installing centerlink

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

installing centerlink

Postby chevyart » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:34 pm

installing my new dropped centerlink, and it is tightened up to pitman arm and new idler arm, tightened with a wrench, turning easily. now the wrench really wont do the rest of the job and i have about 3/16" to go up on both the pitman and the idler arm.gonna use a big rachet to tighten the rest of the way, but want to be certain that i am right in what im doing. its seems like i will really have to force the tapered shafts up into the idler and pitman arms. is this common. dont want to strip or break anything. i just put anti sieze on bot tapered studs. maybe i should have used white lithium grease ? any suggestions thanks art
chevyart

Re: installing centerlink

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:28 pm

Art, there is no need to tighten it that much.The tapered end will only go in so far, not all the way. There should be a foam or rubber gasket between the two which takes up the gap you are probably seeing. Do not over tighten, I forget the torque spec but it is not that much, then you have to align the nut for the cotter pin
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby chevyart » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:53 pm

thanks CJ. didnt want to go any more than i did.I just tightened it all the way up in taper. till it kind of stopped. i also thought that if it was brought up all the way to where the two flat spots meet, then a pickle fork would never get in there to loosen things up later down the road. will snug it up tomorrow with rachett and find the torque spec. thanks for your good advice. art
chevyart

Postby chevyart » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:20 am

CJ the torque specs for all the center link parts is 35 ft lbs, and a tad more to turn for the cotter pins. the idler arm to frame torque is 60 lbs. art
chevyart

Return to General Discussion