Possible new astre owner

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Possible new astre owner

Postby Gutless » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:42 am

Ive got a pretty nice setup RWD l67 in my firebird. Problem is the car is basically shot and I dont want to put any more money into it. Floor to rear lower control arm mounts are starting to rust out, rear fenderwells have slight holes in them and its kinda rough. Car runs 13's, should run 12's with a better converter and e85. Drivetrain is set up great, 4th gens arent really that great to me anymore. I need something older to match my 81 cutlass. Has to be BOP, smallish rwd.

Ive been hunting down a BOP H body but nothing has came up. Found a 76 astre semi-local (in the same state) that im considering looking at. Problem is the rear quarters have some rust and the floors do to. Is the car worth saving? If the rear quarters start going is the whole car shot? I know I should also check out the front window frame to see. What worries me is that its in MN so its either really nice because it got shipped in or really bad because its in MN.

SO its a 76 140 manual car. The drivetrain I want in it is either my l67 out of my firebird or my drawthrough turbo 3.8 out of my cutlass to make way for my SBO 350 with twins project. Leaning heavily toward the l67 though. Apparently everything is there except carpet and the car runs and drives but needs to be towed.

Ive never sat in an H body, seen them at shows rarely but dont really know much about them besides what stuff swaps into them. So is the car worth saving or at least looking at if its 6-8 hours of driving? Market on these is small im guessing. I only ever see parts cars or backhalved drag cars. Rarely see something semi factory in kinda untouched shape which makes it mildly interesting.

Gutless

Re: Possible new astre owner

Postby Gutless » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:47 am

So this belongs in it

Or this, but I am resisting it because the car is set up for it so nice and it pains me to take apart a car that gets 22 MPG, starts every day, and blows 25 degree AC. :D

Gutless

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:12 pm

Polycast wheels
monzaaddict

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:28 pm

monzaaddict wrote:Polycast wheels

beat me to it
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:44 pm

I suppose it comes down to price as that appears to be salvageable, but be aware that there are no new patch panels available for these cars so you would have to search for good used ones (you should have fair to excellent chance here with that, and a surprising amount still shows up on eBay) the problem with the used parts is shipping costs especially if the parts come from Canada to the US or the other way around, or you would have to fab your own. I would do a thorough search of the parts supplied to make sure they are all there and at least do a quick check to insure fitment as there were some changes through out the run that has caused some headaches. Now not to scare you off but there isn't a whole lot of aftermarket support for these cars, and we get lots of I just bought this car and I'm going to.... and in two months the car is for sale. :( If you want something different that comes at a price, usually some money, and some challenge, you would have to decide this upfront as project like this will typically lose money if you bail half way through, and know one wants that! We on this board hope that you find that special car and take it all the way As for your motor swap you are in luck as a member here has recently finished a FWD swap of that motor so here is a "Manual" for the swap.viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39854 That would make an interesting ride that would get up and go, handle well as it is still a light engine package that wouldn't upset the handling much, if at all and would get good econ-box fuel mileage, Your cake and eat it too! Harry P.S. We all hope to welcome you to the "Club"! Good Luck and if that one isn't it for you keep looking the right car will pop up if you are patient and Thanx for posting!
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Kev442 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:18 pm

IMHO being in Wi, I'm pretty sure you will find the lower control arms are pretty well gone in that Astre too. I've bought h bodies from Wi, Il and Maryland and they were all pretty hopeless. I parted them all.

If you are interested in a different car, I have a 78 spyder from Texas with rear subframe connectors in place already, S10 rear axles and a '77 Starfire nose to make it a BOP. Posi rear too.
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

Postby Gutless » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:15 am

Im really looking for a hatch or wagon. The bubble rear glass and notches dont do it for me quite that much, I really want a wagon but this car kinda came up close enough and semi-affordable. This car is listed at $1200, but in my experience a $2500 car with no rust is a better purchase than a $500 with rust.

I do have a good feeling the rear half is rusty. I think its worth a look to check but the more research I do the worse it appears it will be.

All I ever see is people who V8 swap them and think they are sitting on a gold mine, or rusty/wore out cars. Ive pieced my cutlass together from three different cars and I'd rather not do it again.
Gutless

Postby Kev442 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:11 pm

Wow, $1200 seems pretty steep.
$1200 is all I want for my solid Texas roller with decent black interior and people act as if that's high.
Yes, it needs work and paint, but zero welding, which I think is huge with H bodies.
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

Postby Gutless » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:11 pm

Cool, I think $500 is honestly a reasonable offer on the car. If I dont get it for that im not going to complain. The market for these cars is pretty small and the dude was pretty desperate to get rid of it. That is IF it seems repairable.

I did see quarters are available on ebay for vegas and these share quarters so theres that.
Gutless

Postby Gutless » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:00 pm

Heres the rusty parts Vaga that I called on in December. Dude wants it gone and I was stupid enough to say id look at it. Interior is mint but the last thing I need is 2 h bodies haha.

Gutless

Postby Kev442 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:04 pm

You need to inspect these cars underneath. They are notorious for the areas where the LCA's are located for rusting right out of the unibody. If you go through the project journals you will see what some guys have gone through to weld them back up. Here is a picture of my '78 showing where the subframe connectors (which you will also need to go 12's) are hooked up to the LCA's. HTH. (and yes, I know these subframe connectors are not done, I didn't do it!)

Spyder.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

Postby Gutless » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:20 pm

So i looked at it today and I dont own an astre. It wasnt bad, better than I thought, but not fantastic. Had 46,000 miles on it. Interior was real nice, dash, door panels. Seats had a few minor seperations. Both front floor pans needed to be replaced, rear pans and truck was real nice. Lower control arm mount on the drivers side was pretty crusty and same with the bottom part of the rear half of the wheel well. It was definitely save able but it wasnt nice enough to sit on for 2 years for me to start the project.

Search continues for a pontiac wagon!
Gutless

Return to General Discussion