baldwin vega diecast coming!

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

baldwin vega diecast coming!

Postby 73astregt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:00 am

supercar collectables is advertising a diecast of a 71 baldwin motion vega available in june 2014 heres the link! http://www.supercar1.com/catalog/index. ... ts_id=6873 drool boys, drool! :th: :dance:
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Re: baldwin vega diecast coming!

Postby Biscayne John » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:58 am

That is pretty cool, when we moved out of the Bronx to Long Island we were a few miles away from the Motion shop. The building is still there, when I get back up to NY I will take some pictures to post, pretty much looks the same. Baldwin Chevrolet who supplied the cars for Motion used to run ads in the local paper for brand new/hardly used six cylinder engines. The engine in our 63 Nova Wagon died around 1970 and my Dad and I went there to look into buying one. We went to Baldwin Chevrolet on a nice spring Saturday and the parts manager told my Dad the engine was coming out of a brand new car which he showed us, I think that too was a Nova. My Dad felt something was wrong because he felt that the engine had to be bad if it were coming out of a new car, he thought flood damaged. Despite the Parts Manager telling him he did not understand it either but they are taking the six out and putting in V-8's, Dad shook his head and walked away and he told me in his thick NYC/Bronx accent "something f'n stinks here" So we went then to junkyard where he bought a used engine that burned oil and needed a valve job. At that time I was 13 years old. My Dad was a car guy then but was into Brass Era Model T's and he had a 1917 490 Chevy, and only viewed new cars as throw away transportation, and felt nobody would ever restore them as he would say "way too much cheap f'n plastic" Come to think of it I would suspicious too if I went to a dealer today and they offered me an engine out of a new car for half price a crate engine. I just did not realize what I was looking at then, my loss.

Before my Dad passed away I showed him the Baldwin Motion Book, and still thought he made the right decision back then.....

Sorry to bore everyone but looking at the Motion Die Cast just brought back to a great place and time in my mind........... Thanks
John Mahoney
Long Island NY/Ocala FL
AACA
VCCA
CVOA
BCA
The Fleet
1954 Chevrolet BelAir sPort Coupe
1960 Chevrolet Impala 2 door Sport Coupe 348/340HP (AACA Grand National Winner)
1962 Chevrolet Impala 2 door Sport Coupe 409/409HP(the last one to do)
1962 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door Sedan 327 Auto (AACA Grand National Winner)
1977 Monza Mirage 4 speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon (was my mother in laws since new 42K miles)
2011 28' Bendron Titan Enclosed Trailer; what they travel in when we go
2018 GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel Crew Cab; how we get them there without sweating
2015 Cadillac CTS
Biscayne John

Postby T-FATTY » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:35 pm

I got one from American Muscle a couple of years back.
YES I accept paypal donations...
T-FATTY

Postby Musicman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:07 am

Any idea what scale they will be?
Well it seemed I'd forget, but I remember those nights, Yeah life was just a bet on a race between the lights
Musicman

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby NVEGAR8D » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:35 am

Hi,
They are likely 1:18 scale
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:03 pm

John you didn't bore me and I am sure that most were not! The whole collector culture is about revisiting the past (trying to make it the way we wanted to back then) so these trips down memory lane are the blessings of revisiting the past, sometimes HAPPY sometimes melancholy! With time we come to appreciate both. I'll have to watch for that baby at the hobby shop. Thanx for sharing! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 73astregt » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:05 pm

supposed to be a 71 baldwin in cherry and white and a 72 in orange and white orange looks the same as a members clone here. and yes they are 1/18th scale diecast they are on my list for my vega diecast collection. does anyone have any 1/24 scale plastic vega kits theyd be willing to part with? i want to (a) build a mini me of my astre (B)try to build a motion vega or two! yes im pretty sure there are no 73 astre kits ever produced but i will make the grill mods and tail light bezels from modelling putty. here is a 62 impala ss 409 4 speed i just finished and gave to my aunt who had one when i was a kid!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby ol55 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:05 pm

Great story John :th: I thought the same thing as your father when I sat in a new Challenger in 1970(without the f'n,that came later). In that case, I think the build quality on restored vehicles can be better than the original.

That '62- She's Real Fine (but not mine :( )

Nice models but I will need to put the $ into my Vega. Maybe when it's finished, I'll be able to buy one for $179 on ebay.:shock:

Larry
'73 Vega GT Hatchback hot rod.
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Postby peterpan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:46 pm

I have two of the orange and black ones I painted one chevy indigo blue cause I thought it was the color I wanted on my 72
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
second star to the right strait on till morning
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Return to General Discussion