About 30 H-bodies crushed!

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: About 30 H-bodies crushed!

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:46 pm

Biscayne John wrote:There are not too many of those early Chrysler Mini vans left either. There was one at Hershey at the show last year unrestored class, it drew a lot of attention, same with a Chevette.

Hobbies are generational, this has become expensive. True the older (pre WWII) cars have dropped in value. I started with these cars 40 years ago. Restored cars or drivers still sell, and there are a lot of buyers in their 40's. Model A Fords are still popular due to the huge amount of parts and technical information, so it is an easy pre war car to get involved with. What I don't see are the projects getting restored anymore. I am new to H body scene and 70's cars in general for that matter. I don't see the same romance that the pre war cars had when they were 30-40 years old (which was the early 70's)
The car hobby always was and will be a time and money game, you a lot of both to play hard. What I do see in the future is the current H body cars that are running and driving surviving, and the ones on cinder blocks will either sell for scrap or become parts cars. While a few the next generation might have money, they won't have the time. It will be a selective market, or a buyers market. Like it is now with the pre war cars.

I sold my 31 Chevy a few years ago, we are talking a good running, driving, presentable, original drivetrain restored driver quality 83 year old car. It sold for less the $10K and the buyer was older then the car.....scary. It cost 20K to get the car in the condition it was. They were antiques when I was born.

My 33 year old son is the only one I have that is interested in cars. considering all three grew up around it traveling all over the country to meets and tours for the AACA and VCCA. I grew up in it also, and when my father passed away a few years ago I offered each of them a pick from one of his cars in his collection. My oldest was the only one who wanted a car. He choose one of my Dads 54 Chevrolet Bel Airs, nice car older restoration loaded with factory accy's. like power seat and windows (rare) The car sits in a rented garage all summer long and maybe goes out once or twice a year, because his wife does not like it. I wish someone gave me a turn key antique car when I was 33. I would have it out every weekend.
Right now there is an influx of prewar cars hitting the market so prices are dropping, many of those guys are dying off.

A HUGE problem with the H body cars is a lack of plastic parts around. I found it easier to find parts for my 31 then any of the H bodies own or have owned
I know what you mean first hand with many of your points! The Dodge minivan plant is local here and for the 25th Anniversary they were running ad's looking for an '84 (fist year) to display at functions and they ran them for a long time so even the "Guys" whom built them can't find them. After my Dad died we (my brothers and myself) had to find a home for his Model T Project about $10,000+ invested about 4 out but surprisingly easy sell we were Lucky and found the right guy early in the "journey", but for pennies on the dollar. And you can buy a complete Model T in parts brand new, but if a windshield and two tires are destroyed on an H, that will "Total" your H-Body as they aren't available readily, so the insurance will probably write it off :( And we brother's and I all would LOVE to keep more of my Dads things but we can't afford the space and associated cost to do so and that would add to the burden of what we will leave behind (we too aren't in our twenties anymore the baby is almost 50) so it is time to start planning to enjoy what we have and stop adding to the mess of someday dreams. I would LOVE a thirties Packard, Caddy, or even more expensive beauty of that era but impractical drivers for most of them, just something to look at and worth more than my house, tools and cars combined. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby vegastre » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:38 pm

At the time I most likely walked past a ton of H body cars and did not even notice them

By 1990 I doubt anyone noticed,
To be perfectly honest H-Body cars were crusher material and the very definition of junk cars. Up until the birth of the internet and this forum I thought my buddy and I were the only ones who looked twice at H-body's. The sheer number of new cars produced Vs. space and economics require recycling. I'm sure H-body steel DNA can be found in everything from 2015 Camaro's to a Ford Focus.
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby duckblaster67 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:12 am

What's funny is that, in the late 80s & early 90s just how many h-bodies my friends & family had! My brother had a Sunbird & a Millionth Vega & a panel Vega, my mom had 2 wagons (1 I ended up with), my dad had a Vega HB, my wife had a Monza coupe, my friend had Mirage & a Monza wagon, my stepson's dad had a Skyhawk, & myself...I had a Monza HB & coupe! Wish I had them all now! :mrgreen:
duckblaster67

