Looking for carpet

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for carpet

Postby ol55 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:58 pm

Looking for black carpet to put in my '73. Not looking for original as the shifter area has been modified. Would like to buy enough to do the back and hatch area. Wide and long enough so I do not have to piece it together. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Larry
'73 Vega GT Hatchback hot rod.
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Re: Looking for carpet

Postby OldsStarfire » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Your local upholstery shop should have it in stock or be able to get it pretty easy.
OldsStarfire

1977 Oldsmobile Starfire SX

Postby BillB1210 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:59 pm

Larry,

Try ACA in Alabama, They make almost all auto carpets. Call them with your needs.

Bill
1980 Monza 2+2 Purchased new in April 1980
ZZ2 GM Crate Engine 345 HP 350 CID 5-speed T5
BillB1210

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Do you mean ACC? Auto Custom Carpets....they also sell the carpeting by the yard.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby BillB1210 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:20 am

Yes, ACC Dothan, Alabama! Sorry - typo.

Bill
1980 Monza 2+2 Purchased new in April 1980
ZZ2 GM Crate Engine 345 HP 350 CID 5-speed T5
BillB1210

Postby chevyart » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:09 pm

i think this company has been discussed before. i think they make the carpets with details even for certain model H-bodies. one problem years ago was that the carpets didnt go up the firewall enough(ended too close to floorpan.) when ordering, go into details about exactly what you expect the carpet to be. also, is it cut out for seat bolts. i seem to think that that was also an issue. other than that , they have a fine product. you can get the carpets with and without backing. they have a website. art
chevyart

Postby zeke » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:57 pm

Lot of cutting required!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby starfire » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:09 pm

If you have a stick-shift car, do not get any extra soundproofing. I did that, and I'm going to have to replace the carpet at the first chance I get. The extra soundproofing is thick enough that it's almost impossible to get my foot between the brake pedal and the transmission hump to press the gas pedal, and once I do get it there, my shoe catches on the brake pedal pad coming up to do any braking. I am afraid I will take the brake pedal pad off with my shoe someday.
Alan

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Convertible
1978 Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza

"Starfire, the Oldsmobile you didn't expect"
starfire

Postby chevyart » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:16 am

damm. i will be reluctant to get a new carpet now for my car. looks like too much work for me art
chevyart

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:20 am

I installed a ACC carpet a couple years ago, it was a PIA but it really depends how picky you are. In my case, I think it's a problem because my car is a 75 with a different floorpan than later Monza's. I am also REALLY picky. I added some extra insulation to try and fill some voids, but one issue I have is that they do a nice job molding the carpet to the floorpan and then cram it in this little box for shipping. So there ends up being a lot of wrinkles and some hard creases that are very hard to get out. A hair dryer helps but again it depends how perfect you want it to be. I did order mine "untrimmed" so that I had extra material for the firewall. Overall it looks good now, but I still have a couple small issues I need to work out yet. I agree that you need to be careful adding insulation as I had a real issue getting the seats to fit against the tunnel as well as the problem with limited clearance between the gas pedal and tunnel. I still need to be aware of what shoes I wear when I drive it as some are wider than others, and I only wear size 8 shoes!! I also had problems because the seat studs/bolts were not long enough to go through the floor....aaarrggghhhh. However, a new carpet makes a world of difference in how the interior looks so don't hesitate to do it, just be aware of the pitfalls. ACC does not drill holes or make any cuts in the carpet which is actually a good thing as you can fine tune the position and make your own cuts. If you do it contact me for some more tips.....
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:07 am

cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby starfire » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:37 pm

chevyart wrote:damm. i will be reluctant to get a new carpet now for my car. looks like too much work for me art

Art, if you get just the carpet with the jute backing (you can do what Clyde suggested and add extra padding where needed), it really isn't too bad of a job. The heavy rubber insulation that I got on mine made it twice as hard to work with as the regular stuff would be. Just a lot of "Measure 4 times, cut once". Tips like cutting "x's" instead of holes for the seat studs are helpful too. Clyde is correct, a new carpet makes the whole car look better.
Alan

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Convertible

"Starfire, the Oldsmobile you didn't expect"
starfire

Return to General Discussion