Wiring Sux- Part duex

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Wiring Sux- Part duex

Postby BBM66 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:09 am

Well with Spencer's and Stages help, among others, I now have power to the blower motor, which is a small miracle. But this has now led to other problems/questions. To wit: The blower is moving air, but there is no air getting inside the car which means the flap door between the firewall is not opening. My guess, is that it opens with vacuum>? I found 3 diaphrams within the heater/ac ductwork. One is on the far passenger side close to the floor and according to the schematic, is a air inlet valve, which I can operate manually and can see opening, but no air comes into the car. Just above and nearer the drivers side is another diaphram that I can also move manually and can hear a flap or something opening and closing, but cannot actually see anything moving. Again, when I move this one manually, no air comes into the car. The third and final diaphram is located just above the gas pedal, but I can neither move it manually or see a way to do it, but there is a vacuum line attached. SO, what have I missed? Will these flaps only move when vacuum is present or have I left something disconnected? Or have I just completely screwed the pooch here? How can I get the door directly behind the blower to open and allow air into the car?
Situation #2- The fan blows only on high speed. I have the relay and in the process of wiring it up to allow the slower speed, but heres the question. The realy has coils on the backside and appears to fit into the casing of the blower motor assembly somewhere and, the best I can tell, acts as something of a thermostat, allowing a change of speeds (speculation). As all I have left of the original casing is the squirrel cage housing, can I cut a place out of it and insert this relay? Will that suffice and allow the switch to change speeds? If need be, I can take pix to show you exactly what Im working with. Cant believe I'm going through this much headache just to have a freakin heater...but, it's cold here in the winter and I'm not 20 anymore, dangit!
Thanks for the thoughts and whatever help you may offer!
Bill
The Fleet:
1963 Chevrolet Impala-Miss Jean Marie
1973 Vega Hatchback
1995 Honda Civic
1965 Chevy C-10 Pickup
2004 F-350 Super Duty
BBM66

Re: Wiring Sux- Part duex

Postby gerbsinmd » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:33 am

If I remember correctly the H-body blower turns backwards to most other cars of the time. I once picked up a Blower motor at a salvage yard to replace my blower motor with squeaking bearings and had the same prob. I had a friend that owned a service station at the time look up the part numbers and found that little factoid. If that is the case the squirrel cage would move virtually no air INTO the car.
1999 Saturn SL2
2017 Cruze Hatchback
2008 Town & Country - Family transport
2018 Cruze - 35mpg - avg, 49.7mpg - best so far.
2011 Impala - commuter
RIP-2002 Saturn SL2 Commuter car - burned a valve @ 234k miles

1977 Monza Mirage being Restified!!
gerbsinmd

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby spencerforhire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:01 am

The blower motor resistor pack(NOT a relay) has coils of varying resistance that when put in series with the blower motor provide different voltages to make the lower speeds. On a non-A/C car, it's mounted inside under the dash in the air stream(to keep the coils from overheating), but I believe on the A/C vehicles it might be outside under the hood.
I can offer no assistance on the vacuum operated air door actuators.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby BBM66 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:26 am

I understand Spencer. The resistor coil I have has holes for screwes to go through and the wires and plug are in the engine compartment, so, as this car was an AC car at one time, your assessment as to location is correct. All I have left, as stated above, is the squirrel cage housing, so I have to figure out were to mount it, to make it work correctly. Im guessing it too, needs to be mounted in stream for cooling, so I'm thinking about creating a place in the squirrel cage housing...it should suffice.
Gerbsinmd......interesting thought. Gonna have to look into that for sure because your description fits my symptoms. I would still like to know how the mechanisms work, or supposed to work, to make the flaps open and close. Thanks for the input!
Bill
The Fleet:
1963 Chevrolet Impala-Miss Jean Marie
1973 Vega Hatchback
1995 Honda Civic
1965 Chevy C-10 Pickup
2004 F-350 Super Duty
BBM66

Return to General Discussion