79 Monza Fuel Sender

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

79 Monza Fuel Sender

Postby watpress » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:51 pm

I just picked up a 79 Spyder with a 350. It was initially set up to race and now I want to bring it back to the street. Problem is the previous owner stripped out and threw away lots of parts, so now I'm searching. The first thing I'm wondering about is if anyone has had any luck finding a compatible fuel sender for these cars. I notice that it has a three prong plug on top the sender while other senders appear to have two connections. Can a two connection sender be used with the Monza fuel gauge and three prong plug?

As well, what other cars in GM's lineup would have had compatible parts with the Monza of those years - Malibu maybe? For instance I'm looking for a wiper transmission that would fit.

I'm just starting out so any help/advice is certainly welcome!
watpress

Re: 79 Monza Fuel Sender

Postby monza4me » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:28 am

If reliability, performance , cost trumps originality, then use this:

Equus Fuel Tank Level Senders 9982 0-90 ohms, 5 in. to 23 in. Tank Depth, Lever Style http://www.summitracing.com/parts/equ-9982/overview/
Install in a new separate hole, single wire hookup [tan sender line, the other 2 are positive power to in tank fuel pump and Chassis ground] plus you can ditch all the BS in the hanger assembly leaving just a clean fuel pump and strainer on the stock hanger. At 19$ , a bulletproof solution which leaves the 70's back where they should be laid to rest.
monza4me

Postby watpress » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:39 am

Just so I understand this. The one wire in the plug is a positive for an in-tank electric fuel pump. I currently have a 350 with mechanical fuel pump so that wire really means nothing, right?

Just curious, did these cars come with an in-tank electric fuel pump?

Will the Equus fuel sender work with the factory gauge?

Thanks, I certainly appreciate the help!
watpress

Postby monza4me » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:51 am

Just so I understand this. The one wire in the plug is a positive for an in-tank electric fuel pump. I currently have a 350 with mechanical fuel pump so that wire really means nothing, right?
*The original blue line denoted #1 of 3 is positive power that from the factory was routed through an oil pressure switch which in theory prevented the electric in tank pump from operating in the absence of oil pressure. Most likely long since gone from your current setup, check to make sure its not active. The black wire 2 of 3 should be connected to GRD near the hatch release mechanism. the Tan wire 3 of 3 should go directly to the fuel gauge.

Just curious, did these cars come with an in-tank electric fuel pump? yes and the hanger makes an upgrade to a modern TBI or EFI pump nice and easy

Will the Equus fuel sender work with the factory gauge? yes, All GM applications 10 ohms empty 90 ohms full
monza4me

Return to General Discussion