power rack and pinion?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Postby ColinOpseth » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:54 pm

I don't think you can use a FWD rack in a RWD car.. I may be mistaken, though..

I'll look at the two racks mentioned here and see how comparable they are in specs..
later,
colin
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby spencerforhire » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:04 am

The problem is more of a rear-steer vs. front-steer than FWD vs. RWD issue. Most FWD vehicles have a rear-steer rack mounted to the firewall(behind the spindles) so if you tried to use one in a front-steer H-body, we all know it would be a bit confusing turning the wheel clockwise to turn left! Hey, maybe if you were dyslexic....
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby AusRs » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:46 am

my opinion is to use the shortest rack with the longest steering arms possible to minimise any bump steer
have to remember its not just bolting things into place !
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Rack

Postby Monza Madness » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:44 am

I'm not sure the shortest rack longest arms is exactly right either, it all has to do with the dimensions of the upper and lower control arms and the arc that the spindel follows as it travels up and down,and the relationship of the steering arm on the spindle and the location of the pivot points on the center link or rack. As for shortest rack, outlaw sprintcars have the shortest rack, street legal probably not, they only see clay tracks, and bumpsteer most likely not as sensitive.
On another note would an Astro van steering shaft work on a rack?(lots of universals)
Roger
79 IMSA TPI 350 A/C 700R4
79 Spyder 305 A/C 200r4
Monza Madness

1979 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Re: Rack

Postby AusRs » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:29 am

Monza Madness wrote:I'm not sure the shortest rack longest arms is exactly right either, it all has to do with the dimensions of the upper and lower control arms and the arc that the spindel follows as it travels up and down,and the relationship of the steering arm on the spindle and the location of the pivot points on the center link or rack. As for shortest rack, outlaw sprintcars have the shortest rack, street legal probably not, they only see clay tracks, and bumpsteer most likely not as sensitive.
On another note would an Astro van steering shaft work on a rack?(lots of universals)

played with suspension for a long time
its all about circles ...if the circles(arcs) dont match up you have bump steer the longer the steering arms(from the rack ) are ...the more forgiving they are for bump steer ......the shorter the steering arms are the more likely you are to get bump steer .....as for sprintcar racks .....we used something similar on our dirt car years ago street legal NO BUT they are super strong
cant comment on any lhd racks you could use because i have no idea what is available :(
edit
our race car was ashphalt oval track where bump steer WAS important not to have
AusRs

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Previous

Return to General Discussion