nothing ever fits anymore

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

nothing ever fits anymore

Postby astre75 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:49 am

I have been around h-bodies for many years and enjoyed the car hobby quite a bit,but now in this age of everything you buy is junk it really takes all the fun out of the car build,I can't explain how much trouble I've had with all of these people selling parts to all us car lovers and nothing ever fits properly,all you have to do is go online and search any company like sanderson,hooker headers,transcrap you will find endless reviews from customers disappointed in there so called products,sorry about all the bitching but I can honestly say this car I'm working on, if I can ever get it back together, it will be my last vehicle build ever and that is directly related to the many garbage parts I've had to deal with.To bad they seem to have to take the fun out of what used to be a really enjoyable hobby.I FEEL A BIT BETTER,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT.
astre75

Re: nothing ever fits anymore

Postby OldsStarfire » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:42 pm

Agreed - my older brothers had an expression - stock as a rock. The original parts are so much better than aftermarket replacements. When you do find a good source - stick with it. I've had good luck with Inline tube. They make brake & fuel lines and lots of restoration hardware.
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby dindin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:41 pm

What happens in my experience is lots of times a good company where the owners actually involved in manufacturing and who has an excellent product and reputation gets bought out ..

Now the owners and people who started the company are long gone but the new company keeps the old name and sells a cheapened product to make them the most money..where they spend more money in advertising the product and hardly anything on R&D..

So we see hooker or hurst or crager or whatever and its good, when in fact its just a name stamped on a crappy made product.

Al
dindin

Postby beakerztoyz » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:31 pm

you are so right, I've mostly used factory parts to build my sunbird to the road legal point, it took me years to find all the proper parts, honestly trying to find all the proper parts just to rebuild the suspension and brakes etc over the years has really taken the fun out of things, now it's all good to original stuff and I find I can't even buy decent tires to fit on the 13 inch mags that took so long to find all those years ago. so in order to get decent tires I'll probably have to convert the whole car to 5 bolt wheels. I honestly used to love working on cars, and even this one but 15 years of fighting it has really made me rethink the whole car hobby.
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Postby astre75 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:33 pm

I hear what your saying,I think alot of our american counterparts maybe dont see it as bad as we do in canada,I just bought the hooker header front mount kit for my v8 and there is issues with bolt hole line up.That is the reason I didn't get the transcrap mount because I heard horror stories about them,,did not matter me paying more for the hooker kit there is still issues,,,,I'm glad I know a machine shop guy or I would be ready to throw the towel in,,,I'm like you I have been working on my car since 2000 and it has been a struggle.all we can do is fix it and carry on at this point,,,,TY FOR YOUR RESPONSE :D
astre75

Return to General Discussion