Trying to trace down original owner of my car - Need help

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Trying to trace down original owner of my car - Need help

Postby mahoy78spyder » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:21 pm

Hey all,

As I begin the restoration of my Spyder here soon, it got me thinking about the first time I restored it and was able to show it to the original owner at a local 50's drive-in in Indianapolis. The day he bought the car and his name are still on a sticker on my dashboard using one of those old embossing sticky tapes (can't remember the proper name for this stuff). I'll post a pic of the sticker later: says "John McBride 05/05/78". I've long since lost contact with him, and wondered if there was anyone here on this forum who was "really good" at tracking people down. The original owner's name was John McBride and lived and worked in Indianapolis "at least" until the late 80's when I saw him last. His place of employment (and retirement) was Allison's Transmission (formerly referred to as Detroit Diesel - Allison). He had an actual Indianapolis address, but there are many John McBride's unfortunately. Does anyone know any good trick to finding someone like this?
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

1978 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Re: Trying to trace down original owner of my car - Need hel

Postby mahoy78spyder » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Forgot to add, John would be around 70 years old now, if that helps. I'll look for all the original paperwork on the car to see if I can find his old address at the time when I purchased the car from him in 1985, and perhaps a middle initial as well, which I'm sure would help.

Any help anyone can provide would be great!
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

Postby mahoy78spyder » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:06 am

Ok... it's almost 3am and I "finally" found all my old documentation on the car and the original owner. John McBride's middle initial was "M" (John M. McBride) and his address at the time of purchase in 1978 was 2435 Mayhew Dr. Indianapolis, IN 46227.

Why I stayed up this late to find this is beyond me... I'd just REALLY like to find this guy again. :th:

'Night all!
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:12 am

I got a line on the original owner of my car 2 years ago. Just a name from a car show. I tirelessly searched google and facebook and the whitepages until I narrowed down the search...

Got the nerve up and made a phone call and interviewed her..

Indeed She:

Bought a Monza in 1978 :)

From the same dealership mine came from... :D

Yes it was Red :o

Yes it was a V8 :shock:

Yes it was a 4speed :mrgreen:

Spyder decals??? Sorry it didn't have any spider decals... :? :?

So I figure after 30+ years, she's just forgotten, but on sight she may recognize the car... :wink:

So I get up the nerve, drive over and knock on the door... She answers, and says nope.. "didn't look anything like that" I describe a round headlight car and she agree's with that.

So I found the owner of a rare (plane jane with V8) monza from the same dealership and everything, but no cigar!

:bang: :bang: :bang:
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:50 pm

Ken Have you tried something as simple as this? http://www.whitepages.com/?site_id=1486 ... road+match or this part of that site? http://www.whitepages.com/reverse_address I ran the address and the name didn't match, but you can play with it and maybe stumble onto it, you never know. Good Luck Ken, Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby ol55 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:26 pm

Dymo tape label maker?

Good Luck!

Larry
'73 Vega GT Hatchback hot rod.
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Postby mahoy78spyder » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:24 am

Hey thanks for the replies... sorry for my late reply.. .been a hectic holiday weekend.

@Marco - yes, I did that very thing year ago and cold-called every John McBride that I could find in the whitepages. No luck... even found a widow who's husband had passed away (and no, it wasn't "the" John McBride I was looking for) and I felt really bad for bothering her because I could tell it must've been a recent passing. :(

@Harry - thanks... I tried his name and address using those tools and came up short as well. Address is just too old, but even searching his name with the middle initial of "M" comes up with nothing. I do remember him being a chain smoker who was older than my Dad (my Dad is now 72) so it is very possible he may have passed on but until I know for sure, I'll keep searching.

@Harry (ole55) - YES!!! Dymo Tape!.. That's what I was trying to think of.... used to use it on all my notebooks as a kid, and label things around the house. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Mahoy
'78 C06 Monza Spyder
mahoy78spyder

Return to General Discussion