Hood Gas Struts 72 Vega (UPDATE)

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Hood Gas Struts 72 Vega

Postby V8VEGA*71 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:22 pm

Vegastre,

Thank you for the complement! :D

A: The extend length from center of each mounting point is 18" and the compressed length is about 11"
A: The pounds force of each strut is about 30 lbs. A little strong for the fiberglass hood, but the fiberglass hood does not have much inertia, and as the center of gravity of the hood gets closer to the pivot point (hinges) the less the gas struts have to support the weight of the hood. In the open position the fiberglass hood is nearly weightless, so it comes to a stop rather abruptly at the end of the stroke. On the other hand, an iron hood has much more inertia in comparison to the fiberglass hood and will come to a stop a little more gracefully. Manufactures recommend selecting a gas strut with a lbs. force of about 1.2 times the weight of the object they are going to support. In our case i think finding a struts with a combined lbs. force that is equal to the weight of the hood (if its being lifted from its center of gravity) would be more suitable. You will have to lift the hood a little bit higher before the struts take over, but it will come to a stop better.

A: I went to the local junk yard and found a newer Ford van that had been crashed. I pulled the brackets off of the frame of the rear hatch. They are covered up by some molding that can removed with a large phillips screwdriver. The brackets on the frame can be removed with a large phillips screwdriver as well. I completely forgot to check the model of the van when I was at the junkyard last, 'nature calls' haha. I plan on stopping by the junk yard to check the model on my way to work this afternoon.
V8VEGA*71

Postby vegastre » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Great info,
I went to weigh the Vega hood and the bathroom scales are broke. Anyone have an idea how mauch a Vega hood weighs?
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby 48 Fiat » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:50 pm

I just weighed our stock 71 Vega hood, looks like 39.2 pounds Hope this helps. Dave.
48 Fiat

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby vegastre » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:56 am

looks like 39.2 pounds

Very much helps.

Is that in Idaho Potato pounds Dave =) Just kidding,
Much appreciated and it looks like I will go with two 50LBS or a single 75-100LBS. Hmmm...
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby 48 Fiat » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:21 am

Yes, I figured the hood was just shy of 4 ten pound bags of Idaho's finest. Good luck with your project, Dave.
48 Fiat

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Re: Hood Gas Struts 72 Vega (UPDATE)

Postby vegastre » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:15 pm

UPDATE: Jan. 2013

As I mentioned I never cared for the prop rod so I started thinking about using lift supports. This was no easy task from a design standpoint. After all the good comments here I had a good start but The more I tried different combinations the more frustrated I got. No matter where I placed them they seemed to be in the way or poor attachment points. Finally I just gave up and when ever I got some spare time I would study a new approach, new placement. This has went on since last may and after a lot and I mean a lot of time spent I decided to take a different approach. My thought was where would the Vega designers have put one. The key was a strut small as possible and out of the way. Something clicked when I started looking at different car lift support designs and finally I saw a design I thought would work on the Astre. It was almost a gift from the Gods. I measured and then cross referenced and after a quick trip to the Recycle yard I found the struts and related hardware.The real beauty of my design is it works as advertised. Its simple to install, almost a bolt on affair. It takes up virtually no space and tucks in neatly flush with the hood and top of the fender.

A few pics below of the install which works beautifully. One lift support per side which holds the hood almost vertical in a very solid fashion. No wind will blow this hood down. Also the hood closes with the normal feel.The lift support in these pics looks huge because of close up photo proportions but the actual strut is very small.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby astreformula » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:17 pm

Great job. The only drawback to the set-up is that the struts do need replacing eventually. Your set-up looks pretty much like mine. I've had this set-up for well over 15 years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
astreformula

Postby astreformula » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:18 pm

opps didnt get all the pix
astreformula

Postby vegastre » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 am

Well,
Too bad you didn't see my post months ago. It would have saved me a lot and I mean a lot of experimentation. Ya, its so simple a design you just wouldn't think it would work. Looks like you added an extra bolt to you fender bracket. I found it not necessary if you design up a fairly beefy bracket. I used some aluminum angle. The fender where the bracket attaches is fairly flimsy and you need a strong bracket because of all the torque and pressure from the strut. That was another experimentation design I tackled =)

On a different note: Are those fans? To vent hot engine compartment air?
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby astreformula » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:53 am

vegastre wrote:Well,
Too bad you didn't see my post months ago. It would have saved me a lot and I mean a lot of experimentation. Ya, its so simple a design you just wouldn't think it would work. Looks like you added an extra bolt to you fender bracket. I found it not necessary if you design up a fairly beefy bracket. I used some aluminum angle. The fender where the bracket attaches is fairly flimsy and you need a strong bracket because of all the torque and pressure from the strut. That was another experimentation design I tackled =)

On a different note: Are those fans? To vent hot engine compartment air?

I got lucky with my set-up. Just took some measurements and went to the wreckers and found something close to what I thought I needed. My set -up came off an 86 Olds. As you can see its scribed on both struts. The only thing I didn't do was scribed in the model that they came off of. Just thinking ahead when I have to replace the struts. The bracket also came off the donor car.

Yes, those are fans to vent the hot engine compartment. They have a hose attached to them and vent out into the wheel well area.
For what its worth, the ducting you see in one of the pix is for my ram air cleaner. It ducts to just underneath the front bumper.
astreformula

Postby vegastre » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:35 am

Yes, those are fans to vent the hot engine compartment.

I have been giving this some thought for awhile now just not sure of what fan(s) and how much it would really help. I guess it couldn't hurt =) All I know is I will be running a supercharger soon and heat is a factor as I will not be installing an intercooler.

My supports came off a 95 Grand Marquee and barely fit. Of course my measurements were not exact and I will admit I got lucky. I stood out in the driveway today opening and closing the hood so I could admire what a sweet answer this is to the prop rod.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:27 am

Looks Great Phil! Could you look at one of the cylinders and see if they have a number on them ie: Strongarm 4411 most do but the sticker usualy falls off quickly. And you too AstreFormula this would certianly help me and others I'm sure. (This is sometimes easier than by application) Hey since I`m being greedy how about some measurements too. I would really appreciate that as this is on my very long to do list as well. Thanx Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegastre » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Sorry no numbers on mine. As I mentioned the lift supports came off a '95 Grand Marquee. 14” center to center and 11” collapsed with a 3-3/4 throw or rod spacing from the end of the cylinder to the base. Just so happens that the Vega hood arm travels just about 3-3/4 from open to close. Its a tight fit so I would go with a strut that has at least 4” or larger 'throw'. The bracket at the fender you can play with. Its a small diameter cylinder although in the pic it doesn't look like it. Hope this helps and I would put this on your short list as this is not a difficult install. You will spend more time running around buying the parts.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby astreformula » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:42 pm

Monza Harry wrote:Looks Great Phil! Could you look at one of the cylinders and see if they have a number on them ie: Strongarm 4411 most do but the sticker usualy falls off quickly. And you too AstreFormula this would certianly help me and others I'm sure. (This is sometimes easier than by application) Hey since I`m being greedy how about some measurements too. I would really appreciate that as this is on my very long to do list as well. Thanx Harry

Your in luck. I had to replace the hood supports a couple of months ago using supports purchased from O'Reilly' Auto Parts. Their part number was SG430007.
In the pix of the right side hood hinge, I have a measurement of 1.25" from hood hinge to center of where the ball stud needs to go.
astreformula

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanx Guy's That is Excellent, mine is for my Monza and this is for the hood after it is made of fiberglass with a cowl induction scoop. Again Thanx Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion