Hi guys, new member here.

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Hi guys, new member here.

Postby Lunatic » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:51 pm

Hello fellow members.
My name is Shayne. I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada and although I'm new to this forum, I'm not new to H bodies. I've had several over the years and it's been a long time since I last owned one. However, I stumbled upon a 78 Oldsmobile Starfire and I just had to have it. It's from Georgia and I found it at a body shop in Breslau, Ontario, Canada. I pretty much got it as you see it pictured here. No interior, engine , transmission, tail lights, etc. It was a V6, auto and A/C car. Too bad I don't have any A/C brackets, etc. I'll save the story of how I found it for a later time. Now, it's very solid, not pretty at all and it's only a rolling chassis. It had an aftermarket sunroof installed and the left rear quarted was damaged at one time. Notice all the drill holes in the quarted panel? And the flywheel used as a steering wheel? Nice. I did cut up a 79 Spyder recently so I have a nice stock roof and quarter that I'll graft over sometime soon. I just quickly installed S10 spindles and axles so I could roll the car onto the trailer seeing as we moved. Here's a picture of the car the way it sits as of today. Like I said, not pretty but it's mine. I will be looking for parts and I also have a few parts that I know I'll not be using. I'll keep checking out this forum and following many threads as there seems to be so much talent here! I'm just finishing off a Fiero that I've swapped an Ecotec driveline into. Then I'll be looking into the Starfire. Until then, take care my cyber friends.
Last edited by Lunatic on Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lunatic

Re: Hi guys, new member here.

Postby rpoz-29 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:54 pm

Welcome......do you need another sunroof? Oops, re-read your post. I only asked because I saved a factory sunroof,(and most of the associated hardware), from a Starfire years ago. Yours, (or anyone else for that matter), for the cost of shipping. Welcome, regardless!
rpoz-29

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:11 pm

Did you by chance own a white monza with red stripes in about 1994?
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Lunatic » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:43 pm

rpoz-29 wrote:Welcome......do you need another sunroof? Oops, re-read your post. I only asked because I saved a factory sunroof,(and most of the associated hardware), from a Starfire years ago. Yours, (or anyone else for that matter), for the cost of shipping. Welcome, regardless!

I'd take you up on that factory sunroof in a heartbeat, provided my was factory. I just don't think a sunroof looks that appealing in an H-body. No offense to those that have one! That's just my personal opinion.

marco_1978_spyder wrote:Did you by chance own a white monza with red stripes in about 1994?

Sorry Marco, I didn't own that car that you had mentioned. I probably had seven or eight over the years but none that matched your desription.
Lunatic

Postby cosvega76 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 am

Welcome, Shayne!

Good luck with your project, there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Do you have any photos of the Fiero Ecotec swap?

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Welcome to the best source of H body knowledge. Looks like a solid car which is a great start. A flywheel for a steering wheel? Ouch, that has to be rough on the hands :lol:
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby rhyolite » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:16 pm

He's probably wearing these Clyde ;)

:dance:
The dutcH-bodies
- 1974 Vega hatchback
- 1975 Astre SJ Safari wagon
- 1975 Astre hatchback

- 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ
- 1993 Jeep chief Cherokee XJ
- 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Y87 V6 3.8
rhyolite

1975 Pontiac Astre

Postby Lunatic » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:46 am

cosvega76 wrote:Welcome, Shayne!

Chuck

Hey Chuck, thanks for the welcome. I had a few H-bodies in my time. This was before the internet and cool forums such as this one. When someone did something interesting to their car, they couldn't share it with the world. Now, we can share our stories easily from around the globe. So, I'll be sure to find lots of knowledge and cool builds here. Now, I hope this isn't against the forum rules, but if you'd like to check out my Ecotec Fiero build, --> http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094237.html It's not quite finished and it was a turd when I first got it. Kind of like everything I seem to buy. Lol.

cjbiagi wrote:Welcome to the best source of H body knowledge. Looks like a solid car which is a great start. A flywheel for a steering wheel? Ouch, that has to be rough on the hands :lol:

Again, thanks for the welcome. While the car is ugly, it is solid and it's a good platform to start with. Right now I'm not sure which driveline I'm going to use. So many options. Now, I also have a 98 Firebird with the LS1 and I think perhaps an LS1 in my lighter Starfire, with the manual transmission of course, would be ideal. We'll see what happens. The custom flexplate steering wheel was on the car when I first bought it. I thought it was a joke too. And yes, I had to put rags on it so as not to hurt my dish-pan-hands!