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby Biscayne John » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:14 pm

duckblaster67 wrote:What's funny is that, in the late 80s & early 90s just how many h-bodies my friends & family had! My brother had a Sunbird & a Millionth Vega & a panel Vega, my mom had 2 wagons (1 I ended up with), my dad had a Vega HB, my wife had a Monza coupe, my friend had Mirage & a Monza wagon, my stepson's dad had a Skyhawk, & myself...I had a Monza HB & coupe! Wish I had them all now! :mrgreen:

It was that way with a lot of cars. In the early to mid 70's 55-57 Chevy's were all over the place, by 1977 they were gone! The late 60's were the same there were almost on every corner a 49-54 Chevy for sale in NYC for sale for anywhere from $25- $150 you had your pick of body and color, and seemed like overnight they were all gone. My Dad used to buy two at a time. He would always have one in reserve, the mechanical parts were pretty much interchangable. When something major would let go he would pull the parts he replaced keep them on the shelf to keep the next one running and junk the one that died. I just noticed the same with I guess "J" bodies Cavaliers and such and even Ford Taurus's they disappeared off the planet in the last few years. I think now cars last much longer they don't rot out and who would ever think that 150,000 miles would ever be considered a low mileage car. Better fuel delivery and lubricants are used today
John Mahoney
Long Island NY/Ocala FL
AACA
VCCA
CVOA
BCA
The Fleet
1954 Chevrolet BelAir sPort Coupe
1960 Chevrolet Impala 2 door Sport Coupe 348/340HP (AACA Grand National Winner)
1962 Chevrolet Impala 2 door Sport Coupe 409/409HP(the last one to do)
1962 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door Sedan 327 Auto (AACA Grand National Winner)
1977 Monza Mirage 4 speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon (was my mother in laws since new 42K miles)
2011 28' Bendron Titan Enclosed Trailer; what they travel in when we go
2018 GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel Crew Cab; how we get them there without sweating
2015 Cadillac CTS
Biscayne John

Postby vegastre » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:13 pm

and seemed like overnight they were all gone

This is why real deal survivors are so important these days. H-Bodies and first Gen Vega's sitting in a field are special and lucky to still be around. Granted pure numbers produced assured some to still be around but old iron is disappearing faster than we might think. If our conversation here tells us anything is we are passing through a very special time without knowing it. I'm just waiting for the time an H-Body is too valuable to crush, soon I hope.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby Biscayne John » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Years ago I had read that as rule of thumb (whatever that means) that as an average of 4%- 2% of the total production survive past 35 years. I am pretty sure that the H body cars are on the low side of that average. I don't know the overall production but that is 20,000 for every million produced. From what I have seen with H body cars I would be surprised if there is a total of over 7,000 cars left of the entire run, and about 1,000 of those are Cosworths

[quote="]I'm just waiting for the time an H-Body is too valuable to crush, soon I hope.[/quote]

I hope so.......I used to think that about a lot of cars, but after a car is sitting in a field open to the elements the pickins get real slim
John Mahoney
Long Island NY/Ocala FL
AACA
VCCA
CVOA
BCA
The Fleet
2015 Cadillac CTS
Biscayne John

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:38 pm

I disagree slightly... I think H bodies were some very coveted cars... Way more H bodies have been kept, than say Cavalier's.. (But this is because of the racing heritage) most surviving are race cars and only seen on track day. Still a few tucked away waiting for that estate sale to pop back into existence. And then the rest of the survivors. Which isn't many.

