Bumper Cover Colors

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Bumper Cover Colors

Postby starfire » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:54 pm

I originally put this question under "Bodywork" but after getting no replies, thought I would ask it in this forum as well.

Does anyone know of a rattle can color that is real close to the original red on the bumper covers of my 1978 Firenza in both color and gloss?

How about the black?

Thanks,
Alan

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Convertible
1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

"Starfire, the Oldsmobile you didn't expect"
starfire

Re: Bumper Cover Colors

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:42 pm

Was there an Oldsmobile Product Description Manual? And does anyone have one? It should give some details.

Was the red painted on? If so then you'd think they'd have used what they had hanging around, that being the red #75.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:22 pm

I have bought the "Bumper and Trim" paint it is a semi/satin black (kind of in between or it is supposed to be) for the Monza, Alan I will let you know when I paint it. That will be next year, looking for storage right now. I am sorry I can't help with the red. :( Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby starfire » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:38 pm

marco_1978_spyder wrote:Was there an Oldsmobile Product Description Manual? And does anyone have one? It should give some details.

Was the red painted on? If so then you'd think they'd have used what they had hanging around, that being the red #75.

Well I've got copies of all the pages for the 1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Product Description Manual that they have at the GM Heritage Center (or at least all that they have located), and unfortunately, the pages I need that have the bumper colors on them are 14A1-3 and 14A2-2 and those are both missing :bang: . There appears to be many other missing pages as well, and I made sure to get copies of some of the Chevy/Buick/Pontiac pages that I thought might come in handy, but those two are the one's I really need, and of course, they are missing. If anyone our there has those two pages that would be amazing. What I was hoping was that someone might know a Krylon or Duplicolor spray can color that is close to original. I'm assuming that my bumper covers are faded and, as I've mentioned before, I'm a little color deficient, and it would be difficult to drag my bumper cover around to different paint shops (although now that I think about it, maybe I could just take it into the local Sherwin-Williams and see what someone behind the counter there has to say about it. I guess even if it is a faded color it would be fresh, and if I used the same color everywhere on the car no one would really know it wasn't correct, and the chance of me ever parking my car next to another one that has the correct color is very low....) I think I may have just talked myself into that one.
Alan

starfire

Postby starfire » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Monza Harry wrote:I have bought the "Bumper and Trim" paint it is a semi/satin black (kind of in between or it is supposed to be) for the Monza, Alan I will let you know when I paint it. That will be next year, looking for storage right now. I am sorry I can't help with the red. :( Harry

Harry, I think I tried the "Bumper and Trim" paint on my wheel well flares and I wasn't happy with the final finish. It seemed too dull. It was hard to tell for sure as they did not have very many smooth surfaces on them. I think I ended up using the Bondo brand Bumper Black and that had a glossier (but not too glossy) finish that worked for me. I suppose that's what I should try first for the black on the bumpers as they should match the flares. Sometimes it really helps to talk things out.
Alan

starfire

Postby Monza Harry » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:28 pm

Hi Alan If you go to a body shop "supply house they have a digital "camera(?)" that they can use with their paint reader for a colour match. I think I would try and match the stripes instead of the bumper, as it appears to me that was the effect from back in the day. I believe I asked for either (both, by those names actually) and when I found a place that knew what I wanted, I took what I could get, after all I figure that cleaning the gun will take almost as long as mask and paint, so I can change my mind again and again. There is a supply house on Eureka near O'Rielly's/Harbor Fake, I haven't been in there though the close before I get done work. Give me a shout if you want. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby starfire » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Hmmm, well the upper bumper cover has a piece of the stripe on it, and it is only attached with two bolts at this point, so I suppose I could take that in too. I think my local Sherwin Williams store has a computer color matching system too, although someone with a lot of experience and a good eye for color can mix it as well as the computer can.
Alan

starfire

Postby Biscayne John » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:23 pm

If it was painted on at the factory it must be listed on a paint chip chart somewhere I would think? If the car were in a collision back in the day the body shop would just call it in. Try looking here, I found the formulas for dash paint on these charts, there was no chip just a listing on the back page with a formula so it might take some looking cause they tend to hide these things, best of luck
http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/

