interferes . Then the metal pieces would be flattened with a hammer and dolly and welded back topgether along the slice

I think if the slice weren't made the tank floor would buckle and look half ass when the rib were flattened
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzaaddict

Postby 80 MONZTA » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Here are pic's with LS1 o-ring on Monza tank. The raised portion of the tank will need to be cut out, otherwise the LS1 pump will be too short.
Fuelpump and Tank J.jpg
Fuelpump and Tank K.jpg
I don't know if the upper portion of pump can be twised in relation to lower. There are three legs, two have springs, the other appears to be a return line. They seem to be equal distance appart, so it may be possible.
I understand your idea of extending the sender arm up and around the sock. I had thought of several ways to re-locate that float, but all my ideas had drawbacks - or just plain would not work. Good thinking. Dia. of that wire is .094, should be able to find some music wire at a hobby shop that size. That wire snaps out easily.
LeRoy
1980 Monza, 305/Th350 removed for LS1/T-56 swap, can't wait to :burn: My Project
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzaaddict » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:17 pm

I edited the 3rd post on this thread to show a possible additional source for the 0-90 ohm fuel level sensor.
monzaaddict

Postby waybad » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:53 pm

could the pump screen just be turned around to the other side? or just turned a little?
I think it is pressed on? have you by chance located any other tanks that have
the same rings that mount the pump?
I took out a 98 firebird tank at our salvage yard and it was different? :bang:
Tinker
waybad

Postby cacmanjr » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:08 pm

Take a look at this web site.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ ... /cat61.htm

I think I will use this set up with my GN engine/trans conversion.
Carl Creque
cacmanjr

1977 Buick Skyhawk

Postby 80 MONZTA » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:00 am

I looked at the yard with a lot of tanks laying in a pile, didn't find any that had the same type of locking ring as my 2000 F-body pump. So I had them drop a tank out of a 97 Grand Prix, guess what, it is smaller. The oppening is only 4 1/8" in diameter and has a snap-ring type locking ring on it. Since I had them drop it out of a car, I had to buy it. I had seen the same type tank laying in the pile that they would have given to me for free, but I didn't know the Grand Prix had a smaller pump on it. Oh well, I think I may be able to use it anyway. I will know for sure tomorrow if it will work or not.
LeRoy
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzaaddict » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:49 pm

Well that sucks, I really thought they were the same. How much did it cost? Can the hole be enlarged, the lock ring bracket removed and the vetteworks mount used. Any of the free tanks have a flat area that could be cut and transferred to the Monza tank. This tank looks like it has 2 areas that could be cut out and transferred to the Monza tank. A piece of sheet steel the same thickness as the original gas tank might be the best solution with the vetteworks ring.

CHEVROLET
Year Model Sub. Eng. liter Fuel F.del Asp. Vin Dsg.

1999 LUMINA V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1999 LUMINA V6 3.8 GAS FI N K
1999 MONTE CARLO V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1999 MONTE CARLO V6 3.8 GAS FI N K
1998 LUMINA V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1998 LUMINA LTZ V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1998 LUMINA LTZ V6 3.8 GAS FI N K
1998 MONTE CARLO LS V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1998 MONTE CARLO Z34 V6 3.8 GAS FI N K
1997 LUMINA V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1997 LUMINA LS V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1997 LUMINA LTZ V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1997 LUMINA LTZ V6 3.4 GAS FI N X
1997 MONTE CARLO LS V6 3.1 GAS FI N M
1997 MONTE CARLO Z34 V6 3.4 GAS FI N X

I got the 97 grandprix sender today. There were 2 senders in the box an both are 0-90 ohm
monzaaddict

