Field of H-bodies - SAVED!

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Field of H-bodies - SAVED!

Postby sportriderok » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:01 pm

July 16, 2014 - Last time for this old post, I swear!

Looks like I am the new owner of all of these cars. I passed on the ones that have been cut up for racing because I don't know anything about the stuff on them or how to get rid of them. I got the rest, including the nice 71 hatch and the 75 Cosworth, the guy who was buying it backed out. Looks like I'll wind up with 14 cars, plus the 5 I have already bought. I'm towing them out one at a time and trying to get an idea which ones are savable and which ones will be parted out. Unfortunately I got no titles or keys with any of them, so that will limit how many I sell whole. Look the photos over again and if there's anything you may be interested in send me a private message or email me direct at txsportrider@yahoo.com. This will either be a lot of fun or the worst decision I've ever made!

I'm sorry to dredge up this old post, but the guy who has these is fed up with them and is considering scrapping them all. I bought the Nomads, the Sunbird wagon, and the silver Astre. The Cosworth, 75 LX, and Monza coupe are gone. The 71 hatch that is the best of all of them is still available, and there are a couple of later coupes and hatches are still there as well. There are 2 LUV trucks, also. If you have any interest, let me know and I'll try to help. Still no parts, full cars only!

I had a picture of my Vega project on my computer background at work, and a co-worker asked me if I needed any parts for it. He said his brother had a few Vegas he wanted to get rid of. I got the name and within a few minutes I had talked to his brother and set a time to go look at the cars. When I asked him how many he had, he said around 30. Of course, I had visions of a field of perfect Vegas sitting there, waiting for someone to come fire them up and drive them away.

Saturday was cold, foggy and rainy here, but I went to check the cars out anyway. They were there, just like he said, but not like I visioned. There are probably 25-30 of them, but none are perfect, and some are pretty sorry. A lot are incomplete in some way or another. There are some pretty cool and interesting cars there, and a couple are really nice. I found the parts car I need for my project, a black on black GT hatch with a 5-speed and an intact dashboard, but not much else. We came to a quick and very reasonable price, and as soon as it dries out a bit outside I'll be bringing it home.

He really wants to get rid of all of these cars. He knows his H-bodies, and I doubt he'll be giving them away. He said he has a few titles, but most will not have them. He will not sell any parts, only complete cars. So, here are a few examples. I will try to get pictures when I pick up my car.

75 Cosworth, nice white interior, rough body, no engine or trans.
(2) Nomad wagons, a white 5-speed with air and a Firethorn auto, both have all the Nomad panels and the vinyl top moldings, but the side and tailgate moldings are mostly gone, and the cars are pretty rough.
71 Vega hatch in real good shape except for some cowl rust, auto with deluxe trim in and out. Mustard yellow with black interior in near perfect condition, front and rear valances are perfect, nice chrome, AC, rear defog, no motor. Nicest car there, and very savable.
74 or 75 LX notchback, brown with super nice brown deluxe interior. Auto, AC, rust under vinyl top. Engine is free and he thinks it will run. I might buy this one myself, it's pretty nice. There are probably 4 or 5 other late body notchbacks, but most are base cars and rough.
(2) Astre hachbacks, I didn't check them out real well.
78 Sunbird wagon
76 Monza Towne Coupe, all V8 stuff is gone.
A couple of drag cars, one is tubbed with a 4 link, one is cut for it. I'm not a racer, so I don't know a lot about the quality of these.
A few more hatches, two early cars and a few late ones.

If anyone is interested in any of these, I'll help in any way I can. I can get pictures and I'll discribe things to the best of my ability. The cars are in Oklahoma, between OKCity and Tulsa. I can pick them up and store them at my place for a few months if anyone needs that. I'm going to try and not become the broker for these cars, but the owner is a little anti-establishment and doesn't trust a lot of folks. I doubt if anyone pulled in off the road he'd talk to them. I will give you his number after I have let him know someone is interested to protect his privacy. I'm not making any money on this, and any deals struck will be between you and the car owner.

So its not the score I'd hoped for, but there are a lot of good projects sitting out there for the right people. I hope we can save at least a few of these!

Ken Neal
sportriderok
txsportrider@yahoo.com
Last edited by sportriderok on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
sportriderok

1977 Chevrolet Monza Sport Coupe

Re: Field of H-bodies - and they are all for sale!

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Ken,
If possible would you check the VIN and dash number on the Cosworth. The Club tries to document each one that we find.
Thanks,
Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby dc8fixer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:25 pm

I'm looking for the "Chevrolet" emblem for my 76 tc (above the grill on drivers side)
dc8fixer

Postby ROB » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:07 pm

I'm curious about an Astre tail light panel with lights for a conversion.

Rob
1976 Cosworth Vega, #2825
I'm not a purist, this is gonna have a V8.
ROB

Postby sportriderok » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:27 pm

I'll definitly get the info off the Cosworth, Dick. I think its great you guys keep track of them. I know one of the Astre's rear panel was damaged, but I'll check on the other one. But he won't sell parts, only complete cars. I'll keep an eye out for the header emblem.
sportriderok

Postby cos2482 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:54 pm

Pictures, please. Don't tease!!
Jim
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007 ... ves-vegas/

1973 Vega GT Hatchback (Millionth Vega)
1975 Vega GT Kammback (Nomad modification)
1976 Vega GT Hatchback (stock)
1976 Vega Cosworth (white/white, stock)
1977 Vega Estate (stock)
1977 Vega Hatchback (stock, bought new)
2011 Ford Ranger XLT (2,3 twincam 5spd std)
2000 Ford ranger XLT (2,5L 5spd std)
2003 Chevrolet Tracker (LT)
2015 Chevrolet Trax LTZ AWD
cos2482

Postby sportriderok » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:14 am

Hang in there, Jim! It was so foggy and nasty when I saw them I couldn't get good pictures, but when I pick up my car I'll take as many as the owner will let me!
sportriderok

Postby trailhead » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Ken i need to check on buying the old tubsout drag car as i need parts I am building a pro street 75 Vega. thanks MIKE.
trailhead

Postby sportriderok » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:48 am

I'm trying to pick up my car Thursday night, Saturday at the latest. I'll get pictures and details for you, Mike.
sportriderok

Postby sportriderok » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm picking up my Vega tomorrow and the forecast looks good. Any more requests for pictures besides Mike and Dick?
sportriderok

Postby sportriderok » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Here are some pictures I took this weekend while picking up my parts car. Let me know if there is any interest. He is motivated to sell them and would make someone a good deal on all of them at once. I considered it for a while myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sportriderok on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportriderok

Re: Field of H-bodies - now with pictures!

Postby sportriderok » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:48 pm

This is Cosworth #1308. Black with nice white interior. At least one repaint, body has primer spots, inside full of parts, no motor or trans. Check the homemade Vanity plate, someone loved this car once.

EDIT - This car is sold!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sportriderok on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportriderok

Postby sportriderok » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:57 pm

These two are the nicest cars there, the 71 hatch and the 75 notch. Both have perfect interiors anf nice bodies, but the notch has severe rust under the vinyl top, worse than I first thought. The 71 has cowl rust and damage to the left rear quarter, but very worthy of saving.

EDIT - The 75 LX Notch is sold, but the 71 hatch is still available and is very nice. He says it may run, but we all know how that goes!
Last edited by sportriderok on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportriderok

Postby sportriderok » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:04 am

trailhead - Mike, this is the car you asked about.
sportriderok

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:17 am

Ken, Thanks for the CV VIN.
Dick
hammerdown7

Next

Return to General Discussion