New guy need help!!!

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

New guy need help!!!

Postby hervegawagon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:23 pm

Hey there everybody! new here to the forum,here is my situation- a few months ago we picked up a really clean '74 gt wagon up in Vancouver Wash. with the intention of having a nice easy restoration for my wife to drive. Well now that I have the problem of there apparently being no original brake parts to be found! so I thought about going with later (76) parts but they seem to be getting scarce too. This leaves s-10 stuff as my best option right? Well living here in Tillamook Oregon there are no salvage yards any where close to me and I don't have the equipment to do the welding needed anyway sooo I guess I am looking for a rearend from a s-10 that has been set-up for the vega allready.I'm not looking to build a race car or anything like that, just a real nice driver. The front end upgrades appear to be available new right? I wuold like to stay original four link in the rear. Eventually I think probably try to find an iron duke for it but the motor seems to be real good for now the rest of the car is just a gem, original paint,very little rust ect so i don't want to go crazy on it no radical custom :D Oh by the way my name is mark-any ideas around my area would be great! thanx :th:
hervegawagon

Re: New guy need help!!!

Postby kgroombr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:54 pm

Most of the rear brake parts are still available. Check www.rockauto.com

The only thing that will be tough to get are the rear struts. Not sure why they are called that, but they are the adjusters. There pop up on ebay every now and then. The only reason to replace them is if they are rusted stuck or no longer click to adjust (outward). To make adjustment easier you will need a special tool so that you can collapse them. Still plenty of them cheap on ebay (lookup Vega Brake Tool). Springs may be a bit tough, but there are still some on rockauto.

I think you should stay original if possible. Not many original Vegas left. Please post pics.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby hervegawagon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:16 am

I really appreciate the folks that I am getting input from! This car reminds me of all the years as a chevy II guy where everything is interchangable until you try to make it fit then you find all the "little" changes from year to year :D As soon as my wife can get some time, we will get some pictures up and get a build post going (she does the computer stuff if I spend to much time on it, I have a hard time not smashing it-me and computers don't get along :D So anyhows thanx everybody talk to y'all later.
hervegawagon

Postby firebird77clone » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Actually, lots of parts are out there, just need to check eBay and this site. The pads and shoes probably check O Rileys, it all depends on how big a hurry you're in. Rotors seem to be the toughest to find.
firebird77clone

Postby Sunula66 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:21 am

Hi Mark!
A hearty Welcome from here and happy you found this site! Other than the E-bay and computer sites for parts this is probably the best place and don't be shy and check out the" for sale" section for parts there as well. Just recently a post was entered about Vega wagons about to be crushed and parted out. I know that NAPA also carries brake components as I just bought another pair of brake rotors and drums for the Sunbird from Vancouver Canada. A new member in Holland is buying stuff from here and is restoring an Astre so you're not alone as I can see, still a huge interest in these vehicles and they seem to pop up again and again. Also, other good news is that there are several companies re-popping and re-engineering suspension components so that conversions are becoming more common and a little easier if you do decide to modify so as I was saying, check out the For Sale section on here and maybe help out another" H-buddy" enthusiast first and thanks again for keeping the "dream" alive :th: ...Ron.
"remember... not everything is good on TOAST!"
3 Birds of a Feather...
#1 the Silver '80 W-66 code Formula purchased 9 years ago
#2 red "80 W-66 code Formula purchased Mar./16
#3 black '78-9 coupe with spoiler kit and 4spd 305...parted out to a Terrific H-Buddy
2015 Cruze Turbo Diesel/ Just replaced by the 2016 Sonic
'98 GMC 1/2 ton with corporate 3/4 ton driveline still makin' it all possible
Sunula66

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby hervegawagon » Sun May 25, 2014 2:34 pm

I have decided to try and stat as original as we can so I need to find drums and rotors for the little brakes. A set of backing plates would be nice also.
hervegawagon

Return to General Discussion