any tricks when installing the hooker 2129 headers

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

any tricks when installing the hooker 2129 headers

Postby chevyart » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:53 pm

i have a mockup engine in my 75 vega and i have slid in the headers ( only one tube at a time) to see how clearances are . i see where i must make a little room and i will gently hit in the body and frame parts in the way(only a small amount here and there) i have a brand new set of the 2129 to be used, and i will trim off the excess flange areas past the bolt holes., and i will put the headers completely together on the engine before it goes on car just to make sure they fit together properly. question is that i dont know if it is necessary to have all the separate header tubes already laying in the engine compartment when engine is dropped in, and if there are any tricks to slipping all the tubes together into the main collectors. any other advice in doing this is greatly appreciated. thanks art
chevyart

Re: any tricks when installing the hooker 2129 headers

Postby speedphreake » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:59 am

As long as the car is jacked up high enough, the only thing I had to do was take the starter out and I could get all the header tubes out with the motor in place. Only clearance issue i had was the tubes next to the steering shaft. #5 plug boot would always get melted no matter what I did. Extra clearancing and heat boots helped.
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby Smiley » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:18 am

Mini starter for clearance and heat soak.
Accel ceramic boot plug wires, single or as a cut to length set of 8

and some type of heat sleeves
Smiley

Postby chevyart » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:45 pm

thanks jeff and smiley. my headers just clear steering shaft. i have a mini starter to use) can this be in motor when slipping headers in or does it need to be put in after(can it get past headers to be put in(or) taken out). i plan ob using the ignition wires with ceramic boots. i think that is a great idea. what angle boot clears the best?( 90 135 straight boot) . are the wire covers required on all the wires and where on the wires. are they necessary?(close to headers)question for jeff: how did you get a little clearance for boot at #5 cylinder? sure appreciate your help with this art
chevyart

Postby 73astregt » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:18 am

using an accel shorty plug in that #5 cyl will help some plus a bit of adj to the tube look in the best of section for my h body specialty tools thread and check the wrench i had to make just for that plug. i installed my headers after the engine as per the instructions right side main part went in partially then starter was bolted up and wired then header was installed the rest of the way. probably shorty plugs would be the best in all cyls.had to notch the crossmember for the headers too everything is real close with these headers!
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby firebird77clone » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:03 pm

Dam the warranty and wrap the headders.

Also you can use the extra to make socks, or booties for your plug wires.
firebird77clone

Postby speedphreake » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:35 pm

I used some heat to warm up the tube, set a piece of pipe against it and gave it some love with a hammer. Other than that, I had no problem with plugs or wires. Put the motor in without the starter. one of the last things I do is set the header in place, just hanging. Put the starter in and wire, then bolt up the header. The header has to be dropped if you need to take the starter out for any reason.
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby chevyart » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:15 pm

thanks for info guys. now i know exactly what the procedure is. sorry for late thanks. went into hosp last friday night and just gout out today(thurs) and my number one priority was to get back to vega business. jeff: hope to catch up with you this season. wanna see that nice car of yours fly down the track. art
chevyart

Return to General Discussion