Rhyolite, I think those pink mittens would go nice with some fuzzy bunny slippers!
Lunatic

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:55 pm

Lunatic wrote:
cosvega76 wrote:Welcome, Shayne!

Chuck

Hey Chuck, thanks for the welcome. I had a few H-bodies in my time. This was before the internet and cool forums such as this one. When someone did something interesting to their car, they couldn't share it with the world. Now, we can share our stories easily from around the globe. So, I'll be sure to find lots of knowledge and cool builds here. Now, I hope this isn't against the forum rules, but if you'd like to check out my Ecotec Fiero build, --> http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094237.html It's not quite finished and it was a turd when I first got it. Kind of like everything I seem to buy. Lol.

Shayne,

All I can say is, WOW! That's quite an ambitious project you've got going there! I'll have to check in time and again to see how it progresses. After that, I'll be interested to see what you do with the Starfire if you decide to install that LS1.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby zeke » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:13 pm

Welcome to H-Body neighbour! :D
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 76wagon » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:25 am

Good to see another member from Kitchener. Looks like a solid car to start from, and judging by that Fiero thread I'm guessing it's gonna be really sweet when it's done. Loving all those laser cut parts on that build, think I'm gonna start getting on my boss to get one of those bad boys for the shop... (yeah right!)

Phill
76wagon

Postby vegastre » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:07 pm

Loving all those laser cut parts on that build

If you like to design and fabricate parts out of nothing then believe me you have found the right forum.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby Lunatic » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Shayne,

All I can say is, WOW! That's quite an ambitious project you've got going there! I'll have to check in time and again to see how it progresses. After that, I'll be interested to see what you do with the Starfire if you decide to install that LS1.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Indeed, it's perhaps a little ambitious but I kind of knew where all the parts were to pull it off so that helped.

zeke wrote:Welcome to H-Body neighbour! :D

Thank you for the welcome Zeke. I look forward to meeting you.

76wagon wrote:Good to see another member from Kitchener. Looks like a solid car to start from, and judging by that Fiero thread I'm guessing it's gonna be really sweet when it's done. Loving all those laser cut parts on that build, think I'm gonna start getting on my boss to get one of those bad boys for the shop... (yeah right!)

Phill

Hi Phill. Wow, you're right in my own back yard! I'd like to meet you and your car sometime. Perhaps I'll bring some beverages and we can talk H-body (no relation to Klingon) sometime in the near future. The Fiero should be fun to drive, until the Starfire gets done. Now, I also have an older sportbike (93 GSXR 1100) and a 98 Formula Firebird that I drive. So it makes seat time fun. And yes, laser cut parts are real easy for me to make. I draw up what I want in CAD, nest it on the software at work, burn on the laser! For me, long gone is the old school way -> cut it with a torch, or plasma, heat it in a vice to bend it, etc. CNC all the way for me. Since my Fiero build, I've had several people ask for stuff. It appears as though there's a market for what I make. We make truck accessories at my work and all the material I use for my projects is saved from the scrap pile! Free material and free laser time. All I have to do is invest some time. Tell your Boss he needs a laser! Lol. I'll even help with the training.

vegastre wrote:
Loving all those laser cut parts on that build

If you like to design and fabricate parts out of nothing then believe me you have found the right forum.

Thanks fella. I really enjoy designing and building things. Especially odd-ball stuff. I've had a V6 and V8 Chevette, V8 Pinto, and a few other "under dogs" if you will. I've always loved Monzas since the day I first seen one. Now, I need a little guidance as to what I want my Starfire to do for me. I have all the stuff for a traditional SBC swap but that's too much of what I've driven all my life. Ideally I'd like an all aluminum engine, fuel injection and a manual transmission. I do have a few Northstar V8's in the garage and a Porsche transaxle. I thought of doing a mid-engine H body. Now, I had that Northstar and a Getrag manual transmission in my VW Golf last year so I'm not sure if I want to scrap the Golf and install that set-up, with the Porsche transxle in the Starfire. Ideas, ideas.
Lunatic

Postby 76wagon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:15 am

I'm always down for beverages and car talk, let me know when you're free. I don't think a CNC laser is in my future though :( but there is talk of a 3-axis CNC mill making its way into the shop which would be pretty sweet.

At my last job I had to wait forever on engineers to figure out what they actually wanted me to build, leaving me with free reign in the machine shop to make whatever I wanted on company time- made a few parts for the car there. Wonder why that place went under.....

Phill
76wagon

Return to General Discussion