have a cooling question

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: have a cooling question

Postby wheeeedr1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:18 pm

thats funny, thats the fan i have, now looking for a stock fan out of a v8 monza, anyone got one they want ot sell, will be looking for a shroud, thanks
wheeeedr1

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Exactly how hot is the engine getting? Many people overreact to the temperature once it hits that magical 200 degree mark. It's is not to be unexpected that the temperature is going to rise while idling. The question is how hot is it getting? It is also important to get a accurate reading as many factory gauges may not be that exact, especially if the coolant sensor has been changed from the original one. There are quite a few things that can be done to help maintain a acceptable temperature but first off you need to be sure you actually have a issue. I will copy some tips that I wrote a while back:

There have been tons of tips over the years on cooling. There really should not be any issue with cooling while driving above 30 mph or so. Start with the basics, a good radiator ( I highly recommend an aluminum), proper molded hoses, a good mechanical fan with a shroud, make sure your cooling system is full of no more than a 50% solution of antifreeze along with a bottle or two of Redline WatterWetter, make sure your overflow system is connected and you have a proper radiator cap. Thermostats are always a controversy, I believe in running one since millions of cars use them and they don't overheat. An auxiliary electric fan is always a plus and adding some sheetmetal ducting in between the grille and radiator to direct all of the airflow through the radiator is a good idea. That will vary by make and model, but I added some simple sheets to help direct the air to the radiator and it did help. Also run a good air dam under the front grille area to create a low pressure area under the car as well as behind the radiator which will help promote air flow. That's pretty much the basics, after that you are looking at tuning the engine for the correct A/F ratio and ignition timing which can help. Try running full manifold vacuum and see if that helps your situation since all engines are different. Doing all of this should help with 90% of any cooling issues. Granted the temp may still rise if you are stuck in traffic or God forbid, you are in a parade. There will always be a bit of an issue because of packaging, it's a small engine compartment with a relatively small radiator, but these things should keep you out of danger."
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby rhyolite » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:40 pm

About coolant, anti freeze, etc etc.
Watched wheelers dealers recently, saw Ed China put this stuff in a old Alfa Spider.

http://www.evanscoolants.com/

Any thoughts on that? Think its sweet it doesn't expand like normal coolant when getting hot. Sounds like the way to go on a stock 140 engine. Although if it does get in the cylinders, one way or the other, what damage does it do?
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre SJ Safari wagon
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
- 1993 Jeep chief Cherokee XJ
- 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Y87 V6 3.8
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Postby wheeeedr1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:32 pm

i like that show. i found a shroud and bought it, now just waiting for it, also gonna put in a new water pump (high flow) one. i am also gonna block my by-pass on the water pump and drill 2 holes in the thermostat. will let you know if all this works, thanks for all the help.
wheeeedr1

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Previous

Return to General Discussion