Need help identifying alt bracket--Updated!!

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Need help identifying alt bracket

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:57 am

sugaryuk wrote:I ordered a new one from SpeedShop, so far they haven't sent me an out-of-stock notice, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it shows up. My Vega's a "show car" build so I didn't want to mickey mouse it back together, unfortunately I don't have the tools (or skill!) to repair it properly.

I get you on the repair, if you can't do it yourself it would cost more to fix than buy a new one. Mega has a pretty good idea if the purchase plan falls through, and if the new one shows up, swap meet the old one or at least eBay it, some one else may need it for parts to fix their broken one. You could also trade the repair for some thing in your skill set as another idea for your part, Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby sugaryuk » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:23 am

Aw crap! Got the dreaded "sorry item not in stock" from SuperSport today. Spent hours scouring the net and managed (hopefully) to track down a potential supplier-- off Amazon from a site called "Shop Eddies". They list a Zoops bracket kit for a ZZ4 engine which looks like it utilizes some of the same parts as mine. Put my order in and crossed my fingers that they actually have it in stock. Hoping to get a few more drives in before packing it in for the winter!
Last edited by sugaryuk on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sugaryuk

Postby Smiley » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:52 am

are you running early undrilled heads ? It looks like you have the bracket bolted to a plate instead of the head.
Smiley

Postby sugaryuk » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:03 pm

The heads are drilled but the T-stsat housing doesn't leave enough room for a typical rod-bolt to fit and on the bottom, the motor mount doesn't give enough clearance to bolt up most brackets, this is why previous owner made a custom plate and used 2 different bracket kits to make it work.
sugaryuk

Postby megavega » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:36 pm

unbolt the bracket, its 2pcs and have the part thats broken made from a chunk of 6061 aluminum, can be made fairly simple on a bridgeport mill, all you have to do is polish it and put it back on, problem solved.
1972 hatchback, 28,000 orig miles, 427BBC/twin T4 turbo's/T56 six speed/big wheels, lowered down pro touring style-work in progress....

1973 vega wagon-under the blue flame knife.
megavega

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby sugaryuk » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:19 pm

Unfortunately I don't have any millwright friends and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be getting it for less than a couple hundred up here. How much would a shop down there charge to mill something like this?
sugaryuk

Postby Smiley » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Do you have room to run the alternator on the passenger side ?
Smiley

Postby sugaryuk » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:39 am

The NOX/race gas plumbing would interfere on the pax side, so driver's side is the easier route to take.
sugaryuk

Postby Smiley » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:03 am

Billet Specialties # 10420 might work, the tension adjustment is part of the bracket so you don't need the other piece.
$135 from summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsp-10420

Smiley

Postby sugaryuk » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks! That one might actually be an option...it looks like it should clear the rad hose. Here's a pic of the engine: Image

I've already ordered that ZZ4 kit, if it doesn't work out, looks like this might be my next option...Thanks!!
Last edited by sugaryuk on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sugaryuk

Postby sugaryuk » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:58 pm

Package from Amazon finally arrived today and.........
DSC05758.JPG

looks like it's a perfect match!! :th: Finally something going right for a change! The kit came with lots of extra shiny things so I might try and see if I can make some of them work on my other brackets. Here's a pic of the kit, part Zoops #8015, ordered from a shop called "Shop Eddies" on Amazon. It looks like most stores are asking $275-$355 for it....I paid $135!
DSC05757.JPG

DSC05755.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sugaryuk

Re: Need help identifying alt bracket--Updated!!

Postby chevyart » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:55 am

hey sugar glad you found a part. one thing i noticed is that the new bracket(next to broken one) looks very thin where the radius cut is. old one seemed to have more aluminum left in this area. just looks that way to me. art
chevyart

Re: Need help identifying alt bracket--Updated!!

Postby sugaryuk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:45 pm

chevyart wrote:hey sugar glad you found a part. one thing i noticed is that the new bracket(next to broken one) looks very thin where the radius cut is. old one seemed to have more aluminum left in this area. just looks that way to me. art

It looks that way because it is-- it's less than 1/2 of what the original was. I hoping that it will suffice, I really can't imagine how the first one broke-- there really shouldn't be that much stress at that point. I'm thinking maybe someone may of used a pry-bar against the old one or it had a crappy cast. If it breaks I still have an extra one in the set, although its a bit larger and will require some modding to fit.
sugaryuk

Previous

Return to General Discussion