New Member From Ohio! ('78 Starfire)

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

New Member From Ohio! ('78 Starfire)

Postby Keegan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:29 pm

Hey, everybody!

I'm new here, obviously. I bought my '78 Starfire SX about a month ago for a college car. You see, my other daily is a '72 Cutlass Supreme (I'm a big Olds guy). I just couldn't drive 30 miles to school every day in a car that gets 9MPG, so I needed something new. I needed another Olds! So far, I've loved every minute of owning it. It took a little work to get it back on the road. The car hadn't been driven for a long time, and with just under 30k on the odometer, I figured it'd be a great chance to bring it out of its slumber!
The big reason I'm here is because I've reached a bit of a rut. I'm on another forum (ClassicOldsmobile), and the guys there have been amazing with helping me and my restoration of the Cutlass. So, here's to hoping this is a welcoming community as well! Last week, my Dad and I decided to look into a significant antifreeze leak I found after school. After pumping air into the radiator, we found out that the radiator was shot. I haven't had much luck finding a new one, and one of the places we took it to was unable to repair it (or so they say) and offered to re-core it for $325. Now, I understand that these brass and copper radiators aren't common, but that's outrageous. Fortunately, I found a radiator shop near my school who may be able to repair it. My dad is a professional mechanic, and we've pretty much exhausted our efforts in finding an affordable one. I'm not paying $300 for a new one.
I haven't scoured the site enough yet to see if there is a "Classifieds" section yet, but if anyone has a radiator, I might be interested! Oh, and that swivel-cover for the hatch lock? That was lost the same day...somewhere out on I-77. Really sucks. So I'm looking for one of those, too! I'll put a few pics of the car here. Thanks! :th:
Keegan

1978 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Re: New Member From Ohio! ('78 Starfire)

Postby Diesel Dan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:42 pm

Welcome!
I don't have any parts to offer but I'm a relatively new NE Ohio member as well.
In fact your car was one of several I was considering in my quest. Came from around Cleveland didn't it?
Wish I had the manuals and window sticker you do, I like the factory A/C as well.
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby Keegan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:48 pm

Diesel Dan wrote:Welcome!
I don't have any parts to offer but I'm a relatively new NE Ohio member as well.
In fact your car was one of several I was considering in my quest. Came from around Cleveland didn't it?
Wish I had the manuals and window sticker you do, I like the factory A/C as well.

Yes sir, drove up and trailered it home! Brakes were shot, haha. I was really happy it came with all the original documentation. I even had the original title! (the BMV stole it from me, but I had em make a copy of it beforehand). I also had the build sheet laminated the next day. :)
Keegan

Postby Diesel Dan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:29 am

Too bad the original owner couldn't have applied for a lost title so the original could have been saved.
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby hammerdown7 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Welcome, looks like a solid car. Lots of help on this sight, I'm sure someone can give you some idea on the parts availability.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby classic_cruiser » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:58 pm

Welcome!

O'reilly's lists a replacement radiator with plastic tanks for $120, not sure if anyone here has experience with it installed:

Murray Heat Transfer - Radiator

Part Number: 433162

Line: MHT
limited lifetime warranty
• UPC: 36666939019
•With Or Without Air Conditioning
•26-3/8 Inch Wide Core
•With Heavy Duty Cooling
•With Maximum Cooling
•Construction: Plastic Tank/Aluminum Core

I think besides a Griffin, or finding a good used one, there aren't may options out there. There are some non-AC ones on rockauto.com. I've heard a couple other makes like a 2.5L chevy S-10 radiator from up to 2001 might fit, but I do not know how accurate this info. is.

Terry
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby Keegan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome and guidance, everyone! I'm hoping this shop will be able to get flow in mine today. They seemed confident!
Keegan

Postby olds70supreme » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Nice looking ride, there are a few other Olds guys on this site.
olds70supreme

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire

Postby Keegan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:24 pm

olds70supreme wrote:Nice looking ride, there are a few other Olds guys on this site.

That's what I like to hear! I'm really happy to be working on another. :mrgreen:
Keegan

Postby zzip » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:26 pm

st time a see an Olds with quad lamps .
In Belgium, i never see it .

Welcome and have a nice ... drive

Peter from antwerp
1988 Monza L4 2.5L
1989 Monza Spyder L4 2.5L
1990 Monza Spyder V6 3.2L
1991 Monza Spyder V6 3.8L
2013 Monza V6 3.8L
2014 Starfire V6 3.8L
zzip

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby starfire » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:28 pm

I had mine recored a couple months ago.it was $300. You won't find a new one. The shop that recored mine did a great job with it and my car runs a perfect 195 degrees with it.

Welcome to the site. These guys know what they are talking about. You can get lots of help here.

Your Starfire looks very nice.
Alan

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Convertible
1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

"Starfire, the Oldsmobile you didn't expect"
starfire

1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

Postby IMSA Monza » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Keegan, I have a 1975 Starfire that Im stripping down. I have a radiator but it is for a V6.There are no leaks and the temp doesn't go over 190. I haven't drivin it that much. Its a doner car for a street car Im building. Don't know if it will work. Also this page goes black when I try to respond.Im typing in the dark.
IMSA Monza

Postby Keegan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:40 pm

IMSA Monza wrote:Keegan, I have a 1975 Starfire that Im stripping down. I have a radiator but it is for a V6.There are no leaks and the temp doesn't go over 190. I haven't drivin it that much. Its a doner car for a street car Im building. Don't know if it will work. Also this page goes black when I try to respond.Im typing in the dark.

The radiator shop on my campus was actually able to fix it! Thanks for the offer, though.
Keegan

Postby OldsStarfire » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi Keegan & welcome!

I have some Starfire parts & might be able to help you find what you need. email me off list: jlantonucci at comcast dot net

I just bought my son his first car - a 2001 Olds Aurora - I wanted his first car to have airbags and this has 4 of them :dance:

Were an Oldsmobile family too.

Jeff
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Return to General Discussion