Vega Door Removal

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Vega Door Removal

Postby 74Sleeper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Hey guys, could you clue me in as to how to remove the driver and passenger door on a 74 wagon? I cant seem to figure it out, but I guess I havent looked that hard... Would rather start here! :D
74Sleeper

Re: Vega Door Removal

Postby kgroombr » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:05 pm

I made a special tool to help, but can be done a lot of other ways. I would highly recommend having a buddy as these doors are heavy. My special tool is about a two foot rod that has a dimple drilled into the end so that it fits nicely on the tip of the door pin. The top door pin should point up, and the bottom door pin should point down. The rod sticks up just enough beyond the door so that it can be hammered out without hitting the door.

I use a piece of wood on a jack and have it under the door and have the buddy hold the door steady while removing the pins. I do the bottom on first, then the top one.

It might take some hard solid hits, but should pop loose. I crow bar may be needed after getting it loose to get it completely out. Place the notch under the head and whack the edge of the crow bar with a hammer to get it completely out.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:36 pm

The door pins have small "ears" or retainers on them to keep them in place. So, hammering them will get them out but pretty much destroy the retainers. Unfortunately, trying to squeeze the ears while pushing the pins out is almost impossible. Here's a pic of what they look like so you know what you are dealing with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 74Sleeper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:19 pm

Awesome, thanks for the help guys, its much appreciated. Sounds like quite a chore to get them out and then back in so I will just leave them for now. I mostly wanted to take them off while I work in my small garage so I wouldnt have to be banging the walls when opening and closing the doors. Anywho, much appreciated!
74Sleeper

Postby classic_cruiser » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:36 am

It also helps to lube up the pins quite a bit, especially if they have any rust on them. The pins often get stuck in the bushings. WD-40, PB-blaster, or a mix of acetone and transmission fluid work well, or use your own favorite "mix".
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby jpb04619 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:46 am

i always use an air chisel with a dimpled rod in it...never failed me yet....make sure to support the latch side john b
jpb04619

Postby hoffbug » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:46 am

Are replacement pins and bushings available somewhere?
You can sleep in your car, but you cant drive your house!
77 Vega "The Vegrant"
hoffbug

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:56 pm

I Just ordered bushings from Rock Auto they weren't expensive at all! But I haven't stumbled across any pins yet, I suppose a call to Clyde is in order, or I would have to make them (I have enough projects now :bang: ). Harry Open up the body exterior and then door bushings. You will need to order 4 sets(2 per pack times 4 hinges) http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframe ... type=10730 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... cc=1056675
EDIT I just found these on eBay pretty cheap all in one set. http://www.ebay.com/itm/310413334316?ss ... 1423.l2649
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to General Discussion