'Route 66'.....St. Louis to Amarillo

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

'Route 66'.....St. Louis to Amarillo

Postby barebonesracecars » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:04 pm

Anyone live along this route? (Rt 44 to Oklahoma City; Rt 40 to Amarillo)

I hope to be going through here at the end of August on the way to Pueblo.

Any particularly good sights/restaurants/attractions I should look for?
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

route 66

Postby spyderman1977 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:03 pm

I used to live in Amarillo and not too far from the old RT. 66 through town. I heard the Big Texan in Amarillo was good and they have the 72 oz. steak. Its free if you eat it and the side plates in under an hour. I don't know why I never went there just never got around to it. There is also the Cadiallac (sp) ranch just on the west side of Amarillo. In my opinion you will see all you need to see from the road since the cars have been picked over sooo bad and there is sooo much spray paint over whats left of the cars that there really is not too much to see. I never made the trip to or from Oklahoma City on Rt. 66 so I can't say much there but if its like the rest of Oklahoma there will not be much to see.

I live about 1.5-2 hours south of Oklahoma City if on your way back you want to stop by let me know.

(940)-337-6738

Paul
spyderman1977

1976 Buick Skyhawk Free Spirit

Postby monza75tc » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:35 pm

Reid,

Whats happening in Pueblo?? Used to live there and in Pueblo West.

Dick
monza75tc

1975 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby barebonesracecars » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:59 am

Paul: Thanks. If I'm hungry when I hit Amarillo, I'll look for the place. I think there is a Route 66 website that may list some attractions. I won't have much time to play around, but if there are some old restaurants, hotels, or weird roadside sites, I'll be watching for them. I'll head home on I-70, but if you were right along the way heading west, I'd try to stop in.

Dick: Nothing car related. I have a buddy that was born and raised there; met him here in Ohio when he got out of the Marine Corps, and moved back a few years ago. His parents live east of town just off of I-50. My buddy and his wife are looking at places in Pueblo West, but he's renting somewhere right now.

His parents own some cabins up in the Sangre De Cristos near Silver Cliff. Whenever I go out west, we usually stay up there a few nights...very quiet, rustic, and pioneer-like. We also always drive over Medano Pass to the backside of the Dunes. Ever been over that Pass? It's 7 miles and takes about 3 hours. Very rugged terrain, and lots 'o fun.
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Postby greg72 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:23 am

Reid , sounds like an assume trip!

My wife and I love road trips we stay off the Interstates whenever we have the luxury of time. Never know what you will see.

Have fun.
Greg
greg72

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby HotfootGT » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:19 pm

Howdy from Hotlanta
73 Kammback "Little Buddy"
62 Skylark 215 CI Aluminum V8
71 Dodge D-100 Sweptline
HotfootGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Return to General Discussion