Replacement sheet metal parts.

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Replacement sheet metal parts.

Postby Ckill » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:27 pm

Just had a thought the other day and wondered that since nobody has any new replacement sheet metal for our h-bodies that maybe it might be worth contacting a company like Dynacorn that reproduces body parts and ask if they could or would give consideration to doing parts for our cars. Feedback???

Thinking most common stuff first battery trays front sheet metal floorboards rear deck lids.......?? :D :D
Ckill

Re: Replacement sheet metal parts.

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:21 pm

Projects like this are pretty much a lost cause. Companies are in business to make money and none of them feel that H bodies is a large enough business, and quite frankly I don't blame them. The other issue is many H body people tend to be "frugal" so even if parts are made not enough of us are willing to ante up the dollars. I have been involved with H bodies for 40 years and can honestly say that we are such a small group that going into a venture like this for a major company is a lost cause. We have had a few individuals get into making H body parts like Justin at Overkill and Jim at JDRace who specializes in H body rearends and parts. I personally try to do what I can for folks to find NOS or good used parts or to restore parts for them. I also try to find sources for those little parts that people need or sometimes don't even realize they may need like the shifter mounting grommets, cowl seals, glass run channels etc. There is a certain amount of expense for business to fabricate and make molds for stamped parts and the investment is often a lot more than you may realize. I applaud your efforts and by all means if you can make it happen that would be great.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby rpoz-29 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:37 pm

I shared this some time ago, but......., I bought some body panels from "Wolfe Steel" for my 4Runner three years ago. I asked if they would consider making H-Body parts. The guy acted like as long as they had a good panel to use as a template, they could. He actually seemed surprised no one was making them already. The parts I got are made of good steel, but didn't match "exactly" like factory parts, but are far less expensive. It may be worthwhile to contact them and see if they have any interest. They have a website.
rpoz-29

Postby monzaaddict » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:51 pm

monzaaddict

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:31 am

Looks promising if someone needs sheetmetal. If anyone has some good patterns or is good at drawing maybe this will work out. :th:
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby rpoz-29 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:45 am

That's the place! Might be worth contacting them. I don't know what their policy on "pattern" parts are, but I have a few items I could loan them IF I can get them back.
rpoz-29

Postby zeke » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:31 am

Imagine if door bottom patch panels were available, wow, would have saved me days. I'll save my old pieces just for something like this one day if needed. :)
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby monzaaddict » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:18 pm

http://pinsta.me/wolfparts

Personally I think it would be simper and cheaper to find clean used parts.
monzaaddict

Postby Ckill » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:23 pm

Wow never heard of those guys. Looks very promising. Seems that they build press forms and duplicate full new steel panels. Very impressive operation they have. Big question is how much will the parts cost?? I for one would pay a fair price for new metal versus trying to work an old half rusted part back to life. We all know sometimes you have no choice but time saved on something like a front fender could be better served on drivetrain or you name it.
Ckill