These were really useable cars, and use 'em up people did. Also I think H bodies were one of the most "parked behind the barn" cars. Eventually becoming parts cars or scrap. Since the days of these cars, most cars just get scrapped when it's time for them to go. H bodies were so loved people couldnt bare to part with them... so they parked them out back for a better day, or until you or me came knocking..."Hey about that Vega you have parked in the grass over there-- you gonna sell it someday???"
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby IMSA Monza » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Monza Harry, I had to laugh about your Dodge Caravan. We still have our 1988 Caravan we bought new. My wife used to clean it inside and out all the time. She even changed the oil in it. I don't know how many times I told her to get rid of it. Now my vehicles have been in the shop for awhile and guess what I have been driving around. Its kind of humbling. One time I left the door of my truck open and it rolled back just enough to catch onto the door handle frame and it pushed the door in. Not a scratch on my truck. I was sleeping in the dog house for awhile after that. It cost more to fix it than it was worth. Every once in awhile Ill find a part I need on ebay. One of these days I might just drop a V8 in it but leave the dents.
IMSA Monza

Postby IMSA Monza » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Also Im building a 75 "Dekon Monza" for the streets and will have lots of stuff to get rid of, front end, back end, front fenders, hood, etc. Is there anybody in North Ca. that might be looking for parts? I didn't really want to mail stuff being that the parts are big and will cost a lot to ship. I will list stuff in the for sale forum when we get most of the stuff off.
IMSA Monza

Postby mrj52 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:01 am

This whole thread is depressing...................
1977 Buick Skyhawk-----Under modification
mrj52

1977 Buick Skyhawk

Postby Diesel Dan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:49 pm

This thread got me to run by a salvage yard and see what I could find.
Out of thousands of cars only 1 H-body that I ran across.

The front fascia was obviously added since the core support is for a single headlamp.
20150421_102902.jpeg

Interesting engine mounts, aftermarket along the lines of a front engine plate.
20150421_102908.jpeg

Cowl tag
20150421_103135.jpeg

There was probably a dozen Ford T-birds from the mid 60s still there but only 1 h-body :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Postby vegastre » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:00 pm

This whole thread is depressing....

You're absolutely correct,
H-Body owners should be concerned because this thread points out that we are a dying breed. I mean factory parts haven't been available in decades. No one is going to reproduce parts for cars that are worth a couple thousand dollars at the most. Available NOS parts are getting pretty rare. a H-body Purists guy has a doubly tough road to hoe.I have noticed as of late a person will buy an H-Body and they find the website and they are all 'gun-ho' and then a few months later when they find out decent parts are non existent they list the car for sale. Very few new owners stick. I can't say I blame them.
Phil Kennedy~
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby dindin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:37 pm

I notice with these cars people seem to like to save them from the crusher, and end up with 4 or 5 cars none of which are road worthy..I think if you like it fix it up and keep it nice running condition.

Al
dindin

Postby Biscayne John » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:49 am

A lot of the "rural" yards I found sit on stuff waiting for scrap prices to jump then they cash out the stuff that has either little interest or has weight.
John Mahoney
Long Island NY/Ocala FL
AACA
VCCA
CVOA
BCA
The Fleet
2015 Cadillac CTS
Biscayne John

Postby Kev442 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:15 pm

Call me grumpy Gus today, but I will point out that this site is the one I've had virtually no takers on stuff I could have sold. People would post looking for something, I would have it in the exact color they wanted, take pictures, have a very reasonable price, and then they flake out on it. Other car guys don't even blink about dropping $200 on a dash pad or something, and I couldn't even get $40 for a whole Monza dash. The Vega guys are are better about it, but Monza guys are the most tightfisted I have ever seen in 35 years of doing car stuff.
I also went to quite a bit of trouble to save a Texas Spyder and when I posted pics I was told it was too far gone and a waste of time. Again, the Camaro guys will save a tub you can see through lengthwise, but I'm told a rock solid Tx roller is junk. It sits with no takers and I'll probably get tired of it and scrap the SOB in the end along with all the other parts cluttering up my garage. We do it to ourselves.
1978 Olds Firenza x2!
Kev442

1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion