Custom spindles

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Custom spindles

Postby SunbirdMan » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:26 pm

I was nosing around the net looking for information on spindles and I've seen where you can buy a pair of drop spindles for a Mustang II for $150 bucks. if these guys can have custom spindles that cheap why can't we? I want a new spindle that retains the Hbody steering geometry and camber. Uses off the shelf s10 rotors and calipers and dust shields. puts the wheel mounting face of the rotor at the stock track width. And i don't want to pay more than $200. I want I want i want. What would it take to pull this off?How about machine it out of aluminum similar to this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aluminum ... enameZWD1V

I can 3d model the spindle if anyone has input into what it would take to manufacture.
We're already paying for junkyard spindles and ball joint adapters. This wouldn't be too bad if we could get the price down to $150 a pair. Is anyone here setup to do something like this?
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby monzamess » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:58 pm

The reason the Mustang II/Pinto has a lot of parts is that it is a popular suspension for hot rodders to put in other projects, not necessarily because anyone cares about the Mustang II/Pinto. It is independent, has a narrow track, disc brakes, r&p steering, and was very common and cheap.

Here's some background info:

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/54298/

Unfortunately I don't see that kind of hot rodder support for the h-bodies even though (especially for its time) it's a decent suspension setup.
Dennis
1980 Monza Coupe--collector of cob webs and kids' toys
2006 Honda Odyssey--daily driver
2011 Toyota Sienna--wife's
1995 Dodge Ram--for creating oil spots on the street
monzamess

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby starfire383 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:42 pm

The aluminum spindle is for sprint cars, and it's the last thing you'd want on the street since there's zero chance of it being forged. On a sprinter it isn't going to live long enough to cause work hardened crack problems, and it's on a super lightweight car

You can thank the street rodders for steering boxes though.
starfire383

Postby SunbirdMan » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:19 pm

I mentioned the aluminum as an example because it seemed easier to machine. The stock spindles are cast iron right? I could live with that.
Would anyone consider paying $200 for a pair of aftermarket spindles as I've described. I could draw up a 3d model, have a two piece mold made from that. make some wax castings and take them to a foundry and have some cast.
Just an idea at this point but if there was some interest maybe I'd follow through.Other than the initial cost, the hardest thing for me would be measuring the stock spindle. I don't have much manufacturing experience so if anyone has some input it would be great. It looks like a two piece assembly. The steering knuckle and the spindle itself which looks as if its a pressed in machined part.
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

Postby starfire383 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:15 pm

Lost wax is my living, and I think you are badly underestimating the tooling and casting costs. Plus you'll have to machine the spindle and ball joint holes afterward. IMO, the only way to get anywhere near your price point is to order them by the container load from China. But don't let me stop you from exploring the options.

Good Luck!
starfire383

Postby DEMON Precision » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:14 pm

SunbirdMan wrote:I mentioned the aluminum as an example because it seemed easier to machine. The stock spindles are cast iron right? I could live with that.
Would anyone consider paying $200 for a pair of aftermarket spindles as I've described. I could draw up a 3d model, have a two piece mold made from that. make some wax castings and take them to a foundry and have some cast.
Just an idea at this point but if there was some interest maybe I'd follow through.Other than the initial cost, the hardest thing for me would be measuring the stock spindle. I don't have much manufacturing experience so if anyone has some input it would be great. It looks like a two piece assembly. The steering knuckle and the spindle itself which looks as if its a pressed in machined part.

vega spindels are two piece so are s10 , the actual spindle part is a steel spindle that is installed in to a nodular piece .

i,m sure you could make spindles for a resonable price but i don,t think the market would be supportive enough , hell AJE went thru the time and effort to build a sweet tubular upper A arm for h-bodies , and from what i,ve heard they have only sold the one set to the fella who worked with them on the project , at $399 a pair it,s not alot of money when you compare it to the time and effort put into them . the shop i work at has built A-arms in the past and the last one -off set we made had 14+plus hrs in them at $65 and hr $399 is a sweet deal IMO .
DEMON Precision

Postby SunbirdMan » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:26 pm

I realize the market would be small and I'm not looking at this as a money making enterprise. It's something I'd like to have and if enough others were interested I'm sure we could figure out how to pull it off. If I'm only making one set for myself it will be costly.
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

Postby DEMON Precision » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:57 am

SunbirdMan wrote:I realize the market would be small and I'm not looking at this as a money making enterprise. It's something I'd like to have and if enough others were interested I'm sure we could figure out how to pull it off. If I'm only making one set for myself it will be costly.

goodluck there,s always interest but little who are serious i,ve looked into h-body products and get interest but when a projected realworld cost is quoted the interest is lost .
DEMON Precision

Postby 92turbogtz » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:09 am

you can get custom dropped spindles for the S10. Wouldn't that work if you did the S10 conversion?

http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/spindles.html
Alex
1998 BMW 328is - Current
78 Formula Sunbird - Sold :(
92turbogtz

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby SunbirdMan » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:32 am

I'm not looking for drop spindles. I'm trying to get five lug rotors and better brakes. The s10 spindle solves that problem but it adds negative camber and it changes the steering geometry. And I'm not sure but may change the wheel track distance slightly. Another solution is the expensive aftermarket drag brakes that bolt to the spindle. Maybe that's the way to go but I don't know if those are made to take everyday driving. The rotors look like they'd warp easily if over heated. I'm also concerned about the wheel track width. the aftrmarket brakes are probably made with narrow tires in mind and may not work right with wheels and tires that match the rear.
Before I can get any quotes I need to have the design to submit. That may take some time. It might be best to see if Western Chassis or some other spindle company would try to produce them. If enough people were interested.
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

Return to General Discussion