Postby Sunula66 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:00 pm

I'm "Chimin' in"...
we always make assumptions that no-one wishes to go further as Clyde was quick to point out and for good reason, we are a tiny specialized group...
However, let me remind everyone, that the more noise we make about a certain product and this requires more than a couple of members calling the web-sites and making telephone requests, it is always worth while!! I for one made quite an entrance at Cooper Tire and bent some "upper Management" ears as to the profitability going forward with a "run" of Cobra's and break out the molds and quit being so Himey. After many phone calls by myself and a few others, they declined...but they sure gave it more consideration when I offered to purchase these molds! I also tried till blue in the face and again, more long distance charges from Canada with a request to build the Overdrive unit for our Saginaw transmissions as they already have them for the Torque rod Turbo 350! And that J.Leno wasn't the only one in need of certain items...I'm still waiting for Henry at the Rand D at their factory to get back to me, I ain't holdin' my breath much longer...oh ya, and lets not forget the Fiberglass panel guy in Toronto...a complete failure with the exception for a few but we learned as there were several members pursuing that guy! I went out on the limb on a few occasions and by posting some of my inquiries here it seems to me that we all need to collectively jump on the ideas that come up and quit adopting the lazy thought that another member will research a possible product. I know that Doug in Michigan will develop rear panels for those of us requiring replacements for our Birds and such and in due time, I will purchase one soon but he's only one guy. The response to him for orders quite frankly is shameful and isn't understood but I guess money plays definite rules.
All I'm saying is that there aren't a whole lot of Bob Gumms and Jason's (overkill) round to help us and we need to support guys that find out a manufacturer as in this metal "panel" scenario.
Just sayin's all....
P.S. My rant went to Sanderson C.E.O. in California when my below poor quality Exhaust Headers arrived and were to be installed "with ease" as claimed by him. I'm confident as he is that they will try to do better on the next ones...don't be afraid to tell'em when they make crap either, they might as well get it right for everyone!
"remember... not everything is good on TOAST!"
3 Birds of a Feather...
#1 the Silver '80 W-66 code Formula purchased 9 years ago
#2 red "80 W-66 code Formula purchased Mar./16
#3 black '78-9 coupe with spoiler kit and 4spd 305...parted out to a Terrific H-Buddy
2015 Cruze Turbo Diesel/ Just replaced by the 2016 Sonic
'98 GMC 1/2 ton with corporate 3/4 ton driveline still makin' it all possible
Sunula66

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby jpb04619 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:30 am

i have a stack of front fenders with the portion behind the wheel rusted out...would love to have just a patch panel.....john b
jpb04619

Postby rpoz-29 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:11 am

When I ordered the panels for the 4Runner, they came in 3 pieces. They told me that they didn't stock too many parts and they were a "build when ordered" time frame. To be honest, the cost of the 3 parts per side was around 250.00-300.00 compared to 950.00+ per side for oem. The labor cost of installing a 3 piece quarter, (I know my limitations!), was higher than the oem part, but not enough to offset the total cost. When I spoke with them, they said they didn't do Camaros, Mustangs, etc because so many other companies do. Again, they seemed surprised when I told them that H-Bodies had been ignored. The reason I think these guys might help us out is because of their "build when ordered" policy. This way, once they're capable of duplicating H-Body panels, they wouldn't have a bunch of unsold inventory laying around.
rpoz-29

Postby Ckill » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:43 pm

I am glad to see more people respond to this thread and not to just rant but to make very valid points. If these manufactures don't know we need parts then they for sure will never make them. My most important point about this is that these companies that reproduce these parts already own the capabilities to produce the dies and molds to make new panels. With that expense already in their possession the real cost to make the tooling is far less than a smaller company that would have to make the tooling by hand without the technology the bigger companies already have. I for one would love to just buy a new replacement battery tray or maybe a new lower fender patch or whole rear quarter. I know many say we'll just repair what you have but we all know the hours involved in making large sheet metal pieces could take weeks if not months. Sometimes you have to put a dollar figure on your own time also. I use to own my own custom car audio shop and I can tell you from experience that time is money wheather it's your own time or somebody else's.
Ckill

Postby 79440bird » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:35 am

68 camaro battery trays work and you can find them at every swap meet for about 22 bucks. I also used a 74-84 chevy truck quarter patch panel to fix my lower fenders and rear quarters. The bump on these patch panel are close but still need tweaking to fit.
79 sunbird 440 chrysler motor indy cyl heads12bolt leaf springs 80 sunbird 3800supercharged everything from a 99 bonneville 75 cosworth 350 dual quads 84 efi vette intake mod for carbs 78 Buick skyhawk 350 buick motor A/C &TA performance intake
79440bird

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby hammerdown7 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:52 am

This company is on eBay, just be careful in handling the parts. They have very sharp edges!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Chevy ... ab&vxp=mtr

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Return to General Discussion