Hatch Adjustment?

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Hatch Adjustment?

Postby BBM66 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:30 pm

How's it goin fellas? Here I am, nearing completion of my project and BAM! A huge snag. I had to replace the hatch that was on my Vega because of major rust issues. Mind you, I got the replacement hatch, did the bodywork and paint and THEN tried to fit it. Let this be a lesson to test fit EVERYTHING, but I digress.
So here's the problem: The hatch will not close all the way down at the back of the car and appears to be bumping the back tailight panel and is hanging a little too far off the back as well. The top or front of the hatch at the hinges appears to be properly positioned and looks to have proper spacing. The spacing on both sides is more or less equal with a bit of twisting. So, several thoughts come to mind. The hatch is bent or out of shape somehow. The mounts on the car are bent or out of shape. Different year hatch, (I believe its off a 71 and my car is a 73) is not a match, although they should be. Lastly, I'm fearful that the back tailight body panel is pushed in, changing the dimensions of the hatch opening, but if that's the case, why did the hatch I replaced fit so well and open and close without any trouble?
Is there any way to adjust the hatch, mounts, lock mechanism? Would the hatch props or positioning of those rods have any effect on this...I really can;t see how, but I'm asking anyway.
Also, if anyone has any dimensions of the hatch area so that I can compare mine to it, that would be a huge help. Particularly, any measurements from the hinge to the tailight panel, diagonal measurements and vertical numbers. Anything would help to see if my opening is correct and if not, where it needs to be corrected.
Man, I hate to think that back panel is pushed in and all that body work has been wasted because it's gonna have to be pulled out. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Frustration is a nice way of saying this: (*&^&%%#@%$^&(!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys
The Fleet:
1963 Chevrolet Impala-Miss Jean Marie
1973 Vega Hatchback
1995 Honda Civic
1965 Chevy C-10 Pickup
2004 F-350 Super Duty
BBM66

Re: Hatch Adjustment?

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:08 am

I am not sure what the process is when they build the cars but obviously the hatch and body hinges are both welded on and as a result they must have had some way to get things lined up before welding. So, I assume the hatch and body are kind of a matched set? The latch mechanism is adjustable but that is not going to help align it with the body, just change how much pressure it takes to close it. I don't see any way to adjust the hatch on the body other than changing the position of the hinges on the hatch or body. I know that is not good news, if it's only off a small amount you could probably tweak the hatch but that can be risky with the glass in it. Maybe someone else has a solution but I don't see any other way to adjust it.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby gt350fme » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:23 pm

My 73 hatchback has had a rough life, and my back hatch had a poor fit also which was worse after all the spot welded seams were welded up back there, fortunately the sheet metal on these cars can be worked back to make a reasonable fit BUT must be done before paint as you have found out, that rear light panel and the hatch seat where the hatch seal goes on the body can be manipulated up down back forward to some degree to get things back in shape to make the hatch fit, also make sure the hatch seal is place when making hatch fitment adjustments or that too will be off when it is installed later.
I thought at first I couldn't get it right but with time I figured it out and the hatch seal seals all the way around now and the body seams are exceptable.
You can do it, good luck

Oh and be careful when loading the hatch spring, if it gets away from your bar before it loads into that grove, it will make a nice nipple sticking up on the painted top side of the hatch creating more body work, which I will have to redo someday :bang:

GT
1964 Chevy panel K30
1973 GT Vega Hatchback
1977 Chevy K20
1984 944 porsche
1992 Lexus SC 400
gt350fme

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby BBM66 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Appreciate the comments. After my partner cut me down from the tree, we discussed what to do. We have decided to attempt to push and manipulate the rear panel back into place using a Porter hydraulic cylinder and manipulate that panel slowly, starting from the latch and moving along the drivers side, hopefully moving it enough to make it work. It appears that the drivers side of that panel has been hit at some point in it's life and pushed forward. At worst, we may have to drill out that panel from the top and force it back, but hopefully we can avoid that, Ill keep you posted. Thanks again guys.
The Fleet:
1963 Chevrolet Impala-Miss Jean Marie
1973 Vega Hatchback
1995 Honda Civic
1965 Chevy C-10 Pickup
2004 F-350 Super Duty
BBM66

Return to General Discussion