Still stoked I got this sunbird coupe spoiler

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Still stoked I got this sunbird coupe spoiler

Postby beakerztoyz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:18 pm

Image Image Image Image Image Image

I 'm still so happy I aquired this spoiler and a bunch of 4 speed parts for my sunbird last week !!!! it does need a ton of work which as you can see I've started. I'm probably gonna have 50 hours into it by the time I'm done fixing the broken parts and some idiots doodling with some kind of tool.... When I'm done I'm probaby gonna have to paint the whole car to match the spoiler which means another bunch of work ( did I ever mention I'm really not sure if I even like workin on cars ) but anyways I'm excited and had to share.

Probably a lost cause but there are 2 holes on the back of the spoiler on the curved part on the drivers side of the back where it appears some kind of emblem went... anyone know what that emblem was ? or said ?
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Re: Still stoked I got this sunbird coupe spoiler

Postby EagleFish » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:01 pm

Congrats and good luck!

I still need one for my Sunbird.

John
(John and Richard)
EagleFish

1978 Buick Skyhawk

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:57 pm

TJ The Monza Had a small "CHEVROLET" emblem there so maybe a "PONTIAC" I seem to recall a few car with that, but that was a long time ago! Those are on the right rear corner correct? Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Sunula66 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:09 pm

Harry, I'm thinkin' cuz it says Pontiac in sticker form on the right it was probably the car dealership name on the left side...2 holes makes sense...
TJ that roughness is what Harry and I described as a poor quality Jell-coat and left pin holes so that moisture was able to be trapped in them and over the years, freezing thawing freezing etc. has caused a "break away" of minute amounts of the coating...but a good fiberglass cover will do the job nicely!
Good Score by the way :th: :) and, WE NEED PICS...when it's all said and done...oh, and installed...oh and the car painted to match the spoiler..the last one was just kiddin.. :lol: 8)
"remember... not everything is good on TOAST!"
3 Birds of a Feather...
#1 the Silver '80 W-66 code Formula purchased 9 years ago
#2 red "80 W-66 code Formula purchased Mar./16
#3 black '78-9 coupe with spoiler kit and 4spd 305...parted out to a Terrific H-Buddy
2015 Cruze Turbo Diesel/ Just replaced by the 2016 Sonic
'98 GMC 1/2 ton with corporate 3/4 ton driveline still makin' it all possible
Sunula66

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby beakerztoyz » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:13 am

hmm, the car dealership idea is an interesting one, what little i could find suggested these spoilers came as part of the formula package so I was wondering if it woulda said that. kinda strange that it's on the opposite side from where the pontiac sticker is... in fact kind of strange it would have a metal emblem there at all but there are 2 holes 4.5 inches apart and one has a stud broken off in it. Thats a great explanation for the problems with the fiberglass Ron :th: and thanks again :th: I'll be sure and share pics, I really didn't want to paint this car for a few years .... or at all.... but this spoiler has probably forced my hand because I doubt I can color match it to the car. So instead of building my hatchback spyder I'll probably end up having to take this whole car apart again to paint it :bang: :bang:

Eaglefish thanks for wishing me luck with it I need all the luck I can get !
1980 monza spyder.... v8

beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby 79440bird » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:51 pm

I didn't know a sunbird coupe had a 3 piece spoiler? Thought the coupe was a 1 piece spoiler? Isn't sunbird trunk lid with a bump down the middle and the monza truck lid flat? Please show some pictures of this spoiler on the car. Thanks.
Doug
79 sunbird 440 chrysler motor indy cyl heads12bolt leaf springs 80 sunbird 3800supercharged everything from a 99 bonneville 75 cosworth 350 dual quads 84 efi vette intake mod for carbs 78 Buick skyhawk 350 buick motor A/C &TA performance intake
79440bird

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby beakerztoyz » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:23 pm

I'll for sure post some pics after I mount it for a test fit, stupid me didn't take any pictures of it on the car it came off of. I have no idea if the monza has a flat trunk or not because I've never seen one up close, but you are correct my sunbird has a bump, or ridge in the centre of it. the spoiler is actually shaped to go over it. There are a couple of other guys on here that have this same spoiler on thier cars. each corner piece has a stud to hold it to the car, just like camaro's and such did. here is a picture of a different angle of the middle piece, you can see here how it wraps down over the end of the trunk. if you look towards the top on what would be the front of the spoiler where the light is hitting it that little bump is what goes over the bump in the trunk lid. :) Image
1980 monza spyder.... v8

beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby 79440bird » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:20 pm

Very nice. Can't wait to see pictures. I never knew about this spoiler.
I only own hatchbacks. Currently started making the molds for the sunbird 3 piece hatchback, center piece not started yet but the end pieces are almost done. Green one is the part I made /white is the original.
More stuff coming in the future
Currently working the sunbird hatchback fillerpanel and have been being picky with the mold. Hope to have a few parts made for the show in Ohio
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
79 sunbird 440 chrysler motor indy cyl heads12bolt leaf springs 80 sunbird 3800supercharged everything from a 99 bonneville 75 cosworth 350 dual quads 84 efi vette intake mod for carbs 78 Buick skyhawk 350 buick motor A/C &TA performance intake
79440bird

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby 73astregt » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:58 pm

the sunbird trunk cars had the bump in the middle of the trunk lid and the spoiler the hatchback didn't have the bump I have a sunbird hatchback rear spoiler here I removed from a car in case someone needed it but no one wants to pay what I need to recoupe my costs on it. my hatchback spoiler has no metal emblems on it just the stripes and formula sunbird decal on it cant get at it to take pics right now its in storage over an hours drive from me
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby beakerztoyz » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:49 pm

73astregt wrote:the sunbird trunk cars had the bump in the middle of the trunk lid and the spoiler the hatchback didn't have the bump I have a sunbird hatchback rear spoiler here I removed from a car in case someone needed it but no one wants to pay what I need to recoupe my costs on it. my hatchback spoiler has no metal emblems on it just the stripes and formula sunbird decal on it cant get at it to take pics right now its in storage over an hours drive from me

Interestingly enough I found a spoiler like that on a car at a wrecking yard many years ago, and knowing ( from one of these h body sites I assume) that they were quite rare I pulled it off of the car, I think I paid like 20 bucks or so for it, I sold it on ebay to somebody somewhere.. it had decals like you describe, does your spoiler drop down at the back ? for some reason I don't recall the one i had doing that but it was many years ago but I was thinking the middle piece was shaped like the ones on the hatchback monza's. is your spoiler fiberglass or urethane ?
1980 monza spyder.... v8

beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Return to General Discussion