1979 monza crash test

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

1979 monza crash test

Postby lleelduo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Larry Leitz

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari sport wagon
1969 Chevrolet Impala SS 427 convertiable
2016 Chevrolet Volt
2016 Chevrolet City Express
lleelduo

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Re: 1979 monza crash test

Postby ol55 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Larry, Thanks For posting.

Around 5 minutes, it looks like the "upper" unibody is moving and the lower body is staying in place. Interesting.

Larry
'73 Vega GT Hatchback hot rod.
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:35 pm

Neat video, Thanks for sharing it.. I thought it was going to be a re-run of the hatchback. I hadn't seen the coupe. It appears to me that

1. It did better than the hatch in this crash...

2. seems to have done what you'd want, and the designer's intended it do...crumple the trunk area to absorb the energy, while allowing the passenger area to stay intact.

3. The seat backs seemed to have failed, but it seems like that may have also lessened head trauma, as the dummies heads seemed to stay in the same general area of space and time, over the course of the impact.

4. I wonder if that test mule had a spare tire.... would have been interesting to see a few more tests with typical things in the trunk, like golf clubs or tools or a full sized spare tire.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:00 am

marco_1978_spyder wrote:
4. I wonder if that test mule had a spare tire.... would have been interesting to see a few more tests with typical things in the trunk, like golf clubs or tools or a full sized spare tire.

Marco My '76 had the full size spare from the factory and the hold down was probably a 5/16" rod, with some kind of "flange" and large wing nut (in addition to the one behind the steering wheel) I never made it move and I tried! :burn: :burnout: Etc. I did change it over to the inflate a spare and I would be way more worried about that CO2 canister as I don't recall anything holding that in there and it was HEAVY and steel, no big soft rubber doughnut [tire] to lessen the blow! I wondered about younger kids [10/12yrs.] in the back seat, mom and dad on their laps and no head rest to protect their necks. Harry P.S. here is the hatch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whXw6z2CIoA
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Sunula66 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:09 am

Harry,
lol you ole Night-hawk...I couldn't help but wonder if you might have had flash backs after this video, as maybe I did when one of the members here showed us a vid of an H getting crushed at the recycler's lol...but in all seriousness, these cars took a pretty good whalop and I'm impressed. That being said, how do they measure up by todays standards? It would be interesting to see a low mileage "drone" model of an H take a test today but I myself don't have a donor car other than my parts biotch and it's pretty soft..(my John Deere stressed it when I pulled it with three flats and itsa lawn tractor) :lol:...I always keep in mind when driving our relics the body and metal fatigue possibilities.
On a side note: keep in mind certain items and hardware become additional injury causing objects. The mention of tire jacks and tools and even the tire mentioned by Harry reminded me of a couple of crashes that I attended. The most serious being that of two concrete chimney blocks placed in the rear compartment(for traction weight) of a Gremlin that was hit head on. The woman driver survived however lucky as when I pulled the seat back that was crushed and held forward by the blocks releasing her. It's these sorts of items that become projectiles when not held in place. Also, don't keep pens in your pockets when driving as they impale the occupant in a crash.
Test vehicles are tested under controlled circumstances so wondering why the spare tire stuff wasn't there myself.
Winter driving is approaching in a lot of our member's areas and will soon be here and the H-body's are being stored away. Please be safe on the roads this winter everyone. Videos like these remind us of what could happen and our newer cars and trucks still leave us vulnerable.
"remember... not everything is good on TOAST!"
3 Birds of a Feather...
#1 the Silver '80 W-66 code Formula purchased 9 years ago
#2 red "80 W-66 code Formula purchased Mar./16
#3 black '78-9 coupe with spoiler kit and 4spd 305...parted out to a Terrific H-Buddy
2015 Cruze Turbo Diesel/ Just replaced by the 2016 Sonic
'98 GMC 1/2 ton with corporate 3/4 ton driveline still makin' it all possible
Sunula66

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby classic_cruiser » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:11 pm

That video brings back bad memories of when I was rear-ended in my '80 sunbird coupe back in '89... crumpled almost exactly the same way, although not quite as bad. I was hit by a 4-door late 80's full-size oldsmobile at 40MPH while I was almost at a standstill. Didn't break the glass but it bent the wheel wells so hard they rubbed on the insides of the tires, bent the trunk down the same way, jammed the doors shut, but the trunk lid was undamaged. I had a large toolbox, a camera in a camera bag, and a tripod across the rear in the trunk. Surprisingly, only the aluminum tripod was damaged by a single little dent.

The full-size olds faired worse... wiped out the entire front end, hood, and the engine started burning antifreeze before she could get it shut off.

Terry
1980 Pontiac Sunbird, 2.5L Notchback Coupe
1979 Pontiac Sunbird with transplanted Monza 305, notchback coupe
classic_cruiser

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:15 pm

My '71 Poncho Ventura II was rammed into out front years ago and sandwiched between the ramey and another [parked] full-size and it bent it so hard it pulled the battery out of it's mount and the centre post (4-door) right out of the roof! I just went in and hadn't even finished sitting down when it was hit but for all the damage the passenger compartment wasn't altered much, that was a 10yr. old rust belt car, almost 30yrs. ago The Manufacturers had a pretty good handle on these things for a long time now. The owners manual warns us, even in my '71 about storing "Projectiles in the passenger area, as do things like all my stereo speaker instructions, warning to secure adequately And I just did a follow up to Marco's inquiry about the spare! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby marco_1978_spyder » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:35 pm

I slid a Monza out in front of a 65 Chrysler New yorker and got T boned by it. The monza drove home, but was gone.
1978 Monza Spyder V8 4speed, posi
1978 Sunbird Formula V6, 5 Speed, Hatchback
1980 Sunbird Hatchback 4cyl, 4spd.
2006 Chevrolet Aveo 5 speed Hatchback
Yes, you can refer to me as Mark
Please visit my blog... http://chevymonza.blogspot.com/ Follow if you like!
Featuring special guests; Carl Beraytor and Ray D'atore

My Red spyder now has a youtube channel please Like and Subscribe!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOzzSR ... ISuing7KLA
marco_1978_spyder
Senior Moderator

Return to General Discussion