My 79 Olds Starfire V8 in Munich, Germany

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: My 79 Olds Starfire V8 in Munich, Germany

Postby marxx » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:59 am

Hi Steffen,

Deine Felgen konnte ich ja nicht haben, also musste ich nach Toronto fliegen :D

Danke für den Hinweis mit den Ravus Weißwandringen. Ich habe sie gekauft, weil der Hersteller geschrieben hatte, dass sie nicht reiben würden :( Ich werde es beobachten.

Greetinx aus München

Chris

English:

Hi Steffen,

I couldn't get your rims, so I had to fly to Toronto :D

Thanks for your tip with the Ravus white wall rings. I bought them, because the manufacturer wrote that they wouldn't move :( I will keep an eye on that.

Greetinx from Munich

Chris
1979 Oldsmobile Starfire SX
marxx

Postby marxx » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:29 am

Dear all,

today is a new chapter in the history of my book "the cars I drove" ...

My Olds had to undergo the regular technical inspection (every two years, enforced by law here in Germany). I did not pass :(

Even worst, they also disquailified the licence as a historical vehicle :( :( Therefor the car is no longer allowed to legally drive on public roads here ...

So today I unregistered the Starfire and it is going up for sale here in Germany soon.

Just in case anyone here is interested in buying the car. It is one of the seven that came to Europe 1979, it is fully driveable (not legally though) and worth to come in good hands. Recent pics here: http://www.m-scene.de/oldsmobile/sale/

So, if you are in for a little adventure ... The Munich Octoberfest starts September 17th http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/ And what would be a better souvenir to take home, than a great 79 Olds Starfire :-) Just sent me a message here.

Greetinx from Munich

marxx
marxx

Postby cammerjeff » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:43 am

Wow, sorry to hear that! What did it fail for on the chassis inspection? And was it the same issues that caused them to reject the classic car Plate?
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby OldsStarfire » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:04 am

Following you for sale link - the welder did a great job! Why did the car fail after all that welding? Looks like you went through a lot of effort and money to save this car!!!
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby H-Parts » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:49 pm

When they get that rusty the rear axle control arms soon decide to break free of the underbody. And there ain't much to weld to when that happens.

Too bad, it's a V8 car with Air. Standard F41 suspension, too.
H-Parts

Postby marxx » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:11 am

What did it fail for

The reasons it failed the inspection were mainly rust problems. All the brake lines need to be replaced, the doors and one rocker panel need to be welded, there are some "wrong" old weldings (done by a previous owner) and there are oil leakages of the engine and transmission (a never ending story).
It lost it historic licence, because the examiner did a reclassification of the car. The classification is done by German school grades. 1 equals "very good", 6 equals "very bad". Your car needs a grade 2 to be registered as a historical vehicle. The examiner gave the car a 4. More or less subjective, but I can't change it.

Looks like you went through a lot of effort and money to save this car!!!

I did. The car has always been very special to me. And as it is one of seven that came to Europe (and one of 1461 V8's build in 79), I just thought it was worth it to bring the car through time. But it has also been a struggle (well, you will know that too). Especially the unstopable leakages have been a pain ... The car needs an engine pull and again some good body work. More than I can do.

And I also had some changes in my "petrol head" being. I discovered electric cars :D Quite a change of paradigm, but also loads of fun. You can read our electric adventures here http://www.arachnon.de/wb/pages/en/welcome.php

marxx
marxx

Previous

Return to General Discussion