I %$#@%@$#% GIVE UP!!!!!!

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Flow problem

Postby Monza Madness » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:51 pm

v8aster, your talking about a high flow stat and an under driven pump, if the pump isn't flowing high and the fan isn't turning fast how is the high flow stat supposed to flow high? How would it ballance out? It's like running a garden hose through a down spout, the spout can flow high but doesn't make the garden hose run any faster.
Roger
79 IMSA TPI 350 A/C 700R4
79 Spyder 305 A/C 200r4
Monza Madness

1979 Chevrolet Monza IMSA

Pulley Option

Postby monza4me » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:39 pm

While dealing with the 'rare' monza water pump pulley, I discovered that the set from a Pontiac 403 feature the same diameter/ offset as the stock v8 monza, yet they are drilled for the smaller fan pattern. I run a 2 groove wpp by using a 3 groove AC water pump pulley with no spacer between the pulley/pump after parting off the 3rd groove. The good news is that this pulley was placed on all of the 77-81 california edition trans ams among many generic others and is widely availible in scrap yards.
monza4me

V8 Vega

Postby vega_man_larry » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:16 pm

I too run the V8 Monza WP pulleys. I also have a Corvette WP. I have the Griffin Radiator and I have the front airdam that diverts the air into the radiator. My radiator is also sealed. Lastly I'm looking for a V8 Monza fan. I run 430 HP and a higher stall automatic and live in coastal Texas so heat is an issue. I can run the car without overheating but let me loose the airflow and I'm in troubble. I have about 20 minutes of idling time before I need to get moving or shut her off. I never had overheating issues in Delaware, but then we average 20 degrees hotter here which is a big deal.

Larry
vega_man_larry

Postby v8astregt » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:58 pm

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

So far, it's looking like this.

1) I'm going to go get a 18 lb radiator cap today (maybe even 20lb??)

2) Toss craplastic fan and get an aluminum one pictured a couple posts up.

3) Overdrive my water pump with these pulleys: ebay # 290004917395. I'd use the smaller w/p pulley with my 6.8" crank pulley. I'll talk to them and see if I can get just the w/p pulley. I'd do a stock one, but I've gotta have a little show on the engine! 8)

This is what I'll start with. At least the fan and the cap maybe today. I'll the pulley in a week or so since I've run myself dry on $$ to get to this point. After I get more $$ saved in a month or so, I'll get the front valance from Vegamods.com, I emailed them and they said they still have valances for sale.

I'll get this engine working in there... mainly because I DREAD doing another engine swap in that car! Not fun!

And EROCK! I'm probably gonna bring it to the Friday night cruise since you want to see it. It's only 2 miles away, so I can do that easily enough.
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby EagleFish » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:15 pm

[In short, many enthusiasts overlook these simple, proven techniques successfully employed by GM Engineers in the construction of the V8 Monza.quote]

Very good automotive wisdom! :wink:

This is exactly what we pointed out in one of our posts a few years back when a lot of V8 HBody owners were crying about overheating engines. One has to be careful of the changes made to entire cooling system when building a V8 1st or 2nd gen HBody car. If one follow the path of the GM engineers, there should not be an overheating problem. (KISS) Keep It Simple Stupid

John and Richard[/quote]
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:12 pm

Early V8 Monza's used a solid 7 blade fan, which is what I am still using. In 1977 there was a design change in the radiator area to allow a clutch fan to be used.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby starfire383 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:31 pm

Random thoughts.......
Your lack of vacuum advance is hurting you way more than you think and will grossly contribute to low speed overheating

The valence panel is also a big factor, it supplies a bunch of air at even low speeds.

How may CFM is your pusher rated at? If it's too small, it could be more of a restriction than a helper. Consider dual pullers staggered around the water pump, or with a clearance hole if they're mounted in a shroud. Pullers are always more effective than pushers.

Last resort, consider a cowl induction hood that's not sealed to the air cleaner to exhaust hot air, or possibly some TA fender vents or some other kind of vent in the hood. My starfire runs 10 degrees cooler with the cowl hood versus the stocker

The motor should loosen up a little in 50-100 miles, it's not uncommon for them to run super hot first trip out.

Until you get it sorted out, run full synthetic motor oil, it'll take the heat without breaking down and protect your motor

Good Luck!
starfire383

Evens cooling systems

Postby Buscop » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:06 pm

Check out this site.. http://www.evanscooling.com/

:lol:
Russell G Hilder
1949 Model Wife
1979 Monza Wagon
2007 Harley FLHTCU
2009 Dodge Dakota Laramie
Buscop

1979 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby starfire383 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:30 pm

SunbirdMan wrote:When I upgraded to a 3 row radiator my stock fan clutch wouldn't fit anymore. I started pulling fans out of the junkyard. Because of the overdrive of the stock pulleys, these fans roared loudly. I ended up using o a fan like this:

Its worked fine on my 140hp v8 in southern california traffic and doesn't make noise.

Don't do anything drastic. Stock pulleys show up on ebay from time to time. You may be able to get Corvette pulleys that have about 30% overdrive.
The overdrive not only increases waterpump flow but air flow as well. imagine how little air is being moved while idling in traffic.

Almost forgot, I run one of those fans on my 383 and they suck. Not like suck air, just plain suck. (no offense sunbirdman, the 140hp probably makes all the difference in the world) If you can fit a different style of fan, use it. I'm forced into this one by a thick radiator that eliminates the chance of a clutch fan, and the taper on the tips make it the only flex fan I've found that clears my PS pulley. If you can find something that roars, you're in business. Roar=CFM

Good Luck!
starfire383

Overheating H Bodies

Postby texasvega » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:29 pm

I am a big fan of the 5.5 inch factory Monza V8 WP pulley. I tried matching chrome 7 inch pullys and my temps jumped 20-30 degrees here in DFW. Then went to a bigger fan, shroud, and Edelbrock Victor WP. Didn't help. Nothing helped - until I went back to the smaller WP pully and overdrove the WP. Now I have a Monza 3 core, no shroud, plastic fan, about 425 HP - and no problems. Find that 5.5 inch upper pully, and go to a 7 inch lower pully.
Michael
texasvega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby SunbirdMan » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:18 am

starfire383 wrote:
Almost forgot, I run one of those fans on my 383 and they suck. Not like suck air, just plain suck. (no offense sunbirdman, the 140hp probably makes all the difference in the world)

No offense taken, but I did have a qjet on it at one time pushing 150hp. Do you ever run into cooling problems with that fan?
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby v8astregt » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:39 am

Well this problem has come to a grueling stop.

I'm starting a new thread right now. Stay tuned. :evil:
75 Pontiac Astre GT: 406SBC/TH350, roll bar, S10 goodies, down to 11.47 so far, more to come later.
v8astregt

Postby EagleFish » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:38 pm

Starfire383 is correct. Incorrect timing can cause severe overheating, also. Sounds like you have a combination of issues causing your over heating problem

John and Richard
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Previous

Return to General Discussion