Looking for my 1979 Monza Spyder

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for my 1979 Monza Spyder

Postby carbuff » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:28 pm

First, this is my first post, as a few members suggested I look here.

I am looking for my old 1979 Monza Spyder VIN: 1R07G97248143

Need your help please. Willing to pay good $$ to whoever has her. If she still exists. (see attached photos from 1991).

Bright blue with a black interior, automatic 305V8, loaded with options.
Minus 2 options which I later added, the posi and intermittent windshield wipers. Two fairly rare options. S
When I sold the car, it had every available option except air conditioning. No air. But it did have a factory sunroof, so that was OK.

I purchased her brand new in 1979 in Calgary, AB and sold in 1993 in Burnaby, BC The car was the first new car I ever bought. Back in 1979.
If the car is still on the road, it is likely in BC or AB, but could be anywhere in Canada or the USA now.

I have been regretting that decision to sell her ever since. Almost 20 years ago.

The engine makes it unique, and easily to identify. It also had an aftermarket Alpine stereo.
And black aluminum louvers on the back window that you could lift to clean the window.
I still have the original bill of sale for it from 1979. It cost $8000. Lists all the option codes.

I sold it for close to nothing, including extras like brand new center caps for the 10-hole almuminum wheels I added from an earlier h-body.
I added these since the Rallye II wheels were all warped on the 1979 models right out of the factory and caused bad shimmy at highway speeds.
I also sold it with 2 brand new OEM decal kits that I was storing as extras. The last 2 kits GM had in stock in North America. Service manuals, original factory brochures, etc.

This car was in good shape. Other accessories, and a ton of paperwork went with it to the 15-year old kid who bought it in 1993.

I tried to look for it a few years back with our BC state insurance company (DMV), but it was no longer registered.
CarProof and Carfax do not go back that far in time. They seem to start in 1980.

I have only seen one other Monza in years here in BC, a nice orange stick with beige interior with fresh aftermarket hot orange paint in Surrey last summer. Looked great!

My car was VIN: 1R07G97248143
The one identifying feature was the engine. I painted her orange, instead of the stock blue, and it was chromed up a bit. And I had an Alpine stereo put in.

Sure would like to find her if she has not met the crusher....Do you know this car?

Sure miss my little Monza.

Cheers,
Carbuff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carbuff

Re: Looking for my 1979 Monza Spyder

Postby hammerdown7 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:15 pm

Welcome and good luck with the search!

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby carbuff » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:48 am

Thanks. Still looking, no luck yet. No leads.
But have met a bunch of great Monza owners so far...Did not realize there is such a huge Monza community here.

When I sold my car in 1993, nobody cared about Monzas, The junk yards were full of them, and I could not find good parts for them anymore. Today, you can buy decal kits again and other stuff. I am inspired!
carbuff

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:50 am

I wrote a nice reply yesterday, but my computer gave me a blue screen before I was done.

Do you have any side pics of that spyder? What A super color combo. Thats exactly the color I would have ordered.

I favor the 78's, but the improved sunroof on the 79's makes those just as great.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby cosworth0135 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:49 am

by all means don't give up, if you can't find your car, pick up a different one and do a re-create,you'll enjoy it just as much and know you did it right Timmy
i currently drive a geo metro,insert silly joke here,, but i'll pass you while your getting gas
If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time,how will you have time/money to do it again. Timmy
cosworth0135

Postby wascobi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:31 am

I know just how you feel. I spent some time looking for my old '80 monza spyder. bought it off the showroom floor at motorcade gm in abbotsford, b.c. triple red 4 speed. unfortunatley i dont have my vin. I tried to get info about it from icbc, but of course privacey issues. the very understanding person i talked to said she could see it in my file, and that the vin was still 'viable'. when i traded it in '85, i knew i was gonna regret it. that car took me on some of the best adventures i ever had. last year i picked up a white '80 spyder automatic. red interior and sunroof. still had the factory cassette. when I drove it home it was sure trippy, but despite how much fun it was, it still wasnt my old car.

tell me a bit about your vibration problem. from day one mine would shake violently at 90km to 110km. I bought new tires at 4000km because the tire shop said they had belt slip and gm would not warranty them. made no difference. they changed the bearings, hub/rotor, and lower balljoints with no change. im sure we checked the wheels for true when the new tires were installed. was there a service bulliten about this? I was sure the cause was from my car falling off the train during delivery! and honestly, motorcade service dept and body shop had a horrible rep in the early '80s.

good luck, I wish you well in your search!
wascobi

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby wascobi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:37 am

according to the aircare website, your old car was last tested feb.28/94.
wascobi

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby tinsfci » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:46 am

Actually, it was feb. 20/95: (even if the odometer seems to have run backwards...)
missing_monza_aircare.jpg

Here´s the link to that page (thanks wascobi)
http://www.aircare.ca/inspinfo-get-results.php

Don´t you have some kind of car registry authority in Canada? In Sweden we have. And I´m almost certain that they can dig out the vehicles history even if it´s (hope not) scrapped. Like the last registered owner.

Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tinsfci

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby classic_cruiser » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:09 pm

It's odd that the mileage in '95 is less than the mileage in '94...
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:38 pm

'94 has to be wrong because the odometer only has 5 digits.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby cosworth0135 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:23 pm

not always Dick sometimes they just assume because of the year of the car it is assumed it is over 100k.but neither off my cars are over 100k either Timmy
i currently drive a geo metro,insert silly joke here,, but i'll pass you while your getting gas
If you don't have time/money to do it right the first time,how will you have time/money to do it again. Timmy
cosworth0135

Postby carbuff » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Bump!

For some reason, the this forum did not alert me when replies were posted. So if you guys are still around, thanks for the info.
I did have the last smog check info, and contacted all the authorities to see if I could find the VIN still on the road somewhere. The car just disappeared after 1995. Never got the next smog check. (The mileage on 1995 smog check was wrong).
Which means it died and was crushed, or it got moved to somewhere else in the world (likely Canada or USA). But then it should have still popped up on a CarFax, right?

It has been 8 years, and still nothing turned up. Anyone seen this car?

Reward offered for helping find the car, if it has not been crushed yet.

Sadly, I have not seen a Monza here on the roads in 20 years. Did see a really beat-up example of one at a car show few years back.
Is that all that is left out there? Made me want to cry.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!
carbuff

Postby Smiley » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:30 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1812090 ... 36&sfns=mo
AA846F5E-59D4-4A62-8590-910F53C11D60.jpeg
Smiley

Postby gregh » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 pm

Funny I was just looking at that ad but it's a 75 and no sunroof.
gregh

Postby Smiley » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:52 am

Might be good start to build a clone.
Smiley

Next

Return to General Discussion