build manuals

Anything H-body related, but please use one of the topic-specific forums below if appropriate

Moderator: Moderators

build manuals

Postby beakerztoyz » Sat May 21, 2016 10:43 pm

Hi, I remember looking for a manual for my sunbird back when I was first starting it and never being able to find one, but a recent post on a facebook h body site led me to find that thier is in fact shop manuals available for monza's. I got talking to my father today about wanting to get one soon and he mentioned that it might be even better to have a build manual. he has a book for his 70 chevelle that is what they used in the factory to assemble them, it has pictures of how to assemble everything. was there anything like that made for h body cars ??? anyone have one ??
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Re: build manuals

Postby Monza Harry » Sat May 21, 2016 10:57 pm

beakerztoyz wrote:Hi, I remember looking for a manual for my sunbird back when I was first starting it and never being able to find one, but a recent post on a facebook h body site led me to find that thier is in fact shop manuals available for monza's. I got talking to my father today about wanting to get one soon and he mentioned that it might be even better to have a build manual. He has a book for his 70 chevelle that is what they used in the factory to assemble them, it has pictures of how to assemble everything. Was there anything like that made for h body cars ??? Anyone have one ??

Yes there were "Build Manuals" available. Pretty hard come by today, put an ad in the wanted section here and comb eBay relentlessly. I have the complete set of service manuals for the '76 Monza [my first H-Body, these were purchased new in the early '80's] including the '74 Vega book that covers some details that were common to both and the complete '76 wiring diagrams [covers all Chevy's for that year] and I went the eBay route for my '78 service manual. There is a guy that I see at the local area swap meets that only does literature, I am sure that there is a guy like that near you as well, give you an excuse to go to the swap meets you want to go to anyway! With some patients you will build the "Library" you want/need, maybe lots of patients are required? My set didn't happen over night, these were around $20 IIRC back then, A lot of money for a kid in his early twenties working for just above minimum wage [which was $3.85/hr.]. I'll keep my eyes open for you! Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: build manuals

Postby beakerztoyz » Sun May 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Thanks for the info, I totally intend to order a monza service manual off of e bay... I'm still debating just which to get as my car is an 80 model but I feel the manual for a 79 might apply better as it would have stuff on the v8 and my car's have v8's in them.

I'm glad to know they made build manuals, I may put a 4 speed in one of my cars now that I have almost all the parts and pictures of how everything works together could be very helpful since I have no idea. I'm kind of on the assumption here that the service manual will be like the one I have for my Harley, where it tells you most of what to do but sometimes doesn't explain things well and has very few diagrams.

Swap meets hahahahahahahaha ya.... we have one here every year, there's even a guy who comes and has tables full of manuals for everything except a monza, I look and ask him but he's never had one couldn't even tell me where to get one..... basically everything else there is either total junk... or used aftermarket stuff that I can buy cheaper brand new from summit or wherever, and there is never any h body parts there. honestly I was glad I was on vacation a few months ago when they had it because it saved me from wasting money on admission.
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Return to General Discussion