I would just pick up the smallest amount you can get and use one of those Preval spayers that you see in hobby shops or hardware stores. I just shot a set of rims for my 53 Chevy using Centari and a Preval, (FYI by the way Centari will be a thing of the past soon) worked fine
John Mahoney
Long Island NY/Ocala FL
AACA
VCCA
CVOA
BCA
The Fleet
1954 Chevrolet BelAir sPort Coupe
1960 Chevrolet Impala 2 door Sport Coupe 348/340HP (AACA Grand National Winner)
1962 Chevrolet Impala 2 door Sport Coupe 409/409HP(the last one to do)
1962 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door Sedan 327 Auto (AACA Grand National Winner)
1977 Monza Mirage 4 speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon (was my mother in laws since new 42K miles)
2011 28' Bendron Titan Enclosed Trailer; what they travel in when we go
2018 GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel Crew Cab; how we get them there without sweating
2015 Cadillac CTS
Biscayne John

Postby starfire » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:03 pm

OK, John, now I feel really stupid. :mrgreen: I actually have that document that is in your link. Right there on it, if I had bothered to look at it and read it, Striping Colors, Paint Code R, Color Name Red, GMAD Code 75, Ditzler Code 72128. I guess that should allow me to get a pint or so of it made up. Thanks for the help!
Alan

starfire

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:18 am

Alan if you have that sample sheet can you P.M. me a better shot, or better yet eMail it to me. it is a little fuzzy in that link and old blind guy can't read it. I want the code for the silver and the black, if I don't like the black I bought I will re-do it. Thanx Harry (and Thanx for posting it in the first place John)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby starfire » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:22 am

I will Harry, but my printer/scanner stopped working yesterday, I hope to get a new one this weekend.
Alan

starfire

Postby starfire » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:28 am

In the meantime:

Striping Colors:

Paint Code: T, Color Name: Silver Poly (poly is Ditzler-speak for metallic), GMAD Code: 15, Ditzler Code: 3076

Paint Code: B, Color Name: Black, GMAD Code: 19, Ditzler Code: 9300
Alan

starfire

Postby Biscayne John » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:55 am

I went through this a long time ago with a 60 Impala looking for the enamel formula for the bumper valances. Back then all of the cars were shot in laquer and the wheels and valances were enamel, less of a shine but more chip resistant. An old paint guy told me if was "shot at the factory it has to be in a book somewhere" Try one of those Preval Sprayers they work real good on small jobs. Maybe he give a ready to shoot pint and save on buying the reducer. The best part of your stripes is they are low so any difference in color will get lost.
If there is a ditzler number there is a cross reference to dupont,and RM. I am getting a gallon of laquer made up for my 60 Impala (I muffed up the side putting it in the trailer) by Hibernia Auto Restoration in New Jersey, a lot of scratch for a scratch! about $800 a gallon. The car still has all of the original laquer and I don't want to do a total repaint
John Mahoney
Long Island NY/Ocala FL
AACA
VCCA
CVOA
BCA
The Fleet
1954 Chevrolet BelAir sPort Coupe
1960 Chevrolet Impala 2 door Sport Coupe 348/340HP (AACA Grand National Winner)
1962 Chevrolet Impala 2 door Sport Coupe 409/409HP(the last one to do)
1962 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door Sedan 327 Auto (AACA Grand National Winner)
1977 Monza Mirage 4 speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon (was my mother in laws since new 42K miles)
2011 28' Bendron Titan Enclosed Trailer; what they travel in when we go
2018 GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel Crew Cab; how we get them there without sweating
2015 Cadillac CTS
Biscayne John

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Thanx Alan, no hurry just glad to have the numbers for reference. I painted the "silver" edges on the "B" pillar vents years ago and they looked better than the faded mess that was there, but it wasn't what I really wanted. What I ended up with by trying to eye ball some wore out paint chips in those old counter books ( you know the 3' long 200# suckers that the counter guy wouldn't let a 21 year old take a page outside to the car to compare) was called "Platinum" back in '83 IIRC it will be nice to have a number this time! :th: Harry
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 79440bird » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:16 pm

This place on groesbeck road has a paint scanner gun that can scan the color an make it in a rattle can. Automotive Color. And I believe Napa can do this too. Doug
79 sunbird 440 chrysler motor indy cyl heads12bolt leaf springs 80 sunbird 3800supercharged everything from a 99 bonneville 75 cosworth 350 dual quads 84 efi vette intake mod for carbs 78 Buick skyhawk 350 buick motor A/C &TA performance intake
79440bird

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Next

Return to General Discussion