Checking for freezer burn..

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Checking for freezer burn..

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:49 pm

After not seeking my car for a short age... I'm going to go check it out today. Not sure if I should start it yet. It's only 27*f. But thats better than the single digits it's been for most of February! Now I know why my car looks so good after all these years... I goes into the freezer for 6 months out of every year. Theoretically my car is only half as old as it's true age. This is... if the door is even open-able. Still too much snow on the ground. probably about 40 to 50 days before the snow is totally gone, the roads have been washed of salt dust with a few rain showers, and the pothole repair begins.

Which is simply too long of a wait.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Re: Checking for freezer burn..

Postby nutt » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:28 pm

Classic car cryogenics....I think you're on to something. :th:
nutt

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:52 pm

Where did you find a "Ziploc" bag big enough for that? Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cammerjeff » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:56 pm

Monza Harry wrote:Where did you find a "Ziploc" bag big enough for that? Harry

Harry they Make them

http://greatinf.en.ec21.com/Inflatable_ ... 47646.html
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:28 pm

Mines actually in a bag. First you make sure the car is dry, put a quality car cover on it and then drive it on to the open bag. I have about 10lbs of desiccant to absorb any moisture that I put throughout the car and then zip it up. Works fantastic..... http://www.carbag.com/
Last edited by cjbiagi on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Sunula66 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:21 pm

Coincidence or what!
Marc, I had to move the Sunbird "house" today (car trailer) and inspect it for road worthiness to a large event I'm attending in March 13,14,15 at the Westerner in Red Deer Alberta! The Electric Garage speed and custom car show and collector car auction. The EG auctions can be looked at on line and is very similar to the Barret Jackson events. Rick and Kelly Dale will be there from American Restorations !
As it turns out, the front right wheel bearing on my 2015 V nosed trailer needs to be replaced. I then changed a tire with another new one, 3rd one now, they are cheap ass imports that the manufacturer put on it in Indiana and I'll replace those this summer with the Carlisle 10 ply ones.
As the tires were all frozen down into the ground several inches, I jacked up the wheels until they broke free and put the mighty GMC into 4X4 and tugged it out and then opened the door and said Hello to a quiet sleeping Birdy....opened the hood, checked the oil and anti-freeze before starting the mouse, and noticed something quite disturbing!! :shock:
:? never had this happen before...as there are other battery's sitting in an unheated shop....my battery in the Sunbird had
completely exploded when it froze! That's right boys and girls, the one end was sticking out 6 inches almost touching the rad and the inards were exposed like an accordion, as well as the fender side end was bowed way out and ready to puke it's bowels as well! :shock: Thankyou NAPA...I'm wondering if it was just a poorly made case, anyway, warranty for a new one is free replacement.
Sooooo,
If you folks get that spring itch like me and Marc, lol, sounds like a communicable ailment that takes place in spring with all living creatures :lol: :oops: ....just don't be too optimistic 'bout firin' up the H and going for a rip before thoroughly checking everthing and all details!..........( Except for you sucky sunworshipers in the deep south! :lol: oops, that was my inside writing voice) :P :lol: 8)

P.S. my car will be driving through on Saturday :cry: ...with a reserve!
"remember... not everything is good on TOAST!"
3 Birds of a Feather...
#1 the Silver '80 W-66 code Formula purchased 9 years ago
#2 red "80 W-66 code Formula purchased Mar./16
#3 black '78-9 coupe with spoiler kit and 4spd 305...parted out to a Terrific H-Buddy
2015 Cruze Turbo Diesel/ Just replaced by the 2016 Sonic
'98 GMC 1/2 ton with corporate 3/4 ton driveline still makin' it all possible
Sunula66

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby zeke » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:23 pm

Hey Ron; Did you pull one battery cable after you parked it? Good idea.

Batteries only freeze and crack when the electrolyte is low in charge. Could be your vehicle has a draw and pulled the voltage down so low it was able to freeze.

Check to see if alternator is charging correctly and for zero draw with car turned off.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Sunula66 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:10 am

Hi Zeke!
I suppose it was too low when I parked it and I always wondered how it would be dead once in a while. I'm thinkin alternator...
I picked up the new battery the other day but won't install it till the car is prepped for the up coming show. The clock hasn't worked for years but I have that new rev limiter box now...hmmm I wonder....oh, and it was unhooked at the positive terminal for a while but I hooked it up a couple of months ago to run it one mild day and left it hooked up! :shock: the likely scenario....
"remember... not everything is good on TOAST!"
3 Birds of a Feather...
#1 the Silver '80 W-66 code Formula purchased 9 years ago
#2 red "80 W-66 code Formula purchased Mar./16
#3 black '78-9 coupe with spoiler kit and 4spd 305...parted out to a Terrific H-Buddy
2015 Cruze Turbo Diesel/ Just replaced by the 2016 Sonic
'98 GMC 1/2 ton with corporate 3/4 ton driveline still makin' it all possible
Sunula66

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Return to General Discussion