Postby waybad » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:00 pm

Do you want to sell one of those senders?
Tinker
waybad

Postby 80 MONZTA » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:25 pm

I removed those 2 little tabs with a new razor blade.
Fuelpump and Tank L.jpg
Then the Grand Prix o-ring in place. I bought a new one, but it is a little thicker, maybe with some kind of lube on it the new one would work.
Fuelpump and Tank M.jpg
Used a new locking ring, it is thicker then the junk yard one.
Fuelpump and Tank N.jpg
So it looks like the Grand Prix ring will work after all. The yard I got it from charges minnimum of $35.00 for any tank they pull, so that is what I payed. It also came with a little over 2 gallons of fuel, so that will be used in my mower. :lol:
I cut the Monza tank, but left a little sticking up still.
Fuelpump and Tank O.jpg
Fuelpump and Tank P.jpg
With it like that, and the pump sitting on that rib in the middle, it only compresses the pump a 1/4". I don't know if the pump needs to be compressed more or not.
The Vetteworks ring isn't too bad of a way to go pricewise ($52.00 plus shipping with seal), but I am not liking the way the seal is pressing down on unsupported section of the tank. For info, my Monza tank metal is .025" thick, and the Grand Prix is .035"
I am planning on using an AutoMeter fuel gauge, I don't even know if they make one that will use the F-body sender. That is on my list of stuff to check on soon.
LeRoy
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:20 am

I just swapped the 40-240 ohm sender for the 0-90 ohm sender needed for stock guages. The original black plastic holder is different than the white one that comes with the 0-90 ohm sender so they have to be disassembled ( each has a plastic retainer clip that has to be carefully removed) and the ceramic resistor boards swapped.

The Grand Prix 0-90 ohm sender kit comes with two senders the difference being the connector for the fuel pump. One sender is a direct replacement for the LS1 sender (except for retainer swap) and the other has smaller terminals at the pump connection but could be used if the wires are swapped with the ones on the Ls1 sender.
IMG_0333.JPG

At this time I am not interested in selling the extra sender. There is an EBAY seller (champagnechevytoystore) that can get them for $107.64 + shipping. Also, fuelsender.com says they are 95% sure they have a 0-90 ohm board that fits the sender for $95 plus shipping.

I am really glad that the Grand Prix tank is going to work.

What is the diameter of the area you were able to cut from the top of the Grand Prix tank.

Why did you leave part of the dome on the Monza tank.

The remaining dome could most likely be flattened with a hammer and dolly in needed.

Do you think you could get that other tank that was in the junk yard pile for free. If so and you are willing to cut the top off I am willing to match the price of the vetteworks part plus shipping.

I like your idea of using music wire for the sender arm. If the original arm is .092 (which is a little loose in the retainer hole) then 3/32 =.09375 music wire should work. I am going to go to the hobby store tomorrow if I have time.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
monzaaddict

Postby 80 MONZTA » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:15 pm

monzaaddict wrote:
What is the diameter of the area you were able to cut from the top of the Grand Prix tank.

Why did you leave part of the dome on the Monza tank.

I ended up with a diameter of 7 1/8". Because I cut a little too much from around the ring on the Grand Prix tank (only 1/2" on one side), that is why I left part of the dome on the Monza tank. Lesson learned: leave some of the rounded part from the Grand Prix tank, and straighten it out after cutting.

monzaaddict wrote:Do you think you could get that other tank that was in the junk yard pile for free. If so and you are willing to cut the top off I am willing to match the price of the vetteworks part plus shipping.
It will be at least a week before I can get there, and I will see if I can find it again. If you are not in too much of a hurry, I could do that.

My local hobby shop didn't have any 3/32" music wire, so I had them order some. I hope it is not like some other stuff that I have ordered and wait 6 months for it to show up.
LeRoy
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:33 pm

I got the 3/32 music wire today (2 pack each 36" long - enough for four sender arms) and it will work perfect. If you can't get it pm me your address and I will send it to you free.

I am in no rush so if you can get the tank let me know.
Last edited by monzaaddict on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
monzaaddict

Postby waybad » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:44 pm

Will this have to be a vented tank or a pressurised tank? TC
Tinker
waybad

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:29 pm

waybad wrote:Will this have to be a vented tank or a pressurised tank? TC

`The monza tank has the gas cap with the check valve and a charcoal canister. My charcoal canister will get hooked to an LS1 purge valve ( same valve is used on other engines) purge function will be controlled be Ls1 PCM. Factory 70's technology used a ported vacuum source to prevent purge affecting idle and a temp controlled vacuum switch in the waterneck to prevent purging when engine is cold. The LS1 electronics uses info from the temp sender and throttle position sender to control the purge function.
I don't want a vented system stinking up my garage (when I get one).

Your vega most likely is a vented through the cap. I would think you could ad a gas cap with the check valve and a charcoal canister if you wanted without too much trouble.
monzaaddict

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion