Smog pump question

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Smog pump question

Postby 76wagon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Planning on putting an electric smog pump on the car (stupid emissions laws) and wondering when it should be running. I always thought they were only needed until the engine gets up to temperature, is that correct?

Before anyone asks- yes I do need it on the car, I've gotten that ticket before :cuss:

Thanks,
Phill
76wagon

Re: Smog pump question

Postby zeke » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:02 pm

Never heard of that one before. Car is too old for e-testing I thought?
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 76wagon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:17 am

If the car came with it you have to have it unless you put in a newer engine, then you have to have whatever that engine came with. I figure it's better to have everything just in case- my ticket was about $400 and he only charged me for missing one piece of emissions equipment, could have charged me for every piece I was missing at $300 each.

The loophole is that crate engines come with no emissions junk. That'll be my story next time but just in case I'd like to have what I'm supposed to have. I'll post a link to the rules when I find them.

Phill
76wagon

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:55 am

Phill you shouldn't need that pump, if the pump isn't available from the dealer anymore. I am willing to bet that a Vega A.I.R. pump is long discontinued. You may have to use a little judicious grinding to conceal your engines true vintage, as in that case I believe the law then reverts to the body's requirements. If you are concerned about the MOE enforcement division in your area, you should really consult a lawyer as the Highway Traffic Act is written to be somewhat ambiguous on propose to allow officer interpretation to suit themselves and I :arrow: am also sure the MOE is the same. Keep us posted! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 76wagon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:19 am

Good call Harry, kinda forgot about that. The cop told me if I had a letter from the dealer saying the part was discontinued I didn't need it. Guess I'll get that for now but I'd rather be safe than sorry and install what I can in case I run into a cop that's having a bad day or really hates Vegas....

Phill
76wagon

Return to General Discussion