Sanderson headers rant

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sanderson headers rant

Postby beakerztoyz » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:58 pm

BillB1210 wrote:Sand blast the GM manifolds. Powder coat them or use Eastwood cast iron coating. Enjoy the muffled sound when the engine runs - not the clanging of the exhaust hitting thin tubes. Give up 10 horsepower, lower rear end gear ratio an increment and same rear wheel power result.

Bill :lol:

oh sure bring up the fact that I still have the stupid 4 bolt wheel 7.5 rear end while we're at it, changing gears might be costlier than adding real headers.

zeke wrote:Looks like the #5 cylinder plug interference issue has been dealt with now.

wow... you did a great job with the hammer!
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby zeke » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:05 pm

beakerztoyz wrote:wow... you did a great job with the hammer!

They did a good job? lol That's the way it comes. :rolleyes:
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby BillB1210 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:53 am

Btoyz,

A set of early S-10 axles, drums and a Richmond Gear ring and pinion are the least expensive horsepower at the rear wheels that I know of. Of course if you own one of these H's long enough, this will just be perhaps just "this years" project! I still believe this mod is less expensive than headers and a new custom dual exhaust system.

Bill
1980 Monza 2+2 Purchased new in April 1980
ZZ2 GM Crate Engine 345 HP 350 CID 5-speed T5
BillB1210

Postby beakerztoyz » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:11 pm

They did a good job? lol That's the way it comes. :rolleyes:[/quote]

In that case I retract my statement, while I would have done that and assumed the one posting did that and had them recoated as a quick fix way to get around the problem, A header manufacturer should have figured out a better way than that of doing it. shows very poor design quality on thier part
1980 monza spyder.... v8

beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby beakerztoyz » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:17 pm

BillB1210 wrote:Btoyz,

A set of early S-10 axles, drums and a Richmond Gear ring and pinion are the least expensive horsepower at the rear wheels that I know of. Of course if you own one of these H's long enough, this will just be perhaps just "this years" project! I still believe this mod is less expensive than headers and a new custom dual exhaust system.

Bill

I already have true dual exhaust on the car, I just used factory monza manifolds instead of headers. I have not seen a set of richmond gears that will go straight into the stock 7.5 I thought they stopped making them ( i could b wrong) I was told that to use s 10 gears they would have to be machined down, and based on prices I've seen from one of the guys who sells gears here I'm still unsure if it's better to do the s10 mod or just buy a real rearend
1980 monza spyder.... v8

beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby BillB1210 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:33 am

Try GM Jim in Ohio. Jim Mitzke. Very good to work with. Got mine from Jim. My case was 3.43's to fit original Posi. carrier.
1980 Monza 2+2 Purchased new in April 1980
ZZ2 GM Crate Engine 345 HP 350 CID 5-speed T5
BillB1210

Postby 73astregt » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:21 am

hi tim, make yourself a wrench like mine in the link I had to use it and an accell shorty plug on my #5 cylinder with my hooker 2129 headers. shorty plug will give you a little more room to get the wrench on the plug but if its as close as mine youll need at least a sock on it if not something better or it will keep burning a hole thru the plug boot, been there! most times even with the special wrench I have to reah up from underneath the car to get that one plug loose cause of the oil dipstick being right in the way from the top heres the link with my special wrench, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22770 edit, read thru my thread with the wrench and remembered that I also had to remove the cap on the plug for more clearance b4 I reshaped the pipe more when I did my 5 speed swap good luck! fred.
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby DaManIam » Mon May 15, 2023 10:54 am

I ran into the same issue, I don't want to cut the body like the picture lower in this thread. Engine is already in the car (again) and I'd rather have headers that fit correctly. I am using factory mounts that are not worn out at all, the engine is in the factory location.
DaManIam

Postby zeke » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:14 am

Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Previous

Return to General Discussion