Oldsmobile Center Caps

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Oldsmobile Center Caps

Postby starfire » Thu May 07, 2015 8:53 pm

OK, I've built up a collection of 15 caps in good shape (4 appear to be NOS) and three in terrible shape. I've got two questions about these if anyone wants to show off how smart they are:

1. The outside appears to be aluminum, based on the way they react with a magnet. The magnet is barely attracted, but I think that is because of the steel "fingers" inside that hold the cap to the wheel. So, does anyone know for sure that they are aluminum?

2. If they are aluminum, do they have a coating on them (like aluminum wheels sometimes do)?

3. Most of my caps look like the aluminum is brushed. But a couple of them look like they are polished (almost look like chrome). Did they use a different finish on these in different years?

4. Most of the decals on my caps are black, with a hexagon around a rocket on a red background. But four of them are black with a hexagon around a rocket on a black background. Anyone know why some rocket backgrounds are black and some red?

No prizes for correct answers other than bragging rights that you know more than me (which is not really saying a lot...)

Thanks,
Alan

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Convertible
1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

"Starfire, the Oldsmobile you didn't expect"
starfire

Re: Oldsmobile Center Caps

Postby lleelduo » Fri May 08, 2015 7:45 am

I have not seen the Olds caps new. IF they are aluminum then the finish is probably brite anodized. Where that has gone bad is the white cloudy appearance. I would say they were a Polished appearance to match the polished stainless insets that go in the wheel slots on the Olds and Buick rally wheels
Larry Leitz

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari sport wagon
1969 Chevrolet Impala SS 427 convertiable
2016 Chevrolet Volt
2016 Chevrolet City Express
lleelduo

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby zeke » Fri May 08, 2015 9:05 am

Could be cast in white metal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_metal
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cammerjeff » Sat May 09, 2015 11:06 am

Alan,

All I can add to this is the 79 Firenza I parted out had chromed pot metal caps in very bad shape, so I would guess the Aluminum ones would be earlier model years.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby starfire » Sat May 09, 2015 10:37 pm

Is pot metal magnetic?
Alan

starfire

Postby Monza Harry » Sun May 10, 2015 1:45 am

No Pot Metal is the same (perhaps very slight variations in alloying amounts) as white metal, Aluminum and Zinc, and that would have no magnetic effect, perhaps as suggested you are feeling the inner snap clip. That second alloying element o is the reason for the low weld-ability, zinc is what we use for galvanizing. I am absolutely positive these parts from that era are all "die-cast white metal" Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby starfire » Sun May 10, 2015 8:15 pm

Hmmm, I did some reading up on pot metal, and I think that is what they are (they do seem too heavy to be aluminum). Looks like with some metal polish and some elbow grease I should be able to get them shiny again. Mask off the decal and spray them with clear coat and hopefully they will stay shiny for a while. I'll see how shiny I can get them and post some before and after pictures.
Alan

starfire

Return to General